• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Are you booked at that place for the entire duration of your stay in UT for the gathering?
Any others booking there?
How long is the UTC buss ride to and from Alta/Snowbird?

We are staying there 3/2-3/10

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was looking at the ski bus map, do I read it correctly that the only stops are the transfer points (marked with a "T" in a circle) and then the park and ride lots?

I'm considering changing to the Crystal if in there is a stop right in front of the hotel (or a short walk). Might as well be hopeful for a powder day and leaving the rental car parked :)

TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
jgiddyup is generally pretty good researching this stuff.

Michel & I just booked this place. If you sign up for their email thing the rate is about $100 a night all in. Full Breakfast and light dinner included with the UTA ski bus stop right in front.

http://www.crystalinnmidvalley.com
I was looking at the ski bus map, do I read it correctly that the only stops are the transfer points (marked with a "T" in a circle) and then the park and ride lots?

I'm considering changing to the Crystal if in there is a stop right in front of the hotel (or a short walk). :)[/QUOTE}

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier

I'm considering changing to the Crystal if in there is a stop right in front of the hotel (or a short walk). Might as well be hopeful for a powder day and leaving the rental car parked :)

There are many other ski bus stops besides those marked with a "T" on the UTA map. There has been a stop along 3000 East in front of the Residence Inn in Cottonwood Hts. for many years. I presume it is there this year too although I haven't been up the canyon yet this season due to marginal conditions and lack of worthwhile terrain open. You could always call the Residence Inn to verify. I wouldn't bother contacting UTA customer no-service for reliable information. A storm is moving into the Salt Lake Valley/Cottonwood Canyons right now. Forecast is for 12" -18" at resort elevation, then nothing for at least a week.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the great info, I figured I could count on someone being able to tell me what's what.

TS
Uncle Louie

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Thanks for the great info, I figured I could count on someone being able to tell me what's what.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Crystal Inn MidValley (Murray UT) directly with any questions you have. When I stayed there I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

JPM

Booting up
Skier

Stayed at the Marriott for 4 winters +++. This was prior to the build out in the area. Two very good restaurants (Bandits, Cafe Trio) in the development and a third that has my interest (Spitz), also a ski shop (Powder House) is there. There are couple of places in the small plaza at the intersection of 30th and E Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd. Across 30th, is an upscale joint (Market Street). E Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd (Hog Wallow) and at the intersection with Fort Union (Porcupine Pub) and a ski shop (Lift House).

On a powder day, drive up to the swamp lot on Wasatch Blvd or to the lot or to the the bottom of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Leave early, early, early. A powder day out here is like Potato recess in "The County".

I do seem to remember a bus stop near the Residence Inn.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'm trying to book something for Sat/Sun nights before the Snowbasin days. There are a lot of choices near Odgen, but I don't like that the ones I like best charge more for cancel-able rooms than non-cancel-able. I also like what @dbostedo booked in Eden although it is all booked up. Then I saw Worldmark timeshare in Eden (20 miles from Snowbasin). 2 bedroom unit with full kitchen, fireplace, balcony. laundry in unit, hot tub in complex is available for $380 for the two nights which is probably less than it costs timeshare owners. If anyone is interested in sharing a unit with my wife and me, please PM me soon. King bedroom which looks like a loft could pay $100/night then queen (or two twins from picture?) bedroom $90/night. If someone took the fold-out couch in living room for $40-50/night, the costs for other/more private bedrooms would be lower.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Has anyone stayed at In Town Suites (7200 near the Days Inn, La Quinta, Denny's) and have an opinion?
Seem remarkably inexpensive, which raises a red flag to my cynical mind.
I've stayed at that In Town Suites a few times - including once under it's former name. A good basic room adequate but not large. Seemed to have everything like WiFi, a small kitchen area with fridge,stove and microwave. May need your own dishes if they're stolen (likely). Bought some at a nearby thrift store and redonated on departure. Desk/check-in hours are limited. Seems to want to rent a week or longer for best rates. Convenient location. No lobby or AM coffee etc.
Make up of the guests was hard to figure out. Not many skiers. A lot of temporary visitors or construction workers. Did see a few high end cars like Mercedes etc.

I checked them for this year and found rates up a lot ( nearly that of the Midvale Motel 6) Then suddenly the Extended Stay America had a 2 day "flash sale" about 40% off ( Union Park Extended Stay America-used by many at the last UT gathering) so I quick booked their killer deal for only a bit more.

Other options like Homewood suites and Super 8 etc are along 7200 South in that area.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Thanks John.
I'm pretty familiar with all the Ft Union venues, but as I'll be solo on this trip have been looking to go full dirtbag on expense.
Not, however, at risk of winding up in the middle of a drug war!!
Mercedes parking at the cheapest place in town doesn't fill me with confidence :eek:

Wish I'd caught that flash sale at ESA :doh:

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello all! By sheer coincidence I will be at Alta during most of the gathering. I am meeting my cousin and son that week. I am arriving on Tuesday March 6th and flying home a week later. I have a double booked at the Gold Miners Daughter and am looking for a roommate. for the week, or at least for part of the week to help with the rooming costs which are already high. But I am told the Gold Miners Daughter is an iconic place to stay and does include breakfast and dinner. Plus you are only steps from a lift.

Please pm me here (and I can give you phone number)

Thanks

Rick G

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier

I went by the Residence Inn on 3000 E. in Cottonwood Heights one week ago today and the UTA ski bus stop is still there. The Big Cottonwood Canyon bus (#972) and the Little Cottonwood Canyon bus (#953) will both stop there if riders are present. Buses returning from the canyons/resorts drop riders off across and down the street about a block. There is a traffic light there with crosswalks.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Daniel, thanks for checking that out. I need to check to see if both bus lines stop in front of the Crystal Inn.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick poll: (I will probably start a new thread.)
I have gotten information on how to reserve a private room at Snowbasin that we can use to store our bags and such (not overnight) and also dine with just our group. This would eliminate the need to pay each day to check your stuff downstairs, or boot up at the car. It would cost $5-ishper day depending on how many participate.

Who would be interested? And more importantly, who would be willing to commit by sending me some money?

Sponsor

Staff online