• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This New Belgian / Knob Hill collab called Oakspire is outstanding if you appreciate barrel aging but are sick of big sweet barrel stouts.

E8FE15CD-9A86-4D48-AF57-F11D80997DEF.jpeg

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Zuma at A-Basin was installed in 2007. Fixed quads as a newer lift install are a bit unusual, but that lift is probably a good example of a fixed quad designed to current standards.
New fixed quads may not be popular in Summit County, but they get put up all over the country each year. Skytrac basically build a business off those installs.

Koda at Belleayre, new Teocalli at CB, Eagles Rest at JHMR, new North Ridge at Killington, Lift 1 at Lookout Pass, Over and Out at Park City, Stellar at Revelstoke, Daisy at Stevens Pass, Holiday at Snoqualmie, Snowpine at Alta, Hart Prarie at AZ Snowbiwl, 7 at Mt Baker, Buttercup at Mt Hood Meadows, Sunshine and Village at Sugarbush, Eclipse at Stoneham.

Again, nothing in Summit County, and 6 or 7 of those listed are Skytrac, none are used/refurbished.

Reactions: nay

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like everyone here who is healthy: we are very anxious to ski.

Question for Keystone skiers:

Just reviewed the open terrain. It appears that there are several green/ blue trails on the front.

Then it appears that one must take the Outpost Gondola to ski Prospector to the bottom of North Peak or Anticipation to the bottom of the Outback...and then take the slow Wayback Quad...and repeat.

Do I have that right or am I missing something?

Just trying to figure out if starting out on a 900 mile drive is our best move.

Edited to mention that our Epic pass is good only for Keystone. But we could do a day at the Basin and/or at Copper if that's worthwhile.

... There's always Broadway at Mammoth and deferring our drive until after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Thanks for your thoughts.

My thoughts are, It depends on how badly you want to ski ... I have skied ABasin and Copper, and I wouldn't drive more than a couple hours for it. I haven't been to Keystone, though.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It appears that there are several green/ blue trails on the front.
Then it appears that one must take the Outpost Gondola to ski Prospector to the bottom of North Peak or Anticipation to the bottom of the Outback...and then take the slow Wayback Quad...and repeat.

You seem to have the terrain availability correct. You can lap the gondola top to bottom if you take Spring Dipper and then one of the two blue/black options down. Everything off of North Peak requires the Outpost gondola until Mozart is fully open.

How much are you itching to ski? If you really want it, there is a good amount open at Keystone for a first day out. But, I think you would want to ski midweek to avoid the crowds and limit a few trail sections getting skied off. You can have a fun couple days of good early season groomer skiing if you came midweek. They have some activities setup to make the visit a bit more varied and enjoyable.

Waiting until after Thanksgiving will probably see Elk Run in the Outback open, Mozart down to the bottom of North Peak, and probably Dutchman, and Schoolmarm to the bottom. A big snow cycle late in the month could obviously boost that. With upcoming better snowmaking temps they can do about a trail a week.

If you are on a Keystone Plus Pass, I hope you are planing on a Crested Butte visit Feb/March, and a Breck visit the start of April.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How could I forget Beavers at ABasin! One in Summit then.
Also the Zendo (super slow Peak 6 connector) was a new fixed grip quad. It is so slow they don't have to bump the chairs.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Just reviewed the open terrain. It appears that there are several green/ blue trails on the front.

Edited to mention that our Epic pass is good only for Keystone. But we could do a day at the Basin and/or at Copper if that's worthwhile.

... There's always Broadway at Mammoth and deferring our drive until after Thanksgiving.

900 mile drive... no way. Unless you are extremely desperate it is not worth it. Even so, No way. It is a 90 min drive for me and its just ok during the week. Weekends, mayhem.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

You are right about Keystone.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all your thoughts. With the lack of recent snow, it becomes an even worse idea. I have to admit to being at least a little jealous of you Denver (and closer!) skiers.

Time to drive 300+ miles to ski Mammoth mid-week. It won't be as good as CO but the drive and cost are much more manageable.

We'll wait until more terrain is available in Colorado before taking that drive.

Keep that stoke coming and Think Snow!!!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
900 mile drive... no way. Unless you are extremely desperate it is not worth it. Even so, No way. It is a 90 min drive for me and its just ok during the week. Weekends, mayhem.

I totally think anybody should drive 900 miles to ski Keystone. That would be amazing and you’d have a blast. Who doesn’t love a “f*ck it, I’m going” road trip?

Many have been taken for far less.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I totally think anybody should drive 900 miles to ski Keystone. That would be amazing and you’d have a blast. Who doesn’t love a “f*ck it, I’m going” road trip?

Many have been taken for far less.
Huh? I have a difficult time driving 60 miles to Keystone even though it's on my Epic pass.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh? I have a difficult time driving 60 miles to Keystone even though it's on my Epic pass.

He's talking about the road trip itself being fun. The reason for it can be specious, or just an accomplishment, and it makes for great stories and good times. "Remember the time we drove 900 miles to ski a stupid WROD?"

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Vail installed an incredible snowmaking system this summer

Interesting, I am curious to see how well it does...and where the next system(s) will be installed. I thought they only expanded snowmaking capacity at Keystone. I do remember winter of 2017 was particularly bad in early December - so bad that I swore off any future early December trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.