• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I consider the GMD my home away from home... I have always thought that the food at GMD was very good. Last year, it was a little uneven, but my understanding is that they hired a new chef for this year.
I enjoyed the food very much last year, which was my first time there. So if that was "uneven"' and it's better this year, I'm stoked.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoyed the food very much last year, which was my first time there. So if that was "uneven"' and it's better this year, I'm stoked.
And uneven is being generous compared to previous years

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
OK, yes, but how can you screw up breakfast?
As far as lunch goes, that's pretty hard to screw up too.
Now dinner is the crux of the matter.
Fingers crossed!
What is their policy on wine? Can you bring your own bottle?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
If so, do they charge a reasonable corkage? Or is there no charge?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fingers crossed!

We brought wine to Peruvian a few years back; I don't remember a corkage fee. Probably weren't supposed to bring it into the state, but whatevs.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
GMD does allow you bring your own bottle and the corkage is reasonable, though I don't remember exactly what it was. As with restaurants elsewhere, offering the server a glass, particularly is it's a really good wine, will often cause them to forget to charge the fee.

And as to in-state vs out-of-state bottles: that used to be an issue, but they changed the tax sticker thing a few years back and since the bottles no longer have a sticker and they can't determine the origin of the bottle, the problem has gone away.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fingers crossed!
You are correct. Breakfast is always fine. GMD doesn't include lunch, although you can buy it in the cafe downstairs. 4:00 snack is also great. So, yes, dinner is the crux. And if last year was my first year, I would have been satisfied but not wowed. I have been wowed in the past. At least in a relative sense. (Those 10 year anniversary dinners at l'espalier are hard to beat)(and I still dream about the wild mushroom soup that I had at Jasper's).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
GMD does allow you bring your own bottle and the corkage is reasonable, though I don't remember exactly what it was.

When we were there your (or someone's?) friend Craig brought some fabulous bottles. (Thanks Craig!) Someone paid corkage on the first bottle. When it was time to open the 2nd bottle, it was a bit late and our waiter was hard to find. I said "screw it", went back to my room and got my corkscrew and opened the 2nd one. And the 3rd, by the way. That amortises the corkage fee considerably.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When we were there your (or someone's?) friend Craig brought some fabulous bottles. (Thanks Craig!) Someone paid corkage on the first bottle. When it was time to open the 2nd bottle, it was a bit late and our waiter was hard to find. I said "screw it", went back to my room and got my corkscrew and opened the 2nd one. And the 3rd, by the way. That amortises the corkage fee considerably.

I claim responsibility for at least one of those bottles! Because we drove, we each brought 6 bottles, trying to outdo each other.

Ah yes, Craig. I do miss him. He retired and moved to Seattle to live on a sailboat three years ago. The last time I spoke with him he had come down with an eye malady, macular degeneration I believe, and can't ski in overcast conditions. He has since moved to Florida to daily pursue his other passion- sailing. He is a world class competitor in the Hobie Catamaran division.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I claim responsibility for at least one of those bottles! Because we drove, we each brought 6 bottles, trying to outdo each other.

Well thank you too! That was the first time I had Isosceles. A memorable bottle.
It is always good to be nearby when knowledgeable wine fans are showing off!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well thank you too! That was the first time I had Isosceles. A memorable bottle.

Now I'm learning what I missed that night... Craig and @cosmoliu generously extended a dinner invitation at GMD which I regrettably declined, not confident I could drive back to SLC safely after the wining and dining.

Well, looks like we'll just have to recreate or top the experience next March.

Btw, am heading to Bordeaux in 2 weeks, feel free to PM me bottles to try or bring back.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I'd forgotten I brought the Isosceles. Justin is just up the road from us. The Zin that was a hit with those present was Craig's. He's a Zin guy.

Now I'm learning what I missed that night... Craig and @cosmoliu generously extended a dinner invitation at GMD which I regrettably declined, not confident I could drive back to SLC safely after the wining and dining.

Well, looks like we'll just have to recreate or top the experience next March.

Btw, am heading to Bordeaux in 2 weeks, feel free to PM me bottles to try or bring back.

Um... Maybe a wee taste of Château Margaux? That would definitely be a topper!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(Those 10 year anniversary dinners at l'espalier are hard to beat)(and I still dream about the wild mushroom soup that I had at Jasper's).

Stop. Just stop. Groan. And Jasper White is long gone anyway, right?

Sponsor

Staff online