• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stöckli Laser AX
Dimensions: 123-78-110
Radius: 15.6m@175cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175, 183
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover

Ron: The new AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it is fairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it not for? You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.
  • Insider tip: Demo first to be sure of the mount point; the 175 skis like a 178.

Stöckli Stormrider 83
Dimensions: 126-83-109
Radius: 17.2m@174cm
Sizes: 166, 174, 182
Size tested: 174

FairToMiddlin: The SR 83 is sublime. Few skis combine strength and maneuverability with smoothness as well as this lil’ guy. Yes, you pay a good bit for it, but in return you get a 17.2m ski that tightens up the radius eagerly, yet with a silky feel. It and the SR 88 seem to have this magic ability to give you as much performance as you need with the minimum of effort. I have been enjoying this phenomenon for four years now at SIA, and any time during the test that I feel glum, or unattractive, or not well-liked by my friends, I know I can get on a Stormrider and immediately feel confident, handsome, and popular. I’m being silly, but only a little bit.

This ski is also fairly light. I normally don’t find that to be a good trait for a ski that I ride inbounds, but Stöckli bills this as a touring ski. Skis that go down as well as they go up (on your own power) are rare indeed; scroll to Head’s Kore to see the only other ski in this test that has that combo of loveliness.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who wants the very best feel, and can afford it.
  • Who is it not for? Hmmm. Still thinking ....
  • Insider tip: If the Stormrider 83 is too expensive for you, work harder!

Stöckli Stormrider 88
Dimensions: 12-88-113
Radius: 18m@177cm
Sizes: 168, 177, 186
Size tested: 177

Philpug: Stöckli revised the SR 88 for last season with a new balsa wood construction and by lightening the ski up; it actually made it better without losing the smoothness we have come to expect from the 88. Every time I get on the Stormrider, I am always impressed by just how smooth and refined it is. Where the Kästles are Porsches, Stöcklis ski more like Mercedes.
  • Who is it for? Discriminating skiers, these just ooze refinement.
  • Who is it not for? The uncouth. Skiers who drink their beer from 40-oz'ers out of paper bags.
  • Insider tip: For the same feel but narrower, look to the SR 83.

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 17.2m@175cm
Sizes: 157, 166, 175, 184
Design: New Construction

SBrown: I can’t compare the SR 95 to any previous generations, but apparently it has been stiffened up a bit over the previous version, and the carbon tip inserts removed. Still, I found the tip to be supple in moguls; groomers at speed were silky smooth. Just wow. This length was just fine for me on groomed, but I'm not sure what off piste would be like.
  • Who is it for? Whoever, the performance range seems to be vast.
  • Who is it not for? All of us on a budget.
  • Insider tip: Can’t decide if I like the little tartan graphics or not.
UGASkiDawg: I loved the previous version of this ski in the 183, so I was excited to get out on the new version. I definitely would have preferred the 183 but all they had was the 175. Still, this thing is money. Like all Stöcklis I have been on, it just executes what is asked of it with no fuss. An all-mountain scalpel that is user friendly without any loss of power or precision, the SR 95 has that supple feel that connects you to the mountain. Every time I get on it, I start rethinking my decision to buy the Kästle FX95 HP; this is the only ski to ever come close to doing that. I could have this ski as the holy grail of the one-ski quiver and be perfectly happy in all conditions.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who loves skiing!
  • Who is it not for? People who don’t like paying a premium for a premium ski.
  • Insider tip: Size up!
Women's
Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85
Dimensions: 128-85-110
Radius: 15.2m@167cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175
Size tested: 167

Tricia: Stöckli promises a premium ski, and that is exactly what it delivers with the Stormrider Motion 85 for women. It turns beautifully, carves nicely, and pushes through the crud. There aren’t enough o’s in "smooth" for how this ski feels while it's taking on the mountain.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a premium ski.
  • Who is it not for? The budget-conscious.
  • Insider tip: Don’t try it unless you’re ready to buy it.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Quick question: have the 2018 race models (SL and GS) changed (other than graphics)? Or are they technically the same as previous years?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Two days on the 183 AX in Switzerland convinced me I had to have this ski...and now I do!
Looking forward to this as the ski for conditions I mostly get, rather than conditions I'd like to have.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick question: have the 2018 race models (SL and GS) changed (other than graphics)? Or are they technically the same as previous years?
I can't speak to internal layup, but I believe they extented the edge sidecut up the shovel to create alonger running surface when the (non-fis) Laser GS and SL are on edge, and did the same on the tail of the GS (but not the SL). Not sure about FIS versions.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
If there is one brand I wish I could ski it would definitely be Stockli ( Rossi man ) because you always see them flat on the wall they just seem to look differently , they seem to have a built in suppleness to them , very pleasing to the eye.
I know SJ is REALLY high on them.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stöckli Laser AX
Dimensions: 123-78-110
Radius: 15.6m@175cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175, 183

