• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Photo from the party with about 70% of the group that was in attendance for the week.
Editing the placeholder post to include this picture so its easy to find.
2018 UT Gathering group shot2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Day One (not including travel)

Morning view from our deck up in Moose Hollow.
upload_2018-3-2_22-5-25.jpeg

Snowbasin

Took a while to get the crew out the door and to the resort. 8 guys from 29 to 61, intermediate to expert, 2 new to our mini gathering. I got my Mountain Collective Pass without problem and everyone else picked up their week in advance online purchase passes.

Only 3 lifts were running, Littlecat, Becker and Wildcat, all other lifts on wind hold, but everyone was hopeful that more would open. They did tease us twice during the day by running the Needles Gondola, but that was only to rotate people at the upper mountain lodge.

Even with only about 20% of the mountain open, We had a mostly good day. Moderately crowded in the morning since the real estate was limited. Snow on-trail was decent, thin in the trees. Temperature in the low 30s. Wind gusts could be felt near the top of Wildcat. Crowd thinned around lunchtime as hopes dimmed on getting more of the mountain opened. Light snow started after lunch.

The Moose (okay, this is an end of day shot, but belongs near the beginning of the story)
20180302_150609.jpg

Son#1 waiting for the laggards on the first run.
upload_2018-3-2_22-6-55.jpeg

Favorite landscape shot
upload_2018-3-2_21-48-58.jpeg

First casualty of the trip.
upload_2018-3-2_22-4-4.jpeg
In a lift line, no less. 2:30pm at Wildcat. 4 not quite sober guys come barreling 'round the plastic slowdown barrier and ram into me and my son. No bodily damage, but after the untangling, one of my poles didn't survive. The guy was apologetic and reimbursed me for the poles. But my plan to experiment with different lengths, as was discussed in another forum, ended prematurely. The worst part of the incident was one the other guys laughing and saying "you ski at your own risk." Wish I would have thought of a comeback about the skier responsibility code at the time.

I'll have to check on whether I can get a replacement lower section. Would hate to scrap out the sticks.

Tomorrow, Powder Mountain if the winds mellow, otherwise will stay on the ground with some cross country skiing.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_21-37-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_21-37-50.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 9
  • upload_2018-3-2_21-39-22.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_21-39-22.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 9
  • upload_2018-3-2_21-43-52.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_21-43-52.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2018-3-2_21-45-1.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_21-45-1.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2018-3-2_21-45-23.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-2_21-45-23.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8

MarkP

Skier

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The worst part of the incident was one the other guys laughing and saying "you ski at your own risk." Wish I would have thought of a comeback about the skier responsibility code at the time.

Short of simply explaining the responsibility code (or if the message does't get across), the best comeback I can think of at that point is calling for the lift attendant to radio ski patrol. That, or make the message literally loud and clear enough that everyone in earshot will know what's going on. Sounds like this group did not belong on the mountain, and needed some educating as to why.

Glad everyone is okay.

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
One picture of young skiers doing aerial off jump in middle of mogul course at Park City on Friday. IMG_5593.JPG

And one of a T-shirt at Roosters on 25th St. in Ogden. Last time I was there was during SLC Olympics. They also had shirts that said first wife, second wife, sister wife and I tried polygamy in Utah. IMG_5607.JPG

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In a lift line, no less. 2:30pm at Wildcat. 4 not quite sober guys come barreling 'round the plastic slowdown barrier and ram into me and my son. No bodily damage, but after the untangling, one of my poles didn't survive. The guy was apologetic and reimbursed me for the poles. But my plan to experiment with different lengths, as was discussed in another forum, ended prematurely. The worst part of the incident was one the other guys laughing and saying "you ski at your own risk." Wish I would have thought of a comeback about the skier responsibility code at the time.

I'll have to check on whether I can get a replacement lower section. Would hate to scrap out the sticks.

Sorry for the encounter with such an idiot but glad to hear only your pole is a casualty. Black Diamond sells replacement in their SLC headquarter, but I don’t think you have BD poles, hard to see on my phone. Stay safe.

Matchstix

Skis with cameras
Skier
Had a great day at Brighton with @Tony S @mdf, and @JohnL and @Gary Stolt later in the day. Mosty skied various trees off of the Snake Creek and Crest Express. Found some nice snow in some of the tighter trees, it was nice to get back in the groove after not skiing since the last Gathering!

Here's today's single photo, Tony, John and my dad are bottom right. I've got the DSLR pack with me too, will probably bring it out Monday or Tuesday.

pre-day scenery.jpg

MarkP

Skier
Sorry for the encounter with such an idiot but glad to hear only your pole is a casualty. Black Diamond sells replacement in their SLC headquarter, but I don’t think you have BD poles, hard to see on my phone. Stay safe.

They're Yukon Charlie Carbon Trekkers. The name has changed slightly and the graphics on the upper section are different, but the lower section looks identical in the picture. I've emailed their customer service.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
20180303_195727.jpg
Pie'r Us
(L-R)My ski pal Drew,Kevin. Mike & Tony.
Thanks guys for a fun evening!

Sponsor

Staff online