• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Stockli SR95 184

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I will update this as I get more time on them but wanted to kick this off.

The 184 measures 183, 131-95-120 with a 19.3 m TR

Mounted with Aattack Demo's. I measured at +5/6mm (2 clicks forward on the demo) from the boot sole mark.
me: 6' 170 53y/o. Skiing Steamboat with a mix of soft groomers a few hard pack spots, soft piles and soft bumps

I wanted a ski I could use for 6-10" days and leftovers in sidecountry and piled groomers. I already ski and love the Laser AX (175) and the Stockli SR107 (183).

The SR95 is an interesting ski. The tips are softish with a rather long but low rise rocker profile.( I'll get some pics) Camber underfoot and a slightly turned up tail. Torsionally rigid. The tail is medium stiff but the ski flexes very consistently overall. In many ways this 95 reminds me of the AX but wider of course. Like the AX, I prefered the binding just a touch forward from the suggested point. The ski is a little quicker this way. This was also recommended by the shop. I skied this on the line and it was fine too. just not as quick.

The Stormrider is beyond smooth, precise and stable and yet still has a wonderful snow feel; again much like the AX. On the Blue groomer I was skiing, it had a couple inches of soft loose snow with some gravely snow on the first headwall. The Stockli responded very well to input and held on the gravel extremely well. It feels like a tighter radius on short radius turns and didnt feel long at all. It has great rebound and energy and could be popped at the end of the Short radius turns. Opening it up, its classic Stockli; super stable and smooth sucking up vibration and undulations very well. I really enjoyed the longer length on GS turns as it felt supremely smooth. Despite the longer rocker run, when tipped over, it certainly engages well, and did an excellent job of pulling you through the turn. I prefer very little tail rocker and really liked how this tail works. It can be held through the turn or easily broken off for controlled drift/ brush turns. I found the tail to have just the right amount of flex/stiffness. Overall, the ski is fairly forgiving.

In the bumps, the softer tips flexed well and absorbed nicely. I need more time on a longer run of bumps but the ski is easy to turn and drift. The tip shape performs well in bumps and piled snow, zero hookiness and a nice feel when pressuring the tips. In piled snow, just put the ski on edge; set and forget....

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
How does it compare to the previous SR95?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
How does it compare to the previous SR95?

Hey JIm, I did not ski the outgoing model. sorry

And how, besides being slightly wider, does it compare to your FX85?

the 95 is more powerful but I think due to the flex (and obviously, the width) , the fx 85 is more nimble in bumps. that ski is still in my quiver! For me, a 95 is pretty wide and will never be a daily driver. The fx85 is a superb ski but its not designed for ripping groomers due to the tapered tips and tails, It is a fantastic off-piste ski.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Hey JIm, I did not ski the outgoing model. sorry

the 95 is more powerful but I think due to the flex (and obviously, the width) , the fx 85 is more nimble in bumps. that ski is still in my quiver! For me, a 95 is pretty wide and will never be a daily driver. The fx85 is a superb ski but its not designed for ripping groomers due to the tapered tips and tails, It is a fantastic off-piste ski.

So, you lean more to the FX for off-piste and mixed-condition skiing? I'm looking at the SR97. Ever skied them?

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Laser AX and the SR95, last years and this years. I really like them both. I use the AX mostly for early season groomers where it makes great fun of early season conditions, fast and can hold a great edge. I find the SR95 better once conditions get good and especially for steeper terrain, bumps, and gnarly conditions. Jim, I haven't got my new SR95's out yet as I've been waiting for conditions to improve, but plan to soon and will let you know how they compare.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, for days when its hasn't snow recently or just a few inches. Have not skied the 97 but its targeted as a touring ski.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Skied the 95 today in 6" of heavier snow. The ski is unflappable at speed through piles and tracked out and still is quite numble in fesh over hard bumps. Ski has fantastic feedback and is so responsive. The tip has enough flex for bumps, the main body of the ski is a bit still but very workable. The tail has a very nice flex and can be worked as needed. Don't be afraid of the 184 length, this skis just fine at this length due to the rocker. I compared the tip profile of the 184 vs the 175, the 184 has much more rocker. I really like this length; the added stability is welcomed. I am still at 5-6mm forward from the line and this just seems to put me right on the ski. very quick and agile.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I demoed this ski and immediately bought them. I didn't even haggle....much, which 1) is unusual and 2) I don't think would have helped anyway. Agree with all of the above. I only have 4-5 on-piste days (thin cover in both JH and Aspen) - compared to my FX104's a tthe same length (184) these ski a little shorter (which can be good for me in bumps) but took a few runs to get used to going relatively fast on early AM groomers. They seem lighter and maybe less damp than the Kastle's - (not in a bad way - just different) although I have not weighed them. They are way quicker edge to edge (go figure) and had incredible grip in turns before I thrashed them in less than perfect snow (dirt, gravel, maybe a rock or two - tools not jewels) - quick overnight tune and back to dreamland.