Ron: The new AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it is fairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it not for? You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.
  • Insider tip: Demo first to be sure of the mount point; the 175 skis like a 178.

Stöckli Stormrider 83
Dimensions: 126-83-109
Radius: 17.2m@174cm
Sizes: 166, 174, 182
Size tested: 174

FairToMiddlin: The SR 83 is sublime. Few skis combine strength and maneuverability with smoothness as well as this lil’ guy. Yes, you pay a good bit for it, but in return you get a 17.2m ski that tightens up the radius eagerly, yet with a silky feel. It and the SR 88 seem to have this magic ability to give you as much performance as you need with the minimum of effort. I have been enjoying this phenomenon for four years now at SIA, and any time during the test that I feel glum, or unattractive, or not well-liked by my friends, I know I can get on a Stormrider and immediately feel confident, handsome, and popular. I’m being silly, but only a little bit.

This ski is also fairly light. I normally don’t find that to be a good trait for a ski that I ride inbounds, but Stöckli bills this as a touring ski. Skis that go down as well as they go up (on your own power) are rare indeed; scroll to Head’s Kore to see the only other ski in this test that has that combo of loveliness.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who wants the very best feel, and can afford it.
  • Who is it not for? Hmmm. Still thinking ....
  • Insider tip: If the Stormrider 83 is too expensive for you, work harder!

Stöckli Stormrider 88
Dimensions: 127/88/113
Radius: 18m@177cm
Sizes: 168, 177, 186
Size tested: 177

Philpug: Stöckli revised the SR88 for last season with a new balsa wood construction and by lightening the ski up it actually made it better without loosing the smoothness we have come to expect from the 88. Everytime I get on the Stormrider, I am always impressed by just how smooth they are and refined. Where the Kästles are Porsches, Stocklis ski more like Mercedes
  • Who is it for? Discriminating skiers, these just ooze refinement
  • Who is it not for? The uncouth. Skiers who drink their beer from 40oz'ers out of paper bags.
  • Insider tip: For the same feel but narrower, look to the SR83

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 17.2@175cm
Sizes: 157, 166, 175, 184
Design: New Construction

SBrown: I can’t compare the SR 95 to any previous generations, but apparently it has been stiffened up a bit over the previous version, and the carbon tip inserts removed. Still, I found the tip to be supple in moguls; groomers at speed were silky smooth. Just wow. This length was just fine for me on groomed, but I'm not sure what off piste would be like.
  • Who is it for? Whoever, the performance range seems to be vast.
  • Who is it not for? All of us on a budget.
  • Insider tip: Can’t decide if I like the little tartan graphics or not.
UGASkiDawg: I loved the previous version of this ski in the 183, so I was excited to get out on the new version. I definitely would have preferred the 183 but all they had was the 175. Still, this thing is money. Like all Stöcklis I have been on, it just executes what is asked of it with no fuss. An all-mountain scalpel that is user friendly without any loss of power or precision, the SR95 has that supple feel that connects you to the mountain. Every time I get on it, I start rethinking my decision to buy the Kästle FX95HP; this is the only ski to ever come close to doing that. I could have this ski as the holy grail of the one-ski quiver and be perfectly happy in all conditions.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who loves skiing!
  • Who is it not for? People who don’t like paying a premium for a premium ski.
  • Insider tip: Size up!
Women's
Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85
Dimensions: 128-85-110
Radius: 15.2m@167cm
Sizes: 159, 167, 175
Size tested: 167

