• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
20200117_113450.jpg
Umbrella bar area about 11 mst at the butte

Just a little teeny tiny bit of sideways snow. Poor vis but having fun. Apparently I got the wax right they were fast, which was good since were running on freebies.

Last edited:

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I heard it took people 6+ hours to go from Denver to Summit County. That’s so crazy! Did CDOT even plow?

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Was at A Basin yesterday. Cold day and snow was pretty good, but the wind did a number and snow was variable above treeline at least where I skied.

Ikon Base was blacked out and there was lots of parking, no lift lines, perhaps goes to show how many Ikon holders are showing up? Previous weekend felt on the busy side.

Hit Morrison exit at 5:30 and no problems getting up.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
20200119_154320.jpg
Great blue bird day. It was busy but not bad. Tried to hit 20k today, was short. Only got 16500 in, no time for pics, we didnt even eat lunch until 3 pm

Attachments

• 20200119_154325.jpg
    20200119_154325.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 3

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Since we had yet another storm bust (NOAA was only predicting about an inch so maybe not a bust), here’s more from yesterday.

I think this is Challenger off 9. Don’t ski in there much due to shark infestation, but there were some nice lines with good coverage. #skithewind

7826DB9E-9A6C-431C-9B5F-53D299F26A35.jpeg 2BE98F3A-ED1C-4FC9-A7F8-6EAA0E0A1F20.jpeg

Also a closer look at the Primer avy crown and debris field. It’s a nice January day when the gloves can comfortably come off for Chair 9 lift pics.

B9451F87-11D7-478D-8424-DB86F7CA10BE.jpeg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
In other news, I’m going to try and hit Monarch on my way into CB for the weekend avy 1 course I’m taking with my older boys. Any tips for a 2-3 hour tour?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In other news, I’m going to try and hit Monarch on my way into CB for the weekend avy 1 course I’m taking with my older boys. Any tips for a 2-3 hour tour?
Yes. Mirkwood if you are up for a hike. Maybe not if you really mean only 2 hours though. Short but great views and many options for the downhill. I have found making a right turn just before the top of the hike takes you through the trees at Lodgeview and it often has had nicer snow than the bowl. Gunbarrel.. and even better Gunbarrel trees ..can be worth the schlep because most folks won't do it. Just make sure you don't miss the left turn at the bottom or you will end up in the parking lot. If you ski Curicanti, do it early as it gets sunbaked. I prefer getting into Christmas Trees from above the lift shack rather than under it. The thing about Monarch is that there are lots of little mini shots all over if you are willing to explore and do a little traversing or hiking. Trees are nice all over too. It has been a couple of years since I skied there but the bar/restaurant is fun and the soups are home made. If you stay in Salida we always liked the boathouse cantina. Food is OK but always a lively atmosphere and big draft beer selection. It is small. You wont get lost.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^thanks - a little hiking and spot finding is what I’m looking for so I can get a good feel and maximize a full day trip later in the season.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Did anybody go? I got stuck with a quarter close deal at Mo Burrito in Salida less than 30 mins from Monarch. Bummer, because there was windbuff blowing in (true for the highway = true for the ski area?) and nobody there.

3E446B01-78D9-4003-A838-4B507EE02628.jpeg

Monday it is. I heard that 285 closed for snow - finally some good NW flow orographics for somewhere outside of LCC.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Loveland was a big surprise today. Reported 8”, found 12”-15” once we were there, off Chair 4 and 8. Blower snow below treeline and dumped all day. And it was empty! Best day of the season for me so far. I love Loveland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online