• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markcas

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Could anyone please explain the differences between the latest SR95 and SR88. Im thinking of buying one of these but not possible to demo in Vancouver/ Whistler area. I have last years Kastle bmx105 (non HP) 181cm which are great in deeper big mountain snow. I'm looking for good all round hard snow / piste ski that will be also good in trees and bumps.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Could anyone please explain the differences between the latest SR95 and SR88. Im thinking of buying one of these but not possible to demo in Vancouver/ Whistler area. I have last years Kastle bmx105 (non HP) 181cm which are great in deeper big mountain snow. I'm looking for good all round hard snow / piste ski that will be also good in trees and bumps.
Good question. Length runs are different, SR95 157, 166, 175, 184cm. SR 88 168, 177, 186cm.

I wouldn't know what to get, @ 5'6.5" ~140lbs the SR95 175 sounds about right but I already have a 98mm ski I've barely used so don't need a 95mm. I'm not so sure about the SR88 in 177cm and intuitively I think 168cm is too short. My 168cm Kastle BMX88 which I'm looking to replace became too short by the second season using them and definitely by the third. I felt comfortable on my 170cm Volkl 9oeight in trees and bumps but thought they seemed to ski short on the groomes. Also don't know if the current SR88 in 177cm would be too stiff and unforgiving, I'm not ready for a ski tha'll take me for a ride, no bucking broncos please.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
2018 SR 95 in 184 is "take my $ now" good

Demo'd in JH and while I didn't really go everywhere due to thin coverage and no insurance policy. I did ski on early AM groomers off AV and Teton lifts and down skiers right of Laramie bowl and out the traverse under Expert Chutes off Thunder on a few Sublette/Thumder laps. Edge grip was off the charts, in very mixed snow conditions off-piste = unflapable.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2018 SR 95 in 184 is "take my $ now" good

Demo'd in JH and while I didn't really go everywhere due to thin coverage and no insurance policy. I did ski on early AM groomers off AV and Teton lifts and down skiers right of Laramie bowl and out the traverse under Expert Chutes off Thunder on a few Sublette/Thumder laps. Edge grip was off the charts, in very mixed snow conditions off-piste = unflapable.
Nice!

:drool:over a new and unmounted '16/'17 SR88 (unchanged for '17/'18), on fleabay for $600.
Only at 5'6.5" 140lbs, I'm not so sure about the 177cm length given it's a stiff ski with some tip rocker and no tail rocker. Plus I never did a demo to actually find out. My closest comparison would be the Kendo 177cm and 170cm I demoed where I liked the 177cm much better but was clanging the tails into one another in the bumps. Although I am somewhat covered there (bumps and trees), with my 170cm Volkl 90eight...
:doh:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
On a 175 Laser AX (6' 180 lbs.) and am very happy with the results. Amazing edge hold on hard snow and ice. Best ever edge hold in my book. I did go to a 1 and 3 degree bevel after starting with 1 and 2. Much better for me with 3 on the side. Very easy skiing at any speed. Love the turn radius. Allows for quick turns when I need them, but don't get nervous when you let them run. 20 days on them so far in Vermont in all conditions. I am skiing better and more confidently on them vs. old skis (Blizzard Brahma) which I never really liked. Much more fluid, way easier to get on the edge early, allow me to be better balanced and feel the edge through the whole turn. Blizzi's were too one dimensional for me, i.e. ski their way or else. Can't see having a wider ski in this part of the world for everyday skiing. So much easier to get these on edge, and can get better (higher) edge angles than with a wider ski. Have a pair of Kastle TX98's (178) for touring, soft snow and woods.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been on my Head Rally's for much of the season so far in Vermont but switching over to my Stockli Axs when I take then to eastern Quebec this weekend. Spot on with the edge hold and so easy to ski. I do a 1-3 tune on mine also. Glad you are enjoying them.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
New 2018-2019 Stoeckli Laser AX graphics:

upload_2018-3-2_10-20-59.png

Sizes now 154, 161, 168, 175, 182.

Last edited:

Turnoisier

Booting up
Skier
The AX is now sporting something called 'Turtleshell Comfort.' Genuine innovation or has the marketing department been drinking...? I do think it looks nicer than the current model, though!

Phishnerd

Booting up
Skier
On a 175 Laser AX (6' 180 lbs.) and am very happy with the results. Amazing edge hold on hard snow and ice. Best ever edge hold in my book. ... 20 days on them so far in Vermont in all conditions. I am skiing better and more confidently on them vs. old skis.

I’ll echo this. I’m on the 183 (6’2, 250+) and just love them. They really have made me a more confident adv intermediate because of the edge hold and ease of use. Since January I’ve skied then every day except for a demo on Enforcer 100’s — the Stockli’s were nicer on hard NE snow/Ice.

Interested to hear if the raves about the Stormrider 95’s carry over with the spot on easy and forgiving reputation the AX has. Looking for theski in a wider footprint that can have a similar impact in more variable conditions.

@UGASkiDawg @SBrown @Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ll echo this. I’m on the 183 (6’2, 250+) and just love them. They really have made me a more confident adv intermediate because of the edge hold and ease of use. Since January I’ve skied then every day except for a demo on Enforcer 100’s — the Stockli’s were nicer on hard NE snow/Ice.

Interested to hear if the raves about the Stormrider 95’s carry over with the spot on easy and forgiving reputation the AX has. Looking for theski in a wider footprint that can have a similar impact in more variable conditions.

@UGASkiDawg @SBrown @Philpug
The Stormrider is different than the AX but there is still an easy playfulness.

Sponsor

Staff online