They are somewhere between Aspen and Charlotte as I type - so AA tells me Hope to see them again soon. I miss them.

Reactions: Ron

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Interesting thread, thank you. I demoed the 175cm at Stratton VT couple weeks ago and loved it (my daily driver is 175cm Laser AX), but it felt way too short (I'm 6'1, 185lbs, 40yrs). Must be the rocker. I whish there was a 180 lenght. 184 sounds long - last time I was on a ski over 180 was 20 years ago... But looks like I need to try the 184, sounds like it's ok to size up.

Reactions: Ron

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Interesting thread, thank you. I demoed the 175cm at Stratton VT couple weeks ago and loved it (my daily driver is 175cm Laser AX), but it felt way too short (I'm 6'1, 185lbs, 40yrs). Must be the rocker. I whish there was a 180 lenght. 184 sounds long - last time I was on a ski over 180 was 20 years ago... But looks like I need to try the 184, sounds like it's ok to size up.

Knowing that Stockli was changing their sizing in 2018 I picked up a pair of 2017 StormRider 95s in 183cm last spring. Last year’s sizing was 174, 183, 192. If you can find a pair of the 183cm they might be perfect for you. They’re incredible skis. (I’m 5’10” / 175 lbs). For reference I also have a pair of Laser AX 175cm.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Because of the soft tips Storm Riders are easy to make short turns. 184cm versus 180 is psychological. Apparently the 184 meaures 183cm anyway.
I have th 14-15 Storm Rider 95 in 192cm. Got it because it was cheap. No one wanted 192cm in VT. I'm always surprised how short tuns aren't that bad on this with 21.6 m tr. it's fun to have a longer ski at times.
Soft tips do not a great crud ski make though, so it's a compromise. I prefer slalom skis in slush at Abasin in May.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The tail is kicked up a bit too, so there is that. Not certain how they measure, but does feel shorter than both Fx104 @ 184 and the OG Enforcer @ 185 (obviously) - both w/ "questionable" early rise and a flat tail. Still a great ski. Prolly should have demo'd the 105 @ 186 - but kind of wanted to do a skinnier ski for a while. Time will tell.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Go 184. I also ski the laser ax 175 as my daily driver. I do recommend demoing anf putting the bindings 1-2 clicks forward 3-6mm).

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
They are somewhere between Aspen and Charlotte as I type - so AA tells me Hope to see them again soon. I miss them.

"my precious" has returned to me. BTW, I put them end to end (tails on the floor with the Fx104's (184) - they are maybe a tad longer overall, but the tip has different curve, less turned up at the end, so maybe that accounts for the "shorter" feeling" - but that aren't any shorter and not certain about that "they measure 180", but not going to bother with a tape.

@Ron - do you know what the out of the wrapper tune was/is on these? - I didn't bother to ask - 3/1 or 2/1

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
"my precious" has returned to me. BTW, I put them end to end (tails on the floor with the Fx104's (184) - they are maybe a tad longer overall, but the tip has different curve, less turned up at the end, so maybe that accounts for the "shorter" feeling" - but that aren't any shorter and not certain about that "they measure 180", but not going to bother with a tape.

@Ron - do you know what the out of the wrapper tune was/is on these? - I didn't bother to ask - 3/1 or 2/1

which ski are you saying measures 180? he SR95 (2017) measures 183 as I stated above., I have all new skies prepped and tuned including having the bases checked. I know of no ski that is ready to ski out of the wrapper. I actually am trying a tune that LSS has been playing with with for wider skis a 2:2. So far, I really like it on soft snow.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Because of the soft tips Storm Riders are easy to make short turns. 184cm versus 180 is psychological. Apparently the 184 meaures 183cm anyway.
I have th 14-15 Storm Rider 95 in 192cm. Got it because it was cheap. No one wanted 192cm in VT. I'm always surprised how short tuns aren't that bad on this with 21.6 m tr. it's fun to have a longer ski at times.
Soft tips do not a great crud ski make though, so it's a compromise. I prefer slalom skis in slush at Abasin in May.

which ski are you saying measures 180? he SR95 (2017) measures 183 as I stated above., I have all new skies prepped and tuned including having the bases checked. I know of no ski that is ready to ski out of the wrapper. I actually am trying a tune that LSS has been playing with with for wider skis a 2:2. So far, I really like it on soft snow.

yeah - I was skimming versus actually reading - correct the quote was 183, thought it was 180. so my fault.

on the tune - I just took them for a ride - not certain that the shop spent any time prepping ski, I know that they didn't offer that even as a "pay" add-on when I bought them. They had really good grip and was just typing to determine what they might have come with - I usually do 2/1

Sponsor

Staff online