• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019-20 Ski Area Closing Dates

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm planning to take my son skiing on his spring break. The dates would be April 4-11. Originally I wanted to go to Whitefish because we have some friends that moved to Kalispell but it appears that their traditional closing date would be April 4th. I know Jackson Hole closes the first full weekend of April so that's out and my favorite ski area to visit, Powder Mountain, will likely be closed by then as well. So what other ski resorts are traditionally closed at that time of year?

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky is a strong possibility, especially since I haven't been there. Copper Mountain was another possibility and would likely be the cheapest option.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Copper is usually pretty awesome in April. You can get anything from huge snow days to just fun groomer zooming. Interested to see if Tucker lift is kept open late since it is N. facing (but they'd have to maintain something S. facing to get there potentially.)

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
You should be looking at it the other way around: Most ski areas close on or before the first weekend in April. A few ski areas close to major cities stay open longer and a few big areas also stay open longer.

Mid April is a great time to ski. No rush to book early. See where the snow falls and check deals. Most years summit co, winter park, aspen, mammoth, BCC, LLC and most of Canada ski great in April. Tahoe and bachelor are great most years too.

I am not a big fan of big sky but it should be ok in April. Big sky has a lot of south exposure and most of the skiing is below 9k feet, so I suggest skiing it earlier.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I take my family away every Easter to ski so I’m used to planning April trips....we went to Breck this year....and had a great time....conditions/weather was incredible....wife and kids loved the town at night. Plus, we got to ski with @Ken_R and @Doug Briggs for a few runs off the Tbar. (I actually heard my wife tell someone the other day that her new favorite town is Breckenridge.....)...sounds good to me. We’ll be back for sure.

Other places we have had good trips at Easter (April):

-Mammoth
-Squaw
-Alta
-Snowbird
-Brighton
-Solitude

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Of course it is all about snow pack but some of the other standards for being open later include:
A Basin
Crystal Mt.
Bachelor
much of Western Canada
Inland PNW
Alyeska (but that is a long plane ride)
lots of Summit County

Wait and see who gets the snow in March. As noted above getting reservations that late is not normally much of an issue.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
April 4-11 isn't really late. Most western areas will be open with a few exceptions as noted.

I would probably Vote Alta/Bird as likely to have best snow.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mid April is a great time to ski. No rush to book early. See where the snow falls and check deals.

I think this is a key point. There are a lot of places that will still be open in April, but if you don't need to book now, I'd wait a while to see what happens. Is there anything that will drive you to pick a location soon?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper is usually pretty awesome in April. You can get anything from huge snow days to just fun groomer zooming. Interested to see if Tucker lift is kept open late since it is N. facing (but they'd have to maintain something S. facing to get there potentially.)

IMG_20190409_133503 (1).jpg

That's Tucker Mountain and the Blackjack Lift at Copper April 9 this year. I'm pretty sure that was the last day Copper Bowl was open for the year. The bottom of the new Tucker lift will be right there next to the bottom of the Blackjack lift.

The USASA Nationals will end about that time again this year. Hopefully Copper will keep most of the mountain open through the competition, as they did this year.

USASA Nationals is a great time to be at Copper because all the competitors and their families usually stay around the base areas leaving the majority of the mountain vastly deserted. The only downside is lodging slopeside will be expensive, but there's always Frisco/Silverthorne/Dillon.

Last edited:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
April 4-11 isn't really late. Most western areas will be open with a few exceptions.
To the OP, make sure you check the area is open. There are roughly 200 ski areas in western north american and only a few dozen will be open mid April. While it's no surprise that most small areas are closed, places like Telluride, crested butte, Jackson hole, etc are also closed and suprising to many.

Those areas that are open almost always still have great conditions and low crowds. You can book in February or even days before your trip and still get good deals. Either wait till then or if you have to book now, book the most reliable: summit co, winter park, aspen, mammoth, BCC, LLC and most of western Canada. Any questions about these areas, just ask.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Big Sky usually stays open a week later than us. But when I used to do that, the best snow was in Colorado.

Yeah, Big Sky typically closes around 3rd week of April - I would guess April 19 this year (which is the Sunday closest to typical). As you might imagine, it can be hit or miss by then depending on how warm it gets is March/April.