• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@CraigBro I also skied at Pico today. They claimed that they got 7" of new snow, and I wouldn't be surprised if that much snow fell, but it was very light snow and with the heavy winds, it was basically blown off the trails before the lifts started spinning. Still a very fun day :). I chased what new snow I could find, including wind drifts on Pike among other trails (Upper Pike is the trail in the first image below). There was a lot of sketchiness - rocks, grass, branches, all of the hallmarks of early season skiing. The worst was Sidewinder (the second image below) off of the Outpost lift, and the image I took doesn't even capture the full extent of it. Today was my second day at Pico, I also skied here on opening day, December 7th. What's kind of crazy is that the skiing was much better on opening day, more than a month ago. Even though the season's total snowfall has gone up by over 50", the frequent rain events have wreaked havoc on the snowpack. Fingers crossed that the temperatures stay cold for the next couple of months!

Even though Pico was about as crowded as I've ever seen it, it still wasn't crowded. I'm grateful for this, especially after seeing posts and pictures of the crazy crowds at other resorts. I only used the singles line and never waited more than five minutes, and even had the chair to myself on three rides (once each on the Summit, Outpost, and Little Pico lifts).

I absolutely love Pico, what a little gem of a resort. I probably won't be back this season because I want to save the rest of my Killington-Pico Ikon days.

IMG_5100.jpg IMG_5081.jpg

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@CraigBro I also skied at Pico today. They claimed that they got 7" of new snow, and I wouldn't be surprised if that much snow fell, but it was very light snow and with the heavy winds, it was basically blown off the trails before the lifts started spinning. Still a very fun day :). I chased what new snow I could find, including wind drifts on Pike among other trails (Upper Pike is the trail in the first image below). There was a lot of sketchiness - rocks, grass, branches, all of the hallmarks of early season skiing. The worst was Sidewinder (the second image below) off of the Outpost lift, and the image I took doesn't even capture the full extent of it. Today was my second day at Pico, I also skied here on opening day, December 7th. What's kind of crazy is that the skiing was much better on opening day, more than a month ago. Even though the season's total snowfall has gone up by over 50", the frequent rain events have wreaked havoc on the snowpack. Fingers crossed that the temperatures stay cold for the next couple of months!

Even though Pico was about as crowded as I've ever seen it, it still wasn't crowded. I'm grateful for this, especially after seeing posts and pictures of the crazy crowds at other resorts. I only used the singles line and never waited more than five minutes, and even had the chair to myself on three rides (once each on the Summit, Outpost, and Little Pico lifts).

I absolutely love Pico, what a little gem of a resort. I probably won't be back this season because I want to save the rest of my Killington-Pico Ikon days.

View attachment 90575 View attachment 90576
Sunday was a great day at Pico. Summit Glade early was just awesome.. By afternoon much of that "7 in" was nowhere to be found...

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
Loon was pretty insane yesterday. I knew it would be, as I could not find a single hotel room to reserve Saturday night. However, I had to give it a shot with 6 inches reported and the dismal winter we have had thus far. I had to park in the south peak overflow lots and ride a bus, which I didn’t even know existed before. Conditions quickly devolved into widely spaced powder bumps with glare ice between them across the whole mountain. I suspect today would have been awesome after they groomed it in, but I had to work.
BFD50236-7B6E-47A9-BD38-930536AE4196.jpeg
The zoo on Sunset is representative of the day

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Which Stowe were you at?

Right?? I wasn’t there, but I saw people complaining on social media that they were in traffic for hours trying to get there so I imagined things a little more crowded on hill..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarbush

There were no lines at mt ellen on sat. Cold and nice snow. Good coverage but rocks of course.

Sunday at south there were lines but singles moved decently. Snow was beat after sat afternoon crowds (i heard). Paradise didnt last an hour, should have gone to Egan or straight to the rock. Keeping castlerock hike only was a great idea !!!

Today was beautiful, no lines except for the good ones.

James

Out There
Instructor
I heard the road to Stowe was a mess Sun am. The shortcut through Moscow was backed up to the high school and barely moving. That was like 7:30. People I knew turned around and went around through town.
Keeping castlerock hike only was a great idea !!!
Meaning the chair was not running?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
that was Sunday.

Mansfeild side. We left shortly after lunch. Was it bad on the other lifts?

Oh, I thought you were talking about it being uncrowded on Sunday. Yeah, it was shockingly dead today. Only 4 people for group lessons today?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I heard the road to Stowe was a mess Sun am. The shortcut through Moscow was backed up to the high school and barely moving. That was like 7:30. People I knew turned around and went around through town.

Meaning the chair was not running?

Yes. This could be a model for sustainable skiing. I have a dream of semi-lift served chutes and glades with hike options and maybe a warming hut.

Attachments

• 20200120_123623.jpg
    20200120_123623.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 19

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well goat is closed per the website. Not very protected and the wind sat night moved the snow around. The top of sb liftline was rough. We went around to rumble. I enjoy the hike.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol. It's a model to piss off your customers. What was the reasoning? Bad conditions? That would make sense.

Castlerock lift can't run because there's not enough snow at the bottom near the lifts, at least that's what Win says. I guess there's no snow making there.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Castlerock is similar to Mad River Glen. Natural terrain and no snowmaking. That's what makes it so exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid