• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Head Wild Joy vs Head Kore 93

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wild Joy vs Kore.png
These two Head skis are literally side by side on the ski wall at a local ski shop, so you wouldn't be surprised to hear the question, "Which is better for me?" Both have Head's Graphene-Koroyd-carbon construction. Both are extremely lightweight. Both are great in a variety of conditions. Both are potentially one-ski quivers.

The Wild Joy has the more traditional shape that we've grown to love in the Joy series, with slight tip rocker that makes you feel like you can conquer the whole mountain, yet still enables you to carve out your signature in those early-morning groomers.

With a bit more tip rocker and a tail that begs to butter, the Kore 93 still has enough camber underfoot to carve nicely and slice through chopped-up snow when conditions aren't perfect.

You really can't go wrong with either, but if you have to choose, I would narrow it down like this: the Wild Joy has a little more of a serious side when there hasn't been fresh snow in a while, and the Kore 93 is slightly more playful and begs to go off-piste.
  • Why choose the Wild Joy? You're looking for an all-mountain ski that does it all but with a frontside bias.
  • Why choose the Kore 93? You're more likely to seek out bumps, chutes, and trees, even though you know you will hit the occasional groomer.
  • Other skis in class: Atomic Vantage 90 CTI W, Blizzard Black Pearl 88, Elan Ripstick 94W, K2 FulLuvit, Nordica Santa Ana 93, Rossignol Temptation 88.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I understand that the Kore comes in a 152?? or approximately that length? For some reason, I thought they were a men's-specific ski.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I understand that the Kore comes in a 152?? or approximately that length? For some reason, I thought they were a men's-specific ski.
Yes, the Kore 93 comes in 153, 162, 171, 180, 189

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Head Kore is a beautiful looking ski. What are the differences in shape? The joy, I assume, is a more traditional cambered ski and the Kore has more tip and tail rocker. Is there anything really different in the tip-tail-waist measurements or geometry of the shapes?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Head Kore is a beautiful looking ski. What are the differences in shape? The joy, I assume, is a more traditional cambered ski and the Kore has more tip and tail rocker. Is there anything really different in the tip-tail-waist measurements or geometry of the shapes?
The Kore 93 - 133/93/115 TR - 16.4
Wild Joy - 139-90-119 TR 14.4

And to answer the rocker question, yes, the Kore has a bit more rocker and a little more playful nature.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Kore 93 - 133/93/115 TR - 16.4
Wild Joy - 139-90-119 TR 14.4

And to answer the rocker question, yes, the Kore has a bit more rocker and a little more playful nature.
Cool thanks. I was wondering at the construction of each and found this site with some more measurements.
Wild Joy Kore 93

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head is one of many manufacturers who has a stated dimension at a stated length, but they scale their skis so a 93 is not a 93 when its in a shorter length.
The 162, for instance is is 127-89-110

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kore 93 head-to-head with Black Pearl 88, since the shorter ones are 89 under foot.
I think I need to get in on that review! ;)

Been venturing into ungroomed and off-piste more and more on the Black Pearl, and it leaves me giggling. I remember the Wild Joy and I did NOT get along in the super dense, crappy snow/rain we were testing in last winter. I'm not technically proficient enough to carve in that crap--I want to smear a lot more.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Been venturing into ungroomed and off-piste more and more on the Black Pearl, and it leaves me giggling. I remember the Wild Joy and I did NOT get along in the super dense, crappy snow/rain we were testing in last winter. I'm not technically proficient enough to carve in that crap--I want to smear a lot more.
Those were challenging conditions, for sure, but my experience on the Wild Joy was different than yours.
As your skills and confidence improve, you'll find skis like this opening up to you a bit more, or you'll open up to them more.
^^^This is why we have advancing intermediate reviewers.

Kore 93 head-to-head with Black Pearl 88, since the shorter ones are 89 under foot.
I think I need to get in on that review! ;)
We'll make sure to get you on a pair of the 93's if they have the shorter lengths.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One of the differences between Kore 93 and Wild Joy is Kore 93 has rocker tip and tail, while Wild Joy has rocker tip and cambered tail. I have yet to compare flex differences.

I have a female friend who is looking for new skis this season so I plan to have her try both skis as well as Elan Ripstik 94 and Head Total Joy.

I also plan on taking a Wild Joy out for a few runs...once our current -18*C/0*F cold snap abates.;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Those were challenging conditions, for sure, but my experience on the Wild Joy was different than yours.
As your skills and confidence improve, you'll find skis like this opening up to you a bit more, or you'll open up to them more.
^^^This is why we have advancing intermediate reviewers.

We'll make sure to get you on a pair of the 93's if they have the shorter lengths.
I know, I remember that run very. I didn't even get them off the bunny hill. I could tell I was going to struggle with them. I also remember that you loved them!
I'll have to see if they have the 93s in the demo fleet on the hill. Maybe I'll take a weekday with good snow and go get on a few.

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
A quick Wild Joy review for you...