Tricia: Stöckli promises a premium ski, and that is exactly what it delivers with the Stormrider Motion 85 for women. It turns beautifully, carves nicely, and pushes through the crud. There aren’t enough o’s in "smooth" for how this ski feels while it's taking on the mountain.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a premium ski.
  • Who is it not for? The budget-conscious.
  • Insider tip: Don’t try it unless you’re ready to buy it.
I own the 2017 Stormrider Motion 100, which has been discontinued for this year. Wow, what a ski! I cannot compare it to anything else I've ever skied. Mine has the carbon inserts in tip and tail (which I'm grateful for); apparently those things made the manufacturing process a bit difficult which is why Stockli dropped them and instead thinned out the metal in the tip and tail. These skis truly ski ANYTHING, and I got to put them through their paces in powder, chowder, trees, bumps, and groomers in UT and CO. They smear easily, but put them on edge, and hold on for the ride. They need to be driven. They don't make skiing easier, but they make the experience better.

Here in the East, they're great, too..... but I save them for "real" snow since I have other, narrower skis.

I could probably use a few more centimeters in my 174 length, but the skis are so stout that it doesn't really matter. One drawback: You gotta be in shape to hike with them, because they aren't lightweights. But that's not what I got them for. I will own these things as long as I'm still skiing....they are that special of a ski.
IMG_0015.JPG

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm now looking to replace my 180 cm Fischer Motive 95ti's. I keep going back and forth between the Kastle 95, 95HP and the SR 95. I'm 5'8" and about 138lbs and I like the sizing of the 180 cm Motives especially out West. I am usually comfortable on most brand's second from the top sizing. Some reviews state that last year's SR 95 at 183 cm was equivalent to the Motive 95 at 180cm. Any thoughts on sizing for me? 174cm vs 184cm? Also still on the fence about the Kastle 95 vs 95HPin 181cm as I like the metal in the Fischers. I guess I may have to wait and demo this Winter.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@TimF Last years SR95 or '18s ?
At 5'9" and 185 I'm eyeing the '18 175s myself but looking for it in a OSQ application.
At 55 I'm not sure I'm wanting to work the 184 all day everyday for both east and west.
With quotes from above like ....
All mountain scalpel, supple, silky smooth... sign me up.
Think @Philpug is writing the cage match as we speak on the 95HP vs the SR95

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Haven't seen any of last years SR 95's for sale anywhere so I am looking at this years (2018) ski.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I guess looking at the current sizing with the 184 being top dog then the 175 should be my ski. Should be easier to throw around in tight spaces at the shorter length than my Motives at 180

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier

Slaloms may be the same. GS rules changed, so the skis will have changed.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Other than the construction specifics, what are the true on-snow performance and feel differences between the '17 and '18 SR95? Any difference in versatility from the standpoint of conditions or from the standpoint of "approachability"/forgiveness for the merely human among us?

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Other than the construction specifics, what are the true on-snow performance and feel differences between the '17 and '18 SR95? Any difference in versatility from the standpoint of conditions or from the standpoint of "approachability"/forgiveness for the merely human among us?

Yes please tell. Abasin was open today. Who was testing skis on the ribbon of death?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'8" and about 138lbs ... Any thoughts on sizing for me? 174cm vs 184cm?

174. Why buy a ski built for someone in the 60 - 80 percentile (very roughly) by size when you're in the 20 - 40 percentile (very roughly)?

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't think weight determines everything. I'm definitely not the best skier out there but I don't like a ski that will fold up at speed and through junky snow. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the Fischer Motive 95ti in a 174 for bigger mountains. Last year's SR95 183 cm seemed to match up well with the Motive 95 180cm so that's why I'm looking at the SR 184 from for 2018.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Why is 184 the top length? The previous generation was skiing short, so unless the design changed a lot, 184 would not serve the heavier and the most aggressive skiers... That was my only beef with the SR95, 185-187 length would have been perfect.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thoughts on sizing for me? 174cm vs 184cm?

174. Why buy a ski built for someone in the 60 - 80 percentile (very roughly) by size when you're in the 20 - 40 percentile (very roughly)?

Last year's SR95 183 cm seemed to match up well with the Motive 95 180cm so that's why I'm looking at the SR 184 from for 2018.

Okay, so you've actually made up your mind.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes sir, unless I get to try a FX 95HP and like it.

Sponsor

Staff online