• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
18VolklKanjo.png
Völkl Kanjo
Dimensions: 123-83-104
Radius: 21.6m@182cm
Sizes: 154, 161, 168, 175, 182
Design: All New

FairToMiddlin (tested 182):The Kanjo has a stated sidecut of 21.6 m, and it feels every bit of it. At 84 mm underfoot, it is a bit of a head-scratcher. In my voice memo, I called it “the most leisurely all mountain ski." Most skis this width are tighter turning by design, but the Kanjo requires some additional steering to keep down, or some extra room to roam. It wants to motor. Motoring is pleasant on the Kanjo, however; it has a strong, damp construction and feels stable at speed and in choppy off-piste conditions, like Sail Away Glades.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados who prefer a narrower ski. Imagine a current Bonafide that is 84 mm underfoot.
  • Who is it not for? All-mountain skiers who have a strong focus on the front side -- unless you’re a midweek skier with lots of space to yourself.
  • Insider tip: You might have guessed by now, the Kanjo skis long. Feel free to size down without worrying if you will end up with a skittish ride.
Philpug (tested 175): Völkl, Völkl, Völkl … we were getting along so well ever since you started offering your very good 3D Ridge skis. For years, we have asked for years, for a men’s version of the Yumi. But of the old Yumi. Seriously, a 19.6m radius on a 175cm ski for an intermediate to advanced skier? No. This isn’t a men’s Yumi, it is a Kendo lite. The new Kanjo (a name to misspell, mispronounce, and most importantly miss the target). Ladies, this goes for the new Yumi, too. To quote our commander in chief, “Sad, very sad.”
  • Who is it for? Skiers who aren’t strong enough to ski a Kendo.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates, this is a ski that skis big.
  • Insider tip: Not the playful ski that we wanted.
19Volkl100Eight.png
Völkl 100Eight
Dimensions: 141-108-124
Radius: 22m@181cm
Sizes: 173, 181, 189
Size tested: 189
Design: New Construction

Drahtguy Kevin: As with the RTM models, the 100Eight got a fiberglass wrap-around. It is noticeable on hard pack – not what the ski is built for – but not so much in softer snow, bumps, and trees. With zero camber, the 24.5m (189cm) radius doesn’t really apply, at least not for me. The pivoty nature of the 100Eight leads to a narrower feel while its grip is marvelous when desired. Another ski for the “to buy” list.
  • Who is it for? Fun-seekers willing to investigate stashes.
  • Who is it not for? The unimaginative.
  • Insider tip: Doesn't ride like a zero-camber ski.

Philpug: I still cannot get over Völkl's 3D Ridge. Where I thought previous generations of Völkls felt heavy and damp (often to the point of dead), these new sticks ski fantastic. I am usually not a fan of reverse- or zero-camber skis, but it works here.
  • Who is it for? The value-conscious skier.
  • Who is it not for? Those who like pop out of a ski.
  • Insider tip: One of the few skis in this range with zero camber.
18VolklRTM81.png
Völkl RTM 81
Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177, 182
Size tested: 177

Drahtguy Kevin: Völkl tweaked the build of this ski and made it better. The added fiberglass increased the stability and feel. The stated 17.9m radius is easily manipulated shorter or longer. Cruise? Sure. Dial it up and arc? Why not. Bumps? Bring 'em on. I couldn’t find a thing this ski couldn’t handle admirably.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting to Ride The Mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Powder hounds.
  • Insider tip: Click in and enjoy the show.
18Volklrtm84.png
Völkl RTM 84 UVO
Dimensions: 131-84-112
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 162, 167, 172, 177, 182
Size Tested: 177

UGASkiDawg: Now this is the Völkl I remember, lots of power and edgehold, and great fun when you paid attention. It was like a freight train running down the mountain, always wanting to go faster and faster. I did not take this thing into the bumps but I can guess the 177 would have been for a handful for me. It’s not more powerful than an MX84/89 or Monster 88, which are two comparable skis, but for me it was more demanding. It is a brute force engine of destruction if you’ve got the skills!
  • Who is it for? If you looking to get from the top to the bottom in a hurry across all types of terrain and you love to be challenged and rewarded in equal measures, this is the ski for you!
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who doesn’t like to go fast.
  • Insider tip: If you are a finesse skier, size down.
18Volklrtm86uvo.png
Völkl RTM 86 UVO
Dimensions: 132-86-114
Radius: 18.1m@177cm
Sizes: 167, 172, 177, 182
Size tested: 177

Drahtguy Kevin: The new build benefits the 86 as much as it did the 81. The 86 adds the UVO stabilizer near the tip, and it is noticeable. The silky feel increases as speed is ramped up. Entering and exiting turns caused giggles of delight. The power, stability, and edgehold made me want to reach deeper in all areas and snow conditions I took her through. Did I mention the silky feel? Where’s my extra money ….
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking to explore every inch of the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Snowboarders. Hell, they'd probably like this ski, too.
  • Insider tip: Skis like this can spoil a fella.

