• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
We’ll see how the early season crowds compare this year... I don’t see Ikon pass holders using one of their days on a WROD or two, but you never know.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We’ll see how the early season crowds compare this year... I don’t see Ikon pass holders using one of their days on a WROD or two, but you never know.

That is what I was thinking but the crowds were so insane last year bell to bell that its hard to imagine that not happening again but this pass change has to have some effect.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Question for the weather forecasting "geniuses" on our thread... How often has a great snow season been followed by another "at least good" season? I am assuming that it's not often. So far it looks like the storm track that has settled in is looking very good for Big Sky and Jackson this season.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Probably not often....however, they are relatively independent events. A good season last year probably doesn't have an impact on good vs bad season this year.

It's just that "great" snow years are probably only 1 in 10.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I watched the update at noon and it looks like the storm is tracking slightly north of the original predictions. Looks great for places in WY and MT but Copper is not looking too bad. Forecast for Thu is heavy snow. I can do without the red flag warnings between now and then.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This upcoming storm as illustrated by Chris Tomer:

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 12.09.16 AM.png

This type of storm setup is usually very very good for Vail Pass and surrounding areas. (even T ride if it gets far enough south).

We are still a month away from consistent snows but its still great to see.

Forecast for the 2-3 weeks after this storm. Pretty dry in Colorado which is somewhat normal for the period.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Question for the weather forecasting "geniuses" on our thread... How often has a great snow season been followed by another "at least good" season? I am assuming that it's not often. So far it looks like the storm track that has settled in is looking very good for Big Sky and Jackson this season.

This means absolutely nothing outside of cold temps for snow making right now, meaning we just have a current strong northern storm track.

The cold temps for snowmaking are what’s up in early Oct.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We are going to see openings soon. Like @RachelV I wonder if it A-Basin pulls Friday.

E8800849-8E86-4235-B96D-AD8035DDB912.jpeg

Low temps at my house at 7,400’ are forecast at 6° for Thursday night. That’s really cold for early Oct.

I will be on the beach in Santa Cruz and figure Luv opens next week, meaning no lines and real skiing.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We are going to see openings soon. Like @RachelV I wonder if it A-Basin pulls Friday.

View attachment 81796

Low temps at my house at 7,400’ are forecast at 6° for Thursday night. That’s really cold for early Oct.

I will be on the beach in Santa Cruz and figure Luv opens next week, meaning no lines and real skiing.

Guess im not the only one out of town (working). There is a 100% Chance that LL will be open when I get back. :roflmao:

I first gotta take my skis to the shop and get everything ready :thumb::cool:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Guess im not the only one out of town (working). There is a 100% Chance that LL will be open when I get back. :roflmao:

I first gotta take my skis to the shop and get everything ready :thumb::cool:

This is work for me, too, just with a bit of surf and suds.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Keystone had a cat out pushing piles today. No signs on the cams that I can tell that A-Basin has ventured that far.

Don’t count out Vail opening Keystone on a skinny WROD as early as A-Basin or LL. They spent real money on a state of the art snowmaking system. They do have more terrain to cover in total. But water supply is not an issue, and at these temps they will be pushing the fan guns at max production easily.

Schoolmarm’s gentler slope can be a bonus compared to High Noon. You can get by with less coverage when less will get scrapped off.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question for the CO experts:

I see airfare to Denver is insanely cheap when my kids will be on Spring Break ($156 on Delta!). We're thinking of flying out for 5-6 nights total, including 3 days of likely skiing.

I've skied Loveland for 1 day, but never A-basin. If you were going to ski 2 days at 1 and 1 day at the other, which way would you go? We'd be staying near Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne. The family enjoys Tree skiing, Ripping groomers and in general exploring.

Also, are there any discount ticket to Copper still available? Is the Shell gas deal still a thing?

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
For a single day ticket at a bigger resort you might be better off skiing Vail, BC, or Breck with the Epic Day setup at $109. Ikon has followed Epic and most good discounts are dying. Online Copper is $119 most days in March.

Personally I would spend the extra day at Loveland. I like the variety better, and crowds being more spread out. The horseshoe layout also lends itself to feeling like you are exploring more to me.

Depending on what you can find for tickets, and how much you budget, you could also do a day at each, and then vote for the last days choice.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
What does Loveland's 4-pack usually go for? The Ski Expo is coming up on the 25th. Aren't they available at the Expo?

@focker -- From what I've read, LL's 4-pack is shareable.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What does Loveland's 4-pack usually go for? The Ski Expo is coming up on the 25th. Aren't they available at the Expo?

@focker -- From what I've read, LL's 4-pack is shareable.

$169 this year, $10 off at the retail location partners. And yes, they are just printed passes anybody can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.