• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Alright I'm getting a tiny bit antsy. My phone widgets tell me certain dates are nearing which includes Killington to start making snow in 21 days or so.

I'm still enjoying the temps out and doing other stuff outside but ski club open houses are happening, Warren Miller movie dates have been announced and it's getting to be time to start to switch gears.

Magic's working on our new quad and fall is indeed in the area which means the real good stuff isn't that far behind.

SmartSelect_20190910-163709_One UI Home.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, so I don't ever want to rush through it! Last few races of vintage dirtbike racing, wonderfully colorful cycling and moto rides on rural backcountry roads with cooler days and colder nights!!!
Thanksgiving to mid December is my transition to start thinking about sliding on snow again.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I adore fall and there's still a good 6 weeks of all kinds of fun fall things to do. So much golf and disc golf and hiking to happen. Not to mention Apple cider and cider donuts and Halloween.

Once Killington opens around mid October we'll ski sporadically til Thanksgiving still doing those other fall fun things. Once thanksgiving gets here that it's all about skiing until April/May and into June as it gets sporadic as we segue into summer.

It's an awesone cycle.

I can't wait to slide on snow but I'll be excited for that while experiencing fall. That first day at Killington around 35 days from now will be magical, emotional, crazy and exciting. I'm looking forward to it.

My SO isn't as ski crazy as some of us are and that's aok. I'm pretty sure he won't be joining me in the earliest days at the beast in October but I'll have plenty of friendly faces to say hello to so all good in the hood. However, once there's top to bottom access at Killington Michael will be right there with me.

This is the best time of year as the temps are great and there's all this excltement in the air.

Last edited:

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Unless we get big dumps early we won't hit Killington until mid-November. That will give us some slope time before going to Copper over T'giving week for race camps. Agree that this is the best time of the year (non-skiing) with fall baseball, cool evenings and lots of time outside. The only thing I hate are the shorter daylight hours.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
New double black off the new quad at Magic will be called Pitch Black. Volunteer days coming up on 9/14, 9/28 and 10/12. Brewfest on 9/21 with bands at sunshine courner (mid mountain) and then Saints & Liars at the black line tavern at night. Peru fair on 9/28. Indigo girls coming to Stratton on 10/13. Fall is wonderful!!!!!!!

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Looking for a repeat of last season's Snovember. Great snow and cold weather from Oct 19 until it warmed up and rained on Dec 21. Best two month kickoff to a season in recent memory. December 28 had the worst ski conditions of the season. Never stop thinking of snow even with my toes in the sand.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Central Jersey Ski Club membership is now open for the 2019-20 season. Anyone interested in joining please let me know. We meet weekly in Marlboro, NJ at the Fireside Grill & Bar. We have a lodge in VT approx midway between Sugarbush, and Killington. It is a great way to bring your skiing costs down. The full (Lodge) membership gives you 25 nights for $475 ($19 a night) and then only $10 a night after that... Otherwise it is $75 membership fee, and $25 a night to use the house.... All in all a good deal.

@Philpug @Tricia if this is not appropriate to post, please delete..

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://liftblog.com/2019/10/04/loon-mountain-waterville-valley-look-to-build-big-new-lifts/

As a big fan of Loon, not sure if an 8 is needed on Kanc (I haven't seen an 8 yet either) but Boyne did it out at Big Sky so they must be happy with it. But 7 Brothers needs the up grade and will benefit greatly and hopefully relieve some of the Gondola stress as well.

I like Waterville too. A lot of people kill it but If they got on Ikon I would make sure to visit them annually too. It has some fun stuff.

DSCF4814.JPG
Sunnyside is a great trail. (True Grit)

Sort of a bucket list thing but before I leave eastern skiing for good (and down the road that is the plan) going to take the time to hit all the old Ski 93 areas (Tenney, Waterville, Loon Cannon, Mittersill and Bretton) as they are all open again

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
https://liftblog.com/2019/10/04/loon-mountain-waterville-valley-look-to-build-big-new-lifts/

As a big fan of Loon, not sure if an 8 is needed on Kanc (I haven't seen an 8 yet either) but Boyne did it out at Big Sky so they must be happy with it. But 7 Brothers needs the up grade and will benefit greatly and hopefully relieve some of the Gondola stress as well.

I rode the 8-pack lift at Big Sky during last winter's gathering numerous times. Getting 8 people on takes some pre-planning, etc.

Granted a "big" lift line at Big Sky isn't that much of a line, but getting onto that thing was like herding cattle. It's just... too big. We did manage to get eight Pugs on one chair at one point, and I think at the top we all thought it was claustrophobic (and I'm not claustrophobic). The Big Sky one exits into a football field size flat area; everybody getting off had better plan on going straight.

And yes, I'm sure that when the first *gasp* double chair came into existence there was some grumpy old man like me saying the exact same thing (i.e., herding cattle, claustrophobic, hard to get off, etc.). :cool:

On the bright side, the Big Sky version is easily the most comfy chair lift I've had the pleasure of sitting in. The only thing missing was a recliner option.
IMG_1016.JPG

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with Kevin's take on the Big Sky experience. It was a bit chaotic getting 8 people lined up on a chair and the large area at the top was needed for everyone to get a bit of separation and slide out of the zone. If memory serves the top of the Kanc isn't very big for 8 people coming off the chair at once and then the next chair and the next chair...

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But...you don't have to load 8 onto the chair every time for it to make a difference. Even operating at 6, it's better than 90% of lifts around.

And...having ridden that BS lift a bunch myself, I say this: if you have good line management (admittedly a real IF in New England), loading 8 isn't really that difficult. Just a psychological issue until everyone gets used to it.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As a big fan of Loon, not sure if an 8 is needed on Kanc (I haven't seen an 8 yet either) but Boyne did it out at Big Sky so they must be happy with it.

I mean it will cut back on the crazy lines that form at Loon, but the mountain is only so big. I can’t imagine the crowds on the mountain if they basically double the uphill capacity of the Kanc area by putting in an 8 seater :eek:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Given the volume of people traveling up the 93 corridor to ski and the current trail crowding I just see these 6-8 person lifts just making the trail crowding worse. Yes it reduces the lift line, but increases the trail crowding. I think they should start replacing quads with doubles. ogsmile

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mean it will cut back on the crazy lines that form at Loon, but the mountain is only so big. I can’t imagine the crowds on the mountain if they basically double the uphill capacity of the Kanc area by putting in an 8 seater :eek:

I agree totally. Upgrading 7 Brothers I think is a must but I could see a 6 not an 8 at Kanc. I've always been a proponent of the gondola staying 4 person and keeping the traffic off the gondola summit as it is.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the volume of people traveling up the 93 corridor to ski and the current trail crowding I just see these 6-8 person lifts just making the trail crowding worse. Yes it reduces the lift line, but increases the trail crowding. I think they should start replacing quads with doubles. ogsmile

Our little PA ski areas that get the most crowded on slope are those with quads and 6 packs. Although those old double chairs are REALLY slow, I think I prefer knowing that I will have a more wide open trail (relatively speaking) to ski.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Our little PA ski areas that get the most crowded on slope are those with quads and 6 packs. Although those old double chairs are REALLY slow, I think I prefer knowing that I will have a more wide open trail (relatively speaking) to ski.
Plays to the appeal of smaller throwback resorts like MRG, Magic, Middlebury, Pico etc. Morden snowmaking, fleets of groomers, wider trails and high capacity lifts have transformed the skiing experience at most areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor