• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Groundhog Day repeat of last year were Mt Snow posted the largest total out of the first big storm of the season.

I don’t know how much snow fell, but Okemo yesterday had great snow. Crunchy, corduroy, and lots of drifted powder. It wasn’t that cold (24?) but the wind was wicked. Lapping the bubble chair and taking narrow trails kept skiing pleasant. A perfectly good Day 1.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so Stowe still has a natural snow draught especially compared to last year when we had 46 inches at the stake. We are currently at 14 inches at the stake and 7 inches at barnes camp for natural snow fall base.

Still this week has had amazing groomer skiing. I could title this video the hardest 30 second of skiing I have done while trying to film someone else skiing.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Magic is spinning the red and green chairs Saturday. Unsure of trail count yet but there will be at least 1 groomed way down from the summit. Bromley is reopening Thursday rather than Saturday with a near doubled trail count from last weekend. They will now be open daily. Have training at both mountains all weekend but will get plenty of skiing in.

James

Out There
Instructor
Magic is spinning the red and green chairs Saturday. Unsure of trail count yet but there will be at least 1 groomed way down from the summit. Bromley is reopening Thursday rather than Saturday with a near doubled trail count from last weekend. They will now be open daily. Have training at both mountains all weekend but will get plenty of skiing in.
Have you ridden the new chair yet??
How does it feel to be the #1 resort in North America? According to Liftopia.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Have you ridden the new chair yet??
How does it feel to be the #1 resort in North America? According to Liftopia.

The new chair will be ready.... Hoping by MLK weekend. Liftopia, r u pulling my leg? I know we were ranked 17 out of 20 in the east by ski magazine beating out Stowe, Wachusett and Wildcat. That feels pretty great.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied Stratton today. They got about 19" dense yet dry. We skied an all natural tree run that took us out below some trailside houses and had to hike through someone's backyard to get back up to a trail that would take us to the gondola. I call it the Puckerbrush trail because of all the brush that was sticking up. Lots of branches as well. we skied it very cautiously. We also skied the Shredwood glade but I think that gets some blown in man made snow. Nice to be able to ski some mostly natural snow terrain this early in the season!

Overall the skiing was fun on hero snow and there were some bumps forming on ungroomed terrain. Good first day. We drove up this morning and skied straight from 11:30 to almost 4. Just got home.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I'll be up in Syracuse and Albany Thursday and Friday, so going to use an IKON day at Stratton on Saturday. The latest flight back out of Albany on Sunday means I can get about 4 hours in. I've never skied Bromley or Magic. Since they are just opening this week/weekend, would either be worth a half day, or should I hold off until the next trip?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@MarkP
Stratton again for the am....you’ll be able to get more runs in......more bang for the buck. But if you want to try somewhere new, SSG...the official ambassador for Bromley and Magic might be able to get u a ticket.....free ticket trumps all..

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
so Stowe still has a natural snow draught especially compared to last year when we had 46 inches at the stake. We are currently at 14 inches at the stake and 7 inches at barnes camp for natural snow fall base.

Still this week has had amazing groomer skiing. I could title this video the hardest 30 second of skiing I have done while trying to film someone else skiing.

Were you actually skiing backwards or just sideslipping down? I obviously know which trail that is... that would be pretty impressive to ski switch without looking. :)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
skiing switch with out looking judging where I am from the sides of the trail with Diane having a signal incase someone stops behind me. It pretty cool video would be impossible to be that smooth even with FPV drone and a rear mounted camera. The new gopro with hypersmooth really make some smooth crisp video literally looks 99 percent as good as a gimbal. Sideslipping has more movement from the camera person so I dont think Ill be using that much.

It snowing today probably 4-6 inches for Bolton-stowe-smuggs-Jay in northern Vermont by tomorrow morning really fluffly non base building stuff though. Last year at this time we had the best start ever, but no one single dump so we had powder front four+powdery glades with out anyone knowing about it. Centerline has been skiing sweetly at Stowe with some chaulkman made bumps and only a couple firmer patches.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So Stowe reported 1 inch of snow today.

They also proceeded to drop the ropes on upper national, Middle Starr, S-53, Gulch and Upper T-line, and there was more than an inch. I kinda of like how bad our snow report is, its going to lead more sleeper day at Stowes than in years past very much like years past.

James

Out There
Instructor

They also proceeded to drop the ropes on upper national, Middle Starr, S-53, Gulch and Upper T-line, and there was more than an inch. I kinda of like how bad our snow report is, its going to lead more sleeper day at Stowes than in years past very much like years past.
Do they make snow on upper national?

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Do they make snow on upper national?

No. Well they do on the Haychute (the traverse entrance into Liftline) and some of that gets blown into Upper National, but they don’t intentionally light that pitch up.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister

Sweet. Finally getting up there Saturday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
All pics from Upper National

One thing about upper national is its the best snow catch on the whole mountain on trail, the left side is the deepest snow one basically anyday with wind on trail at Stowe.

Scott Braaten AKa the old snow reporter
scott.JPG

Kagen
Kagen.JPG

Colton
Colton.JPG

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
One thing about upper national is its the best snow catch on the whole mountain on trail, the left side is the deepest snow one basically anyday with wind on trail at Stowe.

Fake news! The right side of Upper Starr — a few yards to skiers right of Upper National — is a much better snow catcher. Invariably boot top deep to a newborn grasshopper in there!

:Cristmassnow:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Another really nice day "down south in Vt." Call it a refresh, a couple of inches of new snow.
There was some wind, which keeps the trails fresh.

The trees were VERY inviting and Very enjoyable.

I can't believe it's the first week of Dec!

1-4" on the watch for Friday ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online