• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I stayed in Stowe for one more day as another storm was forecast for Sunday evening. 3-6” total; Stowe got the high end of that for sure.

Morning snow was pretty fluffy; daytime snow seemed a bit denser. There were only 2-3” to start so I used my SR88’s all day. Could have used the 95’s in the afternoon, but I didn’t want to stop skiing.

Front Four laps in the morning, some Spruce cruising after lunch and two Chin Clip laps to end the day because too many powder bumps are never enough.

Centerline:
03860B38-6040-42C6-936F-25CF07BF71A7.jpeg

7DDDBD00-56F3-41B2-9193-5677B641BD75.jpeg

West Smuggs:
B798FEF9-9DEE-476E-ABFA-5EC8073CD075.jpeg

Chin Clip:
8F7C3B5C-67C7-4B6B-AFD7-17CE0535DBB5.jpeg

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed in Stowe for one more day as another storm was forecast for Sunday evening. 3-6” total; Stowe got the high end of that for sure.

Morning snow was pretty fluffy; daytime snow seemed a bit denser. There were only 2-3” to start so I used my SR88’s all day. Could have used the 95’s in the afternoon, but I didn’t want to stop skiing.

Front Four laps in the morning, some Spruce cruising after lunch and two Chin Clip laps to end the day because too many powder bumps are never enough.

Centerline:
View attachment 93291

View attachment 93292

West Smuggs:
View attachment 93293

Chin Clip:
View attachment 93294

Kevin..when u stay up at Stowe on weekends...where do u stay most/all the time? House/condo/hotel?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I was out voted, my daughter and my wife wanted lunch at the top of the mountain. I was trying to find @Guy in Shorts in the parking lot for a meet up and maybe a few runs. Thanks for trying maybe another time.
I was out voted by my posse and we ended up at the Peak Lodge also. Day 100 for those who have skied for every day. Pretty sure I was the only one in shorts so I was fairly easy to spot even with the fog. Fun day. Will catch you next time.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was out voted by my posse and we ended up at the Peak Lodge also. Day 100 for those who have skied for every day. Pretty sure I was the only one in shorts so I was fairly easy to spot even with the fog. Fun day. Will catch you next time.

With those chicken legs you'd be hard to miss.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, talk about fog, at one point after lunch there was a white out. I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me and I had to stop every few turns to see where my daughter was and if we were on same trail.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Yes, talk about fog, at one point after lunch there was a white out. I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me and I had to stop every few turns to see where my daughter was and if we were on same trail.

Ha! It was a few years ago, but @Erik Timmerman and I were doing a lesson on the foggiest day I've ever experienced at Stowe. I lost Erik in one turn -- he just vanished. There are a couple "usual" stopping places, so we managed to find each other again, but that day was unreal. It's the only time I've actually felt nauseous from having no sensation of movement, direction, etc. (For the record, we spent the day skiing Toll Road at walking speed. Awesome day ... I still practice doing that most days).

The other thing I remember about that day was Erik saying his next lesson was with somebody who wanted to work on his bump skiing. Bumps? :roflmao:

That season was the year the "official" gathering was at Whistler. I figured Whistler couldn't be any worse, visibility-wise, than that day was. I was wrong. :eek:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Sunday River yesterday, Monday 2-10. Woke up to 4" of light powder, and another 1-2" accumulated during the day. Not empty, but pretty light skier traffic. Really, really fun powder day. Just enough new snow to keep you off the bottom of the groomed underneath. The glades had enough snow to ski very good. Skied shockwave trail (all natural) next to White Heat and got some untracked freshies. Lot's of untracked in the Last Tango and Blind Ambition glades. Lots of clumps on the groomers, but soft enough to just blast through. Sun came out around 3:30, just in time to quit for the day. Today should be an outstanding day for the mtn.

Last Tango Glades (Tony, same glades we skied, with a lot more snow)
SR-Last Tango 2-10-20.jpg

Last edited:

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Sunday River yesterday, Monday 2-10. Woke up to 4" of light powder, and another 1-2" accumulated during the day. Not empty, but pretty light skier traffic. Really, really fun powder day. Just enough new snow to keep you off the bottom of the groomed underneath. The glades had enough snow to ski very good. Skied shockwave trail (all natural) next to White Heat and got some untracked freshies. Lot's of untracked in the Last Tango and Blind Ambition glades. Lots of clumps on the groomers, but soft enough to just blast through. Sun came out around 3:30, just in time to quit for the day. Today should be an outstanding day for the mtn.