Women's
18VolklFlairSC.png
Völkl Flair SC E
Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Sizes: 150, 155, 160, 165
Size tested: 165
Design: Carryover

Tricia: Völkl’s Flair line, which was introduced last year, is back with the SC E as the leader in its class with a beautiful shape and UVO technology; this ski turned on a dime, held an edge, and made every bump in the run feel smooth. I handed this back to the rep reluctantly, but with a giant grin on my face.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers, here is your precision groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? The meek.
  • Insider tip: This is last season's SC UVO with a binding change; the vMotion3 is GripWalk-compatible.
18 Volkl Flair 81.png
Völkl Flair 81
Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 14.7m@163cm
Sizes: 148, 156, 163, 171
Size tested: 163
Design: Carryover/NGT

Tricia: (from last year) Völkl’s new Flair line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what they say it is. The Flair 81 is a super fun and easy ski for groomers with enough kick in the butt to put a grin on the face of any advanced woman skier. Really nice, responsive, and powerful -- and friendly when you want to get a little lazy.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a good frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive it.
18VOLKLYUMI.png
Völkl Yumi
Dimensions: 123-84-104
Radius: 17.6m@168cm
Sizes: 147, 154, 161, 168
Size tested: 168
Design: All New

Tricia: This popular ski from Völkl has gone through some changes this year with a little bit different shape. I didn’t notice much difference in the overall performance or turn shape, but I felt that it was slightly damper and added a level of stability that may inspire a timid skier.
  • Who is it for? An intermediate skier looking for inspiration.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers steeps and chutes.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a Yumi fan of years past who is looking to move up to a stronger version, this is your ski.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Question on the Yumi... I've heard they've added metal for 2018 (not happy about this change). How much and where is the metal (just underfoot vs whole length of ski), if you guys know? I'm trying to decide whether or not to hoard a 2017 for future use.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question on the Yumi... I've heard they've added metal for 2018 (not happy about this change). How much and where is the metal (just underfoot vs whole length of ski), if you guys know? I'm trying to decide whether or not to hoard a 2017 for future use.
Metal was not added but there is metal under the foot as reinforcement for the binding. If you like the current ski, the new one is vastly different, think of a lightweight Kenja.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Metal was not added but there is metal under the foot as reinforcement for the binding. If you like the current ski, the new one is vastly different, think of a lightweight Kenja.

Hmmm... I liked the Kenjas a lot, owned them, just couldn't flex them well. Maybe I'll give them a chance. My Kastles have metal just under the binding and I can still flex them OK. Thanks for the info!

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question on the RTM 81. I have the original no camber version which I love. One of my all time favorites. I use it is my Mid Atlantic all mountain ski. That means mostly < 750'. I ski all over including moguls and natural snow areas and as a beer racer, I can also lay them over on the groom. My 81's have served well but it is time to move on. Will the new camber 81;'s be a good replacement or should I go wider with the 84 or 86 or another ski altogether?

I do work p/t at a shop so my choices are limited to Volkl, Blizzard, Nordica and Rossi.

Thanks,

Rick

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question on the RTM 81. I have the original no camber version which I love. One of my all time favorites. I use it is my Mid Atlantic all mountain ski. That means mostly < 750'. I ski all over including moguls and natural snow areas and as a beer racer, I can also lay them over on the groom. My 81's have served well but it is time to move on. Will the new camber 81;'s be a good replacement or should I go wider with the 84 or 86 or another ski altogether?

I do work p/t at a shop so my choices are limited to Volkl, Blizzard, Nordica and Rossi.

Thanks,

Rick
I really like the new RTM's, much more than the RTM that you are referring to. The new one is easy like yours but has more grip on firmer snow with the addition of camber under the foot. Out of the brands that you have access to, I still like the Volkl, you could go up to the 84, that will give you the UVO which makes an even better hard snow ski.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid