• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Does that have to be that way though? Or is that just typical because of the terrain they're typically on? Or maybe that they tend to be newer and the more modern tendency is taller with less towers (or something like that... just speculating here)?
Tower height can be customized for the terrain. Superstar at Killington gets rather close to the ground at several locations. They do that so they can use adjacent trees as a wind screen.

A further danger for a detachable is when they are detached. At the turnaround a fixed grip is clamped firmly to the line. A detachable is actually resting on a tracing track. Toss in some wind and things can go sideways much easier than you think. They just hang by weight in the terminals, lose the skier weight for stability, swing around the end for some added movement, and then add a gust of bad wind—it could be a problem.

Gondolas are stabilized in the terminal to make them easier to load. Therefore also very little room to swing.

Reactions: nay

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Sugarloaf used very low towers and a carpet for an upper mountain fixed grip in a somewhat recent install.

The goal was wind shielding from available trees, and increased line and load speed from the carpet. It worked pretty well.

6 at Luv is pretty exposed most of the way up however.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Breck has detach quads and 6-packs to the summits of 3 peaks. 10 is on an exposed ridge near treeline, 8's Imperial lift is 200 feet below the true summit and 6's lift goes up an exposed ridge to within a few hundred feet of the summit. Granted they are all on the east side of a north/south ridge which limits their direct exposure to the normal westerly winds. 10's lift shuts down the most often but that is not a lot.

I would suggest that the chairs of detach lifts are heavier and perhaps better able to avoid swinging in high winds. Offetting that perhaps, they do offer more windage so perhaps swing more readily. I would guess though that a lot of engineering and simulations with prevailing winds and topography modelling is done to determine the best placement and application of 4 vs 6 and fixed vs detachable and that is is very much a location dependent decision.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The slightly higher line speed of the triple is challenging for beginners, of which Loveland has many. Ptarmigan is a good example - those chairs come around fast and are minimally spaced to maximize capacity.

The nice thing about 6 is it has some sleeper tree terrain that is often slow to track out. Those aren’t long runs and they flatten out quickly, but one can often find goods at low angles where trees are actually fun.

I’m mostly looking forward to reduced shoulder whacks that are common loading that chair. It’s fine when you are used to it, but that chair hammers the unsuspecting.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
The slightly higher line speed of the triple is challenging for beginners, of which Loveland has many. Ptarmigan is a good example - those chairs come around fast and are minimally spaced to maximize capacity.

The nice thing about 6 is it has some sleeper tree terrain that is often slow to track out. Those aren’t long runs and they flatten out quickly, but one can often find goods at low angles where trees are actually fun.

I’m mostly looking forward to reduced shoulder whacks that are common loading that chair. It’s fine when you are used to it, but that chair hammers the unsuspecting.
I have been victimized by 6 at Luv. Whacked more than a few times

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
though of course less lift time is almost always nice.
An excellent use of the qualifier “almost!” Sometimes a little rest on the lift is a welcome respite, as long as the wind isn’t blowing.
Chet’s is nice, but it’s almost too short a ride.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
An excellent use of the qualifier “almost!” Sometimes a little rest on the lift is a welcome respite, as long as the wind isn’t blowing.
Chet’s is nice, but it’s almost too short a ride.

In addition to the rest... sometimes a long lift ride makes me look around and appreciate where I am too, and gives me time for photos, rather than just ski, ski, ski, ski.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
In addition to the rest... sometimes a long lift ride makes me look around and appreciate where I am too, and gives me time for photos, rather than just ski, ski, ski, ski.
Oh no, don’t do that! :eek:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that true as a lift is replaced? Would a HSQ and a modern fixed grip quad have different towers or is that a comparison of safety design standards for older fixed grip chairs that you couldn’t build today?

All I noticed is all the new HSQ have huge towers. In terms of height, size of the tower column, the cross arms and the number of sheave wheels when compared to older lifts. Perhaps it is the new upgraded standards. I really don't know.
I don't recalled I have been on an all new fixed grip quad lately. All the "new" fixed grip quads I have been on recently are refurbished units removed from elsewhere.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Showed up 10:50 parked about 5 rows from ski patrol in a 2/3rds full lot. Did 8 top to bottom runs and split to hike the dogs for 1.5. Snows getting stale:). Got some free base structure added to my skis. IMG_20191109_132612.jpg Need snow but it was like a spring day out there. Really amazing to see Land of the Giants now vs March

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
All I noticed is all the new HSQ have huge towers. In terms of height, size of the tower column, the cross arms and the number of sheave wheels when compared to older lifts. Perhaps it is the new upgraded standards. I really don't know.
I don't recalled I have been on an all new fixed grip quad lately. All the "new" fixed grip quads I have been on recently are refurbished units removed from elsewhere.
Size because of weight and wider chairs would need to be bigger in a high speed detachable.

But, Tower height is completely based on terrain and build design.

Tall towers can mean fewer towers are need because the sagging between them can be bigger, so less impact and cost. Tall towers can let groomers and equipment easily pass underneath. Tall towers produce less hijinks from skiers above and below.

But short towers on a detachable are common enough. Superstar at Killington has very short towers to stay low away from the wind. But, a few tall ones where clearance is needed lower on the mountain. Powder Seeker at Big Sky opted fro shorter towers than normal, because of wind. The Skyliner gondola at Disney World gets very low over Hourglass lake.

No chair location is the same because of topography. Tower height tends to be the biggest visual clue about what is going on.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Don't do what? Take photos? Or appreciate where I am?
Once again, tongue-in-cheek.
Appreciation of the entire experience - especially one’s surroundings - is the hallmark of a true aficionado.

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019/11/10/north-american-winter-outlook-2019-20/

My latest and final winter outlook is now available.

For Colorado, it is set to have a mildly above average snowfall season per forecast. Details in the link above.

In the short term, looks like something of note snowfall wise for the CO mountains next weekend. Snowfall on this Monday as well, but these snowfalls focus on the Central and Eastern parts of Colorado.

5DEB9AC7-99DC-4F04-9660-A52A2D0E4494.png

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Showed up 10:50 parked about 5 rows from ski patrol in a 2/3rds full lot. Did 8 top to bottom runs and split to hike the dogs for 1.5. Snows getting stale:). Got some free base structure added to my skis. View attachment 84188 Need snow but it was like a spring day out there. Really amazing to see Land of the Giants now vs March

Drove by A Basin at around that time and there were quite a few spots available in the early riser lot still. Wow. Kept driving past Keystone and it was packed. Seemed VERY crowded. Mostly boarders too. :eek: :roflmao:

It was really warm as well. About 50~55ºF or more at the base before noon. Crazy.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Zuma at A-Basin was installed in 2007. Fixed quads as a newer lift install are a bit unusual, but that lift is probably a good example of a fixed quad designed to current standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.