I purchased the new Head Wild Joy, never having skied it, and absolutely love it! I needed a one-ski traveler, desiring frontside performance and all mountain versatility. I've skied the Wild Joy 15 days this season, mostly on firm snow, and absolutely love it.

Love:
carving performance (skis much narrower than it is)
quickness (wow... feels like an 80mm ski from edge to edge)
stability at speed (has got to be best in class for any women's ski, carver or all-mountain)
edge grip (solid for a 90mm ski, for even an 80mm ski)
float (the tip is huge, despite prowess on piste, floats like a wider ski off piste)
true all-mountain versatility (performs with the best on piste and versatile off piste)
lightweight (super light in both weight and feel, especially considering it's power)
no knee strain on firm snow (unusual for a wide all-mountain carver)
best of the Joy Series for heavier women (I own a Head Super Joy too and prefer the Wild Joy, when my weight is over 150lbs)
lots of fun!

Caution:
power (despite it's quickness and light feel, this is an aggressive ski)
skidding (because of the very aggressive sidecut, this ski requires attention and skill to skid it effectively)
don't upsize (has less tip and tail rocker than many at this width and thus will ski true to size, similar to an all-mountain carver)
experts only (recommend this ski for those skilled skiers that can progressively engage the ski from tip to tail and on an early, high edge)

I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience with the Wild Joy or other skis in the Head Joy Series!

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
One of the differences between Kore 93 and Wild Joy is Kore 93 has rocker tip and tail, while Wild Joy has rocker tip and cambered tail.

While the tail on the Wild Joy indeed holds and engages like a typical carver, it also releases more smoothly than a traditional, cambered ski. This reduces knee strain, often experienced in wider all-mountain carvers.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A quick Wild Joy review for you...

I purchased the new Head Wild Joy, never having skied it, and absolutely love it! I needed a one-ski traveler, desiring frontside performance and all mountain versatility. I've skied the Wild Joy 15 days this season, mostly on firm snow, and absolutely love it.

Love:
carving performance (skis much narrower than it is)
quickness (wow... feels like an 80mm ski from edge to edge)
stability at speed (has got to be best in class for any women's ski, carver or all-mountain)
edge grip (solid for a 90mm ski, for even an 80mm ski)
float (the tip is huge, despite prowess on piste, floats like a wider ski off piste)
true all-mountain versatility (performs with the best on piste and versatile off piste)
lightweight (super light in both weight and feel, especially considering it's power)
no knee strain on firm snow (unusual for a wide all-mountain carver)
best of the Joy Series for heavier women (I own a Head Super Joy too and prefer the Wild Joy, when my weight is over 150lbs)
lots of fun!

Caution:
power (despite it's quickness and light feel, this is an aggressive ski)
skidding (because of the very aggressive sidecut, this ski requires attention and skill to skid it effectively)
don't upsize (has less tip and tail rocker than many at this width and thus will ski true to size, similar to an all-mountain carver)
experts only (recommend this ski for those skilled skiers that can progressively engage the ski from tip to tail and on an early, high edge)

I'm happy to answer any questions about my experience with the Wild Joy or other skis in the Head Joy Series!
Thanks for the review! Have you skied the Great Joy? How would you compare the Wild Joy to the Great Joy ? I have the Great Joy, and am considering something narrower, but are they different enough that that would make sense?

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
I remember the Wild Joy and I did NOT get along in the super dense, crappy snow/rain we were testing in last winter. I'm not technically proficient enough to carve in that crap--I want to smear a lot more.

This is a really important point for prospective buyers to understand. To enjoy the Wild Joy, you need to be a technically proficient skier with strong edge engagement skills, in all terrain. The entire Joy Series is difficult to skid (due to aggressive sidecut) and one of the reasons why I recommend them for expert skiers only. Their quickness and light feel can be incorrectly interpreted as being a forgiving or progressing ski. While folks might get away with the ski at lesser skill on hero snow, the ski design will get them in more challenging conditions.

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
Have you skied the Great Joy?

I have not skied the Great Joy, but I have owned other Joy Series skis. The Wild Joy is a tremendously balanced ski and is truly effective in any snow condition... it's far better in any condition than the Total Joy. It's quite a bit stronger and yet effectively balanced, so a skilled skier can skid it effectively on any terrain and in any condition. I had found the Total Joy a nuisance to skid off piste. If you find a similar experience with the Great Joy, you may really prefer the Wild Joy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great feedback, Susie! Funny, I have days where I do great on the Super Joy, and others that I don't. Now I think I know why...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not skied the Great Joy, but I have owned other Joy Series skis. The Wild Joy is a tremendously balanced ski and is truly effective in any snow condition... it's far better in any condition than the Total Joy. It's quite a bit stronger and yet effectively balanced, so a skilled skier can skid it effectively on any terrain and in any condition. I had found the Total Joy a nuisance to skid off piste. If you find a similar experience with the Great Joy, you may really prefer the Wild Joy.
The Great Joy is a little wider than the Wild Joy, so I think it's designed to be better off-piste. But this is supposed to be about Wild Joy vs. Kore, so oops.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid