• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Stockli SR95 184

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
today we skied on 10" of light (not blower) powder which was really nice to not hear my skis :) I finally felt the trees had enough cover so after a couple of warm-ups on open stuff I headed into the trees: Aspens and evergreens. The Ski did a remarkable job of having a nice balance of float and precision, you could certainly trust the ski to not get tossed around in the cut-up trees and yet it was nimble and easy, weaving through the terrain. The 95 responds very well to input and the softish tip absorb troughs so well. I found the ski rather flickable. Its more of a precision feel than surfy but you could easily release the edges and drift. Really loved how once you got back onto the open you could lay the ski on edge and really arc em.

side note: my LSS has been playing around with a 2:2 tune for wider skis on soft snow, I was skeptical but this tune is really nice. it allows the edges to release very smoothly and this is noticeable in the bumps and trees but they engage very well when you are in the open and want to arc the ski. Give it a try.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
My goodness - these are great skis. Skied Vail all day today- couple inches to boot top. Mild chop to huge piles later in the day. No problemo. Makes a zero a hero. I totally get why these cost what they do -> they are worth it. Would have loved the 105 today - prefer a bigger radius in crud, but these were fine. Could easily live with these as a OSQ, but that wouldn't be fun. Count me a #stocklifanboy

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really have to demo or get one of these skis, the SR 95 or 107. Maybe the 88?

Until then,
@Ron ,
The widest Stockli I own is 80 waist, XXLs. (I've owned three pairs of them.) I'd love if you could compare the 95s and 107s to a few skis I've had experience with, that you have been on too, for reference. First, How does the Nordica Enforcer 100 (I demoed first version) compare to these - in soft snow, in bumps, on groomers? The Enforcer 100 is probably a good standard/baseline for a ski of that width handling crud and soft snow well, bumps and groomers fairly well also. So I'd love a comparison, since you've had both. For one thing, I'd guess the Stocklis hold an edge even better.

Also, the Pinnacle 105 is now much more substantial this year, able to carve well and hold its own on both groomers and soft terrain: I gather you have demoed that, and would love to get your feedback/comparison to both SRs.

On the narrower Stocklies I have been on, there is a common Stockli feel that they have: a bit stiffer than most skis, very damp, and for me they like to be skied with an emphasis on riding the edge, railing, rather than pure carving, if that makes sense. They handle unevenness and some crud better than most similar skis, to me. And they love to be laid over, when desired, but don't need to be. Thanks in advance.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Another day, another WOW!

Today was bluebird, after the 8" (cough, cough). Up early, mad dash to pillage Sun Up, Tea Cup and then China bowls. Wind buffed and these are just so smooth, float fine, tips just seem to have enough suppleness that you can't sink them. Groomers back to lifts - just great. They just inspire confidence. Actually had me looking for moguls (which has never been my "thing"). Pop off a cat track at speed, cornice on Genghis - no worries.

Seemingly have the perfect mix of flex, dampness, float and they just turn on a dime - without being "hooky".

I had kind of second guessed 95 vs 105, but really can't see anything it would add other than a few cm's and a straighter side cut for crud. And not sure what the trade off would be - I guess that's why you demo. I'm afraid to ski the 115's on a really deep powder day - or at least my credit card is.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the "issue" here is that the Stockli's you are skiing are quite a bit different now. They aren't overly stiff demanding skis now but are supple and workable with energy and pop. I just skied them this weekend in about 6" over some skied out firm bumps on steepish headwalls (~35*) and was impressed again how they floated and schmeared when needed but could be edged into the hard snow just as easy. The nordi is a great ski but just not as refined and "automatic" as the SR95 which seamlessly transitions without pause. . I think the Nordi 100 is probably the closest ski to the SR95 but it isnt as refined or smooth or as damp (did I mention Smooth?) as the Nordi. Yes, the 95 has fantastic edgehold and can be carved too. Not knocking the Nordi at all, the SR95 is a clear notch above the Nordi though in the 184. It's really a GS ski that has off piste chops but dont discount how this ski can be rocked edge to edge and arced. Skiing behind @Doug Briggs at SIA was a lesson on how this ski can be skied! :)

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@ski otter 2 - you didn't ask me, but I had the Enforcer 100 (both OG and the new ones) too. The SR 95 is next level on an already great ski in the Enforcer, of course, it comes at a cost in $'s - but the myth of "baby seal skin" or whatever is true in my opinion. I've really tried to be critical and eliminate confirmation bias since the are not cheap. I've all but forgot how much it hurt at the register.

Totally agree with all of what @Ron said above. "Automatic" is a good word.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I have nto demoed the SR105 but I can tell you its different from the SR107. I do think they could have put a little more tip rocker (low rise, longer run) on the 105. It looks a bit more like an oversized GS ski. I think the SR95 in 184 may have even more rocker.

SnowDuck

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone skied the current 17/18 SR95 (metal top sheet with blue tartan graphic) and the 14/15 SR95 (metal top sheet with green and black graphic)? If so any comparisons appreciated.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I just checked the stoeckli.ch web site...the 88 & narrower will be new for '18-'19. The wider ones remain the same.

These SURE sound like just what I'm looking for. Anyone know of any demos for sale anywhere? (and what size would I just love????? I sure like my Laser AX 175)

James

Out There
Instructor
I just checked the stoeckli.ch web site...the 88 & narrower will be new for '18-'19. The wider ones remain the same.

These SURE sound like just what I'm looking for. Anyone know of any demos for sale anywhere? (and what size would I just love????? I sure like my Laser AX 175)
Well here's the earlier version in 174. With bindings, $750.
Have no idea what size you'd love, don't know what size you are.
https://www.pugski.com/threads/fs-stöcki-stormrider-95.9546/#post-233970

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone skied the current 17/18 SR95 (metal top sheet with blue tartan graphic) and the 14/15 SR95 (metal top sheet with green and black graphic)? If so any comparisons appreciated.

I’m certain I saw @Magi on the green and black ones at Snowbird in March....maybe he can enlighten you?

Mine are 2016/17 SR100’s....women’s version, but believe same construction as SR95 of same year, same as @Bobalooski ‘s for sale. Smooth and supple with enough tip rocker to make smearing and pivoting easy. I can struggle on challenging off piste terrain, but the skis have always had my back. I’m 5’10”, 170 and ski the 174. I also ski the 2018 SR83’s in the same length, which are lighter, poppier, and more forgiving, but still refined.

SnowDuck

Booting up
Skier
Thank you! Yup, looking for a ski that has one's back in dicey situations and is calm at high speeds on roughed up groomers -- and of course that reported Stockli buttery smoothness. 183 in the 2014/15 or 184 in the 18. BTW, checking because read that the bros over at TGR regard the 2018 as too soft and light.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier

I have both the 14/15 SR 95 and 17/18 SR 95's. I've been skiing my 14/15's all year since the snow has been so sketchy and it's nice to ski rock skis and not worry, plus I can save the new ones for when it's good.

I did ski the new ones (17/18) for a couple hours and found them to be really nice. Hard for me to describe the differences, but one thing I noticed was that the new ones carved really well and also still did the bumps well. They of course didn't carve like a Laser AX, but still pretty fun. The difference however may be the new edges versus the old ones with lots of miles on them.

I think you would be very happy with the new ones, they're such great skis.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both the 14/15 SR 95 and 17/18 SR 95's. I've been skiing my 14/15's all year since the snow has been so sketchy and it's nice to ski rock skis and not worry, plus I can save the new ones for when it's good.

I got the 175s this spring and pretty much turned them into rock skis immediately. [sacrilege, I know] But they are just so much fun in variable conditions! And by that I mean, trees and bumps that might have exposed rocks and roots, dust on crust (or 7" fresh on top of 6" rocks), chunder, just whatever you throw at them. I agree that "automatic" is a good word.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
I got the 175s this spring and pretty much turned them into rock skis immediately. [sacrilege, I know] But they are just so much fun in variable conditions! And by that I mean, trees and bumps that might have exposed rocks and roots, dust on crust (or 7" fresh on top of 6" rocks), chunder, just whatever you throw at them. I agree that "automatic" is a good word.

Your description is right on, they just ski so good in variable terrain; steep, gnarly, bumps, trees, does them all and so much fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
You're not allowed to let @SkiNurse on those skis.:eek:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Thank you! Yup, looking for a ski that has one's back in dicey situations and is calm at high speeds on roughed up groomers -- and of course that reported Stockli buttery smoothness. 183 in the 2014/15 or 184 in the 18. BTW, checking because read that the bros over at TGR regard the 2018 as too soft and light.

You will note be disappointed. I have the 184's - at first they seemed a tad short but I've gotten pretty attached. In fact, I'm buying a 2nd pair - just in case.

Anyway, I'm not a slow skier and these are totally fine blasting through chopped up powder. They don't get bucked around, just put them on edge and hunt for piles. Not certain how anyone could say they are too soft or too light maybe if you wanted to nuke concrete. Have not had any issues in CO, UT, WY - but don't ski maritime.

I think I've used the term before and it is mentioned above - they are pretty automatic. And to be honest surprisingly durable. In this case, you get what you pay for.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got the 175s this spring -
How you feel about the 175cm length? Asking because I'm around your size, a few inches shorter and a little more than a few pounds heavier. I'm 5'6.5" ~140lbs and feel caught in between the 166cm to 175cm SR95 sizing. I'm more inclined to go with the 175cm, not really interested in a 166cm all mountain ski but haven't demo'ed them and therefore don't know if I should keep the '17/18 SR95 on the radar.