• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Head Rally Question

Lance

Booting up
Skier
I’m not sure if this is a discussion for the ski school or the gear section, but here it goes: when I’m skiing my 2018 Head Rallys, I’m having a difficult time getting the tips to hook up and arc a turn. Instead I just end up skidding through my turns. Everything I’ve read about these skis indicates that they just rip across the fall line with the slightest edge tip, but that just has not been my experience. So I’m wondering if this is due to technique, tune, or maybe mount point?

I generally don’t have any issue bending a ski including my 2018 Brahmas and I’ve skied other stiff skis about the same size (170cm) without