• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
If memory serves, the Limited is the old 88 in a new graphic — is that right?

Edit:

Nope, to answer my own question. It's 84 at the waist and carbon-laminated. What about shape & camber? More like the old 83?

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If memory serves, the Limited is the old 88 in a new graphic — is that it?
Edit:

Nope, to answer my own question. It's 84 at the waist and carbon-laminated. What about shape & camber? More like the old 83?

Two sheets of carbon laminate added to an MX 84 with a few other tweaks to accommodate the carbon and then there's a different top sheet.. What I'm hearing is it's stronger and smoother than the stock 84t. I haven't heard anyone associate it with the 83 but I haven't been on it.

If I don't like it it'll get sold.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Two sheets of carbon laminate added to an MX 84 with a few other tweaks to accommodate the carbon and then there's a different top sheet.. What I'm hearing is it's stronger and smoother than the stock 84t. I haven't heard anyone associate it with the 83 but I haven't been on it.

If I don't like it it'll get sold.
It is the mold of the 84, not the 83.

3K carbon in the construction
Core is a Poplar/Beech vs. Silver Fir/Beech
Finish is a Cherry Veneer

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I see they've added the MX88 Anniversary (not available in the US, 188 made), which sounds like the MX88 with carbon added (and graphic details). I've been wondering if Kästle planned to keep the old MX mold in use, since some people prefer it to the 89's.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I see they've added the MX88 Anniversary (not available in the US, 188 made), which sounds like the MX88 with carbon added (and graphic details). I've been wondering if Kästle planned to keep the old MX mold in use, since some people prefer it to the 89's.
Only in 168cm and 178cm and only available with a binding for $1,999.00. I haven't talked to anyone that said "OMG, they ruined the MX88 by going to the MX89..I wish they never got rid of the MX88 or were scouring Ebay to stock up on them.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Only in 168cm and 178cm and only available with a binding for $1,999.00. I haven't talked to anyone that said "OMG, they ruined the MX88 by going to the MX89..I wish they never got rid of the MX88 or were scouring Ebay to stock up on them.

I haven't heard "ruined," just "different."

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW one of the best Masters skiers/racers I've been around here (you should see him carve moguls) collected a few pair of MX 88-s out of fear the new ones wouldn't be as good or beefy but then sold them after getting on the 89-s for a while.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
FWIW one of the best Masters skiers/racers I've been around here (you should see him carve moguls) collected a few pair of MX 88-s out of fear the new ones wouldn't be as good or beefy but then sold them after getting on the 89-s for a while.

I liked the 89 I demoed — might have gone for a different length, though, for Northeast mountains.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But if the 89 didn't come out, I would have still been happy on the 88. Again, another reason I had this as a "Once a Decade Ski" it was that good. It is all too often that a manufacturer will change something for the sake change or fix it till it breaks, Kästle truley made a legendary ski better.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I liked the 89 I demoed — might have gone for a different length, though, for Northeast mountains.

It's interesting that the MX 84 offers a 184 but the Limited only in 168 and 176. Maybe that's meaningless. Maybe it means a lot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid