• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
GMD is cheaper and closer to the lifts for sure. But the Peruvian has lot of charm and a good bar (for Utah).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I consider the GMD my home away from home... I have always thought that the food at GMD was very good. Last year, it was a little uneven, but my understanding is that they hired a new chef for this year.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:D

Back to the topic at hand, I'm happy to answer questions about lodging in the Ogden area, transportation, etc.
I thought that we are ALL staying at your house:rolleyes:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm staying in a condo down in the valley this time, but I have done the Golminer's Daughter and heartily endorse it.
If you are doing the Snowbasin days you might want to delay your check-in at GMD till the Altabird days.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I'm staying in a condo down in the valley this time, but I have done the Golminer's Daughter and heartily endorse it.
If you are doing the Snowbasin days you might want to delay your check-in at GMD till the Altabird days.
Yep. Check in Tuesday, after first Snowbird day.
My plan is to spend Monday night in the Salt Lake City/Sandy area, after skiing Snowbasin on Sunday/Monday.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Any ideas as to where to stay near Snowbasin on Saturday and Sunday nights?
Or more specifically, where in Ogden

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've booked the Hampton Inn in Layton for about $100/night; once flights are confirmed will probably switch to the advance pay and get it for less than $90.
Seems to be pretty convenient for getting to Snowbasin. Lots of motels in that area, check Priceline, etc if you're not in Hilton Honors.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have I missed a post listing the proposed schedule? Due to prior commitments, I will likely only be able to interface with the gathering if LCC comes later in the week. I've not signed onto the roll call for that reason.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Dates:
3/3 Day 0 (Saturday): Travel Day
3/4 Day 1 (Sunday): Snowbasin
3/5 Day 2 (Monday): Snowbasin
3/6Day 3 (Tuesday): Snowbird
3/7 Day 4 (Wednesday): Snowbird
3/8 Day 5 (Thursday): Atla
3/9 Day 6 (Friday): Alta
3/10 Day 7: (Saturday): Alternate Day--Snowbird

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any ideas as to where to stay near Snowbasin on Saturday and Sunday nights?
Or more specifically, where in Ogden
Do you want a condo, or hotel? There is a Best Western at the mouth of Weber Canyon that is the closest hotel, that is truly the closest lodging and has all freeway/highway access to the mountain. It's in Uinta. Otherwise, look into staying in the Ogden Valley. OR see if any of the condos here in Mountain Green are available. There are a few. Just be warned, there is NOTHING but a gas station here. It's a quick trip down Weber Canyon to dining and groceries, though.

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the South Weber Park N Ride to Snowbasin that is very close to the Best Western, if you'll need transportation. It's worth calling the hotel to find out if they offer shuttle service to that Park N Ride. I'm also happy to carpool up from Mountain Green but my car can't hold a ton of people and equipment.

Downtown Ogden can be a fun place to stay, and there are shuttle buses that run from there up to the mountain, too. Unless you are an early bird, the bus is the way to go to get up there, because Saturday mornings in particular have gotten very backed up on the drive up there. As in, get your butts on the road by 7:30 or enjoy waiting in a long line of traffic to drive the 3 miles up Snowbasin Road, which is two-lane. (This was the #1 biggest complaint from folks last winter, as I was doing surveys for the mountain. The traffic on weekends and the parking situation was getting bad.) There is enough parking, it just doesn't funnel in fast enough. I'm all about getting up there early and grabbing a kid's breakfast so I can skip lunch ;)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will most likely be staying at the Worldmark at Wolf Creek in Eden Saturday-Tuesday, might arrive a day early and ski Saturday. While it's closest to Powder Mt, Snowbasin is an easy 25 minute drive.

While I would love to stay at Alta, we have family where we can stay Tuesday-Friday, a block away from Sugarhouse Park in SLC. Free nudges out convenience :) And frankly, a 35 to 45 minute drive in the morning is so much more convenient and quick than my usual ski commute, so I just might be able to cope.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Do you want a condo, or hotel? There is a Best Western at the mouth of Weber Canyon that is the closest hotel, that is truly the closest lodging and has all freeway/highway access to the mountain. It's in Uinta. Otherwise, look into staying in the Ogden Valley. OR see if any of the condos here in Mountain Green are available. There are a few. Just be warned, there is NOTHING but a gas station here. It's a quick trip down Weber Canyon to dining and groceries, though.

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the South Weber Park N Ride to Snowbasin that is very close to the Best Western, if you'll need transportation. It's worth calling the hotel to find out if they offer shuttle service to that Park N Ride. I'm also happy to carpool up from Mountain Green but my car can't hold a ton of people and equipment.

Downtown Ogden can be a fun place to stay, and there are shuttle buses that run from there up to the mountain, too. Unless you are an early bird, the bus is the way to go to get up there, because Saturday mornings in particular have gotten very backed up on the drive up there. As in, get your butts on the road by 7:30 or enjoy waiting in a long line of traffic to drive the 3 miles up Snowbasin Road, which is two-lane. (This was the #1 biggest complaint from folks last winter, as I was doing surveys for the mountain. The traffic on weekends and the parking situation was getting bad.) There is enough parking, it just doesn't funnel in fast enough. I'm all about getting up there early and grabbing a kid's breakfast so I can skip lunch ;)
Do we have what amounts to a headquarters hotel for this portion of the trip? If not we should.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought we had determined that already, Amy's place? :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January