• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Interesting, I am curious to see how well it does...and where the next system(s) will be installed. I thought they only expanded snowmaking capacity at Keystone. I do remember winter of 2017 was particularly bad in early December - so bad that I swore off any future early December trips.
Christmas 2017 was awful.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Given the title of this thread and prior dicussion... I thought I'd just leave this here...

https://slate.com/human-interest/20...erness-is-ruining-craft-beers-reputation.html

This may have been a true statement when the article was written 6 years ago. But there has been a massive decrease in my experience in the prevalence of super hoppy beers. The whole hazy IPA fad while technically still an IPA, has far lower IBU units than a traditional IPA.

Now it's all about hazy fruity IPAs, chocolate stouts in whiskey barrels, pilsners, hard setlzers (this isn't beer, but many craft brewers realized they can "make it" and serve it for about 98% profit), and sours.

Reactions: nay

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
This may have been a true statement when the article was written 6 years ago. But there has been a massive decrease in my experience in the prevalence of super hoppy beers. The whole hazy IPA fad while technically still an IPA, has far lower IBU units than a traditional IPA.

Now it's all about hazy fruity IPAs, chocolate stouts in whiskey barrels, pilsners, hard setlzers (this isn't beer, but many craft brewers realized they can "make it" and serve it for about 98% profit), and sours.
I would agree with jmeb. Hazy, fruity IPAs and pastry stouts are the rage now, while big hoppy West Coast style IPAs that I love, have dropped off in popularity.

Personally, I liked hazy IPAs, at first, but they are all very similar in being overly juiced and very little hop bitterness and I got bored with them. I want beer, not a breakfast drink. I tried pastry stouts too, but while drinking a chocolate brownie or blueberry muffin was unique, it just isn't what I'm looking for in a beer. Guess those are made for millennials. OK, boomer!

Last night I tried a Peanut Butter & Jam Berliner Weisse. Tasted like PBJ, but not what I want from that style of beer. Kids will probably love it.

Last edited:
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Guess those are made for millennials. OK, boomer!

Millennial here. I like all of those beers in moderation. I never want more than 1 super juicy IPA. Usually with the pastry stouts I really just want a 1/2 pour or 8oz. Some beers are made for moderation: sweet stouts, barleywines, intense sours, milkshake IPAs.

Other beers are just straight beer and I will happily session them: amber and brown ales, pils, dunkles, esb, etc.

The two types fill a different desire.

Oh, and conditions continue to be meh in Colorado. "Pattern change in 2 weeks".....

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Unique seasonal beers and funky flavor profiles are often used to help move mixed 12 packs. Sam Adams has done this around Xmas for years and years, making things like Old Fezziwig limited.

You also need to recall the Michelob Ultra is the biggest growing beer in the USA by a lot.

I never have liked bitter beer. Don’t like any IPA of any kind. Don’t like most light pilsners either from most places.

There is also an inherent challenge of just making something that is quality (plenty of Euro brewers have been doing that for centuries), and doing something that might move product. Avery has a pineapple passion fruit white so folks will give them a try in Walmart vs just buying Blue Moon.

Your brand needs a hook—how many Vail skiers competently ski the Back Bowls, how many visitors drop Crobet’s, what percentage hikes Highlands Bowl? It is a groomer sooner world, you just have to sell people on the potential of a bigger dream. Beer seems no different, market the unique to sell the regular.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

What it really means is it’s all about getting sugar into beer, or at a minimum, sweetness.

A terrible trend both for taste and health.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Last fall, as usual, we visited our California-resident son. We usually do some alcohol-tasting, alternating wineries and breweries. He is a big beer nerd, and my wife and I are wine aficionados. At one place, he tried a dry Californica "prosecco" and said, "this is pretty good. It really isn't that different from some of the beers I like."

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting, I am curious to see how well it does...and where the next system(s) will be installed. I thought they only expanded snowmaking capacity at Keystone. I do remember winter of 2017 was particularly bad in early December - so bad that I swore off any future early December trips.
They are opening up by loading people up Gondola 1 to Mid-Vail where they made the snow. The base areas at both Center Village and Lions head were looking slim on Tuesday. This has the Center Village people excited and the Lions Head people worried about opening day business

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
Welp, had a "first" of sorts at Keystone the other day. Riding the Outpost Gondola to the back bowls last Sunday afternoon, I loaded solo on to one of the gondolas and waved in a late-comer to the line that just barely made it in there with me. Then these things happened:

1. Asked if I partake in edibles (Sometimes, if in the mood).
2. Asked if I'd like to purchase some edibles (Not today, thanks.).
3. Given business card to buy edibles in the future (Found out that it burns pretty colors).
4. A brief conversation about how this kid takes both xanax and coke to get him through the day (Lovely).
5. Asked if I do coke (Hard no again).
6. Asked if I minded if he takes a bump in the gondola (Like anything I say is going to stop him).
7. Watch him cut and snort a line off of his phone (Testing limits of patience).

After all this, we chat briefly about actual skiing where he asks if he can follow me down my next run, to which I politely say "sure". I've never bombed down Anticipation so quickly in my whole life.

Moral of the story: If you have a chance to ride in the gondola by yourself, take it.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Welp, had a "first" of sorts at Keystone the other day. Riding the Outpost Gondola to the back bowls last Sunday afternoon, I loaded solo on to one of the gondolas and waved in a late-comer to the line that just barely made it in there with me. Then these things happened:

3. Given business card to buy edibles in the future (Found out that it burns pretty colors).
4. A brief conversation about how this kid takes both xanax and coke to get him through the day (Lovely).
6. Asked if I minded if he takes a bump in the gondola (Like anything I say is going to stop him).
7. Watch him cut and snort a line off of his phone (Testing limits of patience).

After all this, we chat briefly about actual skiing where he asks if he can follow me down my next run, to which I politely say "sure". I've never bombed down Anticipation so quickly in my whole life.

Moral of the story: If you have a chance to ride in the gondola by yourself, take it.

Edibles or the business card:roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

But then you wouldn't have had that very interesting post! Though I might have asked him why he wanted to follow me, and maybe said "no". :cool:

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
But then you wouldn't have had that very interesting post! Though I might have asked him why he wanted to follow me, and maybe said "no". :cool:

I don't think I would have had much in the choice of him following me. Anticipation was the only accessible run getting off that gondola (everything else was roped off). Racing it is!!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

He was not a boarder? Park skier maybe? That guy needs serious help. Keystone has a rep this just confirms it.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
He was not a boarder? Park skier maybe? That guy needs serious help. Keystone has a rep this just confirms it.

He seemed like he was just out there to sell his stash (odd, given the # of places to get edibles in CO). Had a decent pair of skis on him. Don’t recall the model but they looked like powder skis. Definitely seemed a bit troubled though.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

eSCALATED_1487040000699_8508527_ver1.0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.