• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Le pumpkin is ready for winter.

76658273_10156882507163014_141305257262055424_o.jpg

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another storm coming across the states, hoping this to be true for the start of the week. We need a good base for up north.

page-62.jpg

Speaking of north, we are experiencing an "unprecedented" start of winter like temps. Actually the adverb is just for drama, because of several factors we may be seeing more of a cooling trend for the coming seasons. Again using more drama, the "canary in the coal mine" is the Arctic. For those who have seen my replies in the Blob post, we had an early start of the Siberian snowpack. Due to a strong albedo, the polar jet stream weakens and dips more southerly bringing the cooler temps to our latitudes.

ims2019312_alaska.gif

Heading to the basement to sharpen my skis.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There were only a couple trails open at SR but the snow was good and there were some small bumps in spots. No green trails were open yet so timid skiers should check
the reports. Looks like the storm this week might be a dud.

. 20191110_152823.jpg

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The places where I have passes don't open until 11/23 so for this weekend I'm down for Mount Snow or Killington whichever I can get the cheapest ticket. I have a free ticket for killingon but I think I'd like to save it for mid winter when everything is open.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
4D46A166-6296-4317-B775-A6DF3BB83B0A.jpeg 8861CAA3-7D1C-4419-AB66-14859C10C896.jpeg Had a great time at Sunday River this past weekend. Opening day Saturday was ungroomed fresh blown snow, and Sunday started with an awesome top to bottom corduroy run that then quickly transitioned into some more challenging balled up chunks as people skied on it. Overall I though the product was quite good quality for an opening weekend and so many people concentrated on little open terrain. It was great to get some runs in and catch up with friends. Hoping they can expand a bit more by next weekend with the cold temps this week.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Someone I know told me Bromley is thinking of opening a week early so if they do that's where we'll be. Potential opening date will be 11/16. Wooh hooh.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MissySki,

Did they run the Barker quad at SR this weekend or just the Triple?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MissySki,

On Sunday it was just the triple, so there was a line mid-day. They were also leaving chairs empty at the base to accommodate those who wanted to ski the top and get back on the lift at the mid point. The snow was good where they made it but there's plenty more work to do on that side.

They added a new t bar on Barker that I don't remember from last year.

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
MissySki,

It was just the triple both days (mid-station and bottom loading). They were loading every other chair at each point on Saturday which made for incredibly long (hour +) lines at the bottom, while it was only around 15 minutes at the mid station if you stayed up there. Luckily someone texted me not to come down to the base until I was done for the day. On Sunday they started 1:1 again and then moved to 2 chairs at the base for every 1 filled at the mid-station to alleviate the lines down low that were forming again.

They had the quad running on Sunday without loading so hopefully it’ll be added for next weekend with expanded terrain.

Last edited:

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They added a new t bar on Barker that I don't remember from last year.

That’s the new t bar put in from money raised by Gould Academy. This will keep the racers off of the Barker quad which is a plus. However, it’s closed to the public except if we have a wind hold day where some predetermined number of main lifts are offline.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
People can blame Ikon all they want but even though i have a place to stay we still spent over $200 around town for an early November weekend, so there's that.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Soft opening for Bromley this weekend, a week early. I don't remember the last time they opened in the middle of November. Only summit chair running with upper twister off the top open and then 1 blue and a green from the middle down. I used to dislike the summit blue at season opening because we call it the rock garden for a reason and it can get rather skied off and ugly but I care less these days. Skiing Magic on a regular basis has sorta broken me in a good way so I care not about things that used to bug me. Not necessarily how I wanted to start my season but it'll break me in that's for sure. Good weather up there all week and with the natural snow and the blown snow I think it'll actually be pretty good. $55 lift tickets for anyone without a pass which is a great deal.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay’s Instagram says they have a lot of snow and are opening a week early on 11/22. Tempted to make the drive on the 23rd

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Whales at Bretton Woods. I've never seen whales left for the public to play on ... at Bretton Woods. I hope they leave these in place on some open trails this weekend, as I'll be there. Love them whales.

Nearby Cannon usually generates huuuge whales, and they leave them up for a while. Bretton Woods should follow their lead.

whales at BWoods.jpg

Whales at Bretton Woods.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online