• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Olympic Predictions

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Kind of interesting. Our "kids" are either side of thirty, both were "pretty high level" alpine racers. They have many friends dating back to their early teens who have gone on to compete professionally, and at the WC level in every one of these disciplines. EVERY single one. On skis and on snowboards. In the Olympics, at the X games, the Dew tour, blah, blah. I know a lot of them.

And it's impossible for me to keep this stuff straight. Too damn consuming. Slopestyle, freestyle, big air, halfpipe. I can keep skiercross and boarder cross straight. What do they call "alpine" racing on a board? Does that exist? Who governs all of this stuff? That confuses me, too. Seems like ESPN owns the X Games {they do....}. Where does RedBull, Monster, Mountain Dew, etc. fit in.

As somebody who pretty much loves to watch any snow sport or snow competition, and has watch A LOT, it's all over the place. My kids have friends who are and were household names in this stuff....I can't tell you what the correct name of the discipline is.

BTW, many of them refer to their competitions as "contests." Kind of interesting. Every heard of the DH contest at Kitz? Nor have I. Nor does it matter, really.

Somebody above asked about moguls on the NBC network coverage last night. The five men were shown at abut 10:50PM EST. I think the five women were shown at about 9:00PM. Not much coverage. Wanted to watch as we know a few of them.

On the judging thing.......we could get very carried away. OK? Every alpine ski race has the group called a jury. Every race has a referee. And whenever a skier is DQ'd for missing a gate, or a straddle.....it's a judgement call. At least there is video these days to back up the decisions. Was not always that way. You get thrown out for being 0.5mm too high on stand height, and somebody has made that call. Cancelling a race after many have run, but not enough? Ask AJ Kitt about that one.

Karl Schranz certainly maintains that he was screwed with his DQ in the fog almost exactly 50 years ago in the SL at the Grenoble games. Judgement call.

At least we don't seem to have lawsuits over those calls.....like the sailboat racing world has at times.

Back to the games.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Agree Kombi in North America has got to be one of the dumbest events....lets setup GS gates.....but then throw in some SL, so not only are we having athletes run GS in SL skis (and with pole guards), we are also going to ask them to dump piles of speed somewhere in the transition from GS to SL (winner is the one that doesn't dump too much, but also not too little).....and let's have them do this at least a couple times in the run.....
It's stupid as it actually penalizes the fastest and best GS skiers as they have a more difficult time getting the transition right.

My understanding was Kombi was originally designed as a SG/GS combination which makes more sense.....why GS/SL in North America I have NO idea....
Continuing the sub-thread ... the killer is that you can have shin guards and pole guards but no chin bar because of the risk of it catching the GS panels. Luckily no broken teeth this time but the hill they run it on is so shallow that there wasn't much danger of that. There was a hugely offset slalom gate over a roller after a GS section. Figured there would be a bunch of mistakes there as kids got light and didn't have the right line. Turned out that no one could carry enough speed on the flat for it to make any difference at all.

Muleski

Inactive
DH:

3rd training run for men is an 11AM start on 2/10, Korea time and date.

The DH race is scheduled to start on 11AM on 2/11.

We'll see the DH tomorrow night in the USA. Life stream @ 9PM ET

Training tonight, same time.

Women's GS is a day later...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Kinda nice we’ll be able to see most of the Alpine events live during the evening here in the U.S. I am thinking that I will be watching most events on my iPad NBCSN App & avoid the frustration of sitting through hours of events I am not that interested in like curling & figure skating.
This morning I saw repeat shorts of Inerhoffer & Bennett’s 2nd DH training runs. Bode was in the booth & sounded great! 1st training run was announced by the British team.

When is the first Alpine race?
NBCSports app is your friend :)

Muleski

Inactive
NBCSports app doesn't seem to be saving much for replay, or is it my poor navigation?
The live streaming is great......

4ster

Instructor
NBCSports app doesn't seem to be saving much for replay, or is it my poor navigation?
The live streaming is great......
Yeah, I could only find the 2 runs for the 2nd DH training run. The 1st run was available for a solid day then disappeared. I’m hoping for the best but still haven’t totally figured it out. Maybe we’re both poor navigators.
It does look like everything is on the NBC Sports app. As far is I can tell, nothing on Olympic Channel.

NBC sports app might not be so great in Muscat

Where the hell is Muscat? ;)

4ster

Instructor
Well there is not much snow in Utah so I am heading to Jackson Hole but there is NO snow in Oman, although I hear there is some skiing in Dubai. :huh:ogwink Maybe the greens will be steep & slippery.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Apparently Men's Downhill is tonight!
It's Sun 10am Korea, which is 8pm Eastern US.
So, should be live tonight!
I really don't get all the screw ups with them posting the times.

Edit: live stream says 9pm ET.
So, somewhere around then. Good for après on west coast.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
DH postponed due to wind.

Yep. One of the few things they were concerned with. Going to blow for the next few days. They are going to have to deal and juggle with the schedule a bit. Was blowing steadily at 50 mph at the start.

So, we'll see. I hope it dies down, so that the W's GS is not contested in wind, either.

No DH tonight, here, tomorrow there.

Sponsor

Staff online