• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'd have loved to have met Marc Guido. I read his nationwide text only ski reports from a forum in the early days of Usenet. (25yrs ago) !
He was based at a small ski area in upstate New York at that time.
I think he ski patrolled in New England, perhaps VT, before moving to UT.

I’ll let him know, he’ll be tickled to hear of a fan from years ago who still remembers him.
Pretty sure the small NY hill was Willard Mt. er maybe West Mt ? Maybe patrolled later at Jay Peak.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
At Alta the bottom of the Supreme and Sugarloaf lifts are close together. We were meeting someone, but I wasn't sure at which chair. So I''m cruising into Supreme, looking around, when I suddenly realized I was about to ski into a double rope from the lift maze out to a "slow" sign. So I dropped to the ground and slid under the lower strand, about 18 inches off the groud, like sliding into home. It was very stupid to need to do it, but actually kind of fun.
That makes 3 of us with this almost hit the the rope problem. One pugster got snagged and was bleeding a bit from the mouth.

I was entering Secret Saddle at Alta minutes after the rope dropped. Was going a bit fast saw a clutter of avy signs, open signs etc with poorly tagged ropes.
When it was too late i saw the rope ahead, did a panic right turn, crashed into the "open" sign knocking it half down then spun around thru the entrance crashing on the ground breaking my ski pole. Not hurt and I had 2 sets of extra poles in the car near GMD. I told a ski patroller 3 of us didn't see ropes due to them being poorly tagged. He was just grumpy.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Step 2. If there is a gap between 2 ropes, often known as an open gate - go there.
Didn't do that. To the right of the gap was an avy sign and due to an almost unseen rope I thought the opening was between the avy sign and the "Open" sign,
Crashed broke a ski pole and almost knocked the whole shebang down. No bodily harm fortunately. :philgoat:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I almost hung myself on the rope at the Wildcat lift trying to get to the dps tent. I saw the orange ribbon which I thought was the end of the lift corral but I didn't see the larger orange spools on the poles at the actual end of the corral. I ducked just in time, to the ammusment of the liftie. No one else was in line. No Joker smile for me, unlike Phelmut.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Running into the rope can happen anywhere. Right @Philpug and @Tricia? :doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Clearly this is a widespread problem that needs to be dealt with. I am going to suggest that we build a wall and we'll have (New) Mexico pay for it. John please get a petition going.
So, you're saying we're meeting you at Taos.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure, safety is job 1 so I'll tell my boss it's a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Clearly this is a widespread problem that needs to be dealt with. I am going to suggest that we build a wall and we'll have (New) Mexico pay for it. John please get a petition going.

So, you're saying we're meeting you at Taos.

I'm sure TSV will gladly contribute to the wall fund. On the condition both of you come to Taos next year and ski the first 10 named runs off the West Basin Ridge. :D

Tony

tseeb
Skier
When uploading photos from more recent trip, I found a few from UT Gathering that I thought I should share.

Sorry, but I don't know the lady's name on the left. That is Lucia in the center and @Weegie McAdams on the right. I tried removing the red-eye on @Philpug but it looked worse.
1689LuciaWeegieShotSki.JPG

Seeing the look on my wife's face, I think you need to go back to Ullr or Schnapps or get a better tequila. A least she didn't bid on anything.
1690LuciaWeegieShotSki.JPG

Some of us @Poolskier Vinny @John Webb (who I hope is not also drinking what's in his left hand) @Unpiste @MattSmith Lucia (partially hidden behind @Near Nyquist) @Weegie McAdams and I'm guessing Tommy who may be @Tommythom kept the party going for a while in the parking lot at Goldminer's Daughter, thanks to @Near Nyquist who was passing out beers and whisky from his truck. At least the cold drove us inside before the Sheriff. @tommyt
1691GMDTailgaters.JPG

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
You know someone HAD to take a photo of this. Quite possibly the nicest bathrooms I've ever been in. View attachment 40609 View attachment 40610 View attachment 40611

Thanks, @Andy Mink. My better half, who has lots more work vacation days than I do <sigh> flew out to the Utah resorts on FF miles a few weeks before the gathering since our snow in the Mid-A has been crap for most of this season. I told him to take a picture of the men's bathroom and he forgot. He did say that the men's bathrooms were just a few steps up from Mid Atlantic places -- especially Elk Mountain.

@Philpug, thought you might appreciate the Elk vs. Snowbasin bathroom comparison.

@AmyPJ, I *will* make it to Snowbasin next year. Can't wait for a tour of the mountain, as well as the bathrooms. ;-)

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Sorry, but I don't know the lady's name on the left.
1689luciaweegieshotski-jpg.42058

On the left is Anne. I'm not sure if she has a screen name here on Pugski.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
So I've been a complete slacker when it comes to uploading photos from Utah. Trying to make up for it now. A few below which I will tag later. Anybody know easiest way to upload videos from my iPhone?

This was another awesome Gathering. Great resorts, great housemates, great snow, great company, and even (in Utah) some great beer, thanks to Matchstix, who was our beer educator for the week.

AA61F19F-85C1-4508-89FF-183F7C9D25C0.jpeg F95AC9F5-D311-40F4-BDE1-41CE206FCBE5.jpeg AA729C7E-B18F-44E8-BC37-374C1B9D87F8.jpeg 88DC5823-2805-4250-9C91-8217A53B05A2.jpeg C264BBDE-A1A6-46C8-8769-A966E63AC65F.jpeg E5AFFE5A-DD42-4731-B47E-4AA9155D7ECF.jpeg 84537818-C93A-42D8-9CFA-8ACF145E82A8.jpeg 6A54A7B4-8EF3-4118-9B1F-A42218E950C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice additions to this thread.