Last Tango Glades
View attachment 93367

I’m so glad to finally see snow in the glades there!! I’ve been away for a ski trip to MT and WY, and then my dog went and got sick last weekend which kept me home.. looking forward to getting back up to Sunday River this weekend!

AJP

Booting up
Skier
Going to drive up to Stowe to ski Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday if anyone is around and wants to link up for a few laps.

Andrew

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ha! It was a few years ago, but @Erik Timmerman and I were doing a lesson on the foggiest day I've ever experienced at Stowe. I lost Erik in one turn -- he just vanished. There are a couple "usual" stopping places, so we managed to find each other again, but that day was unreal. It's the only time I've actually felt nauseous from having no sensation of movement, direction, etc. (For the record, we spent the day skiing Toll Road at walking speed. Awesome day ... I still practice doing that most days).

The other thing I remember about that day was Erik saying his next lesson was with somebody who wanted to work on his bump skiing. Bumps? :roflmao:

That season was the year the "official" gathering was at Whistler. I figured Whistler couldn't be any worse, visibility-wise, than that day was. I was wrong. :eek:
You said that you felt nauseous in the fog and in an earlier post I said I was not feeling my best, now I wonder if it was the fog? I thought it might have been the altitude, the top of Killington is 4200 ft and I haven't skied that hight in a while. On Monday I didn't ski well, not sure why, but I would like to understand why some days I ski just fine and other days I can hardly put two or three turns together?

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
You said that you felt nauseous in the fog and in an earlier post I said I was not feeling my best, now I wonder if it was the fog? I thought it might have been the altitude, the top of Killington is 4200 ft and I haven't skied that hight in a while. On Monday I didn't ski well, not sure why, but I would like to understand why some days I ski just fine and other days I can hardly put two or three turns together?

Oh yeah, I definitely have days where I can't link two turns even when it's sunny out. :huh:

I remember telling Erik that I was going to be sick from trying to ski that day. One nice thing about skiing Toll Road is that it's narrow so the trees provide some definition, contrast, etc. and then I immediately felt better. Trying to ski a normal width groomer was insane though. I've skied my share of foggy days; that's the only time I felt physically ill. Basically, yeah, I think it's highly possible that your "not feeling my best" was somewhat due to limited visibility.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had that happen at Powder Mountain in a snow storm...no trees on the slope so no frame of reference, couldn't see the bottom, no previous tracks (yeah, it was sweet...). Thankfully a few errant weeds poking up here and there to keep me from getting dizzy.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With it being President's Day Weekend I'm blacked out this coming weekend, but hoping to still ski somewhere. Thinking about hiking or a riding a smaller mountain near Sunday River. I've heard Mt. Abram and Black Mountain of Maine offers discount tickets for Sunday River pass holders on blackout days...anyone have any intel on this?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
With it being President's Day Weekend I'm blacked out this coming weekend, but hoping to still ski somewhere. Thinking about hiking or a riding a smaller mountain near Sunday River. I've heard Mt. Abram and Black Mountain of Maine offers discount tickets for Sunday River pass holders on blackout days...anyone have any intel on this?

For Black, look at the "Whiteout your Blackout" info at http://www.skiblackmountain.org/index.php/15-passes-and-pricing

I'm not sure about Mt. Abram.

Both should have pretty good skiing given the recent snow.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll be up at Stowe with my family and another family from the town we live in Wednesday, Thursday and maybe Friday of next week. Unfortunately for the next few years I'm forced to do most of my skiing during peak times.

Hoping for the good conditions to continue and that things aren't too crazy as it's our first time to Stowe and I'd like to explore a good chunk of the mountain.

Wouldn't mind some of those more experienced with Stowe to offer some tips on how to work the mountain for crowd avoidance via pm. You can have me raise my virtual right hand and swear me to secrecy. We're all pretty solid skiers that will ski almost anything at most Eastern resorts to include trees (not really steep, tight trees unless conditions are perfect and maybe not even then). The other family has some less-experienced skiers but we can work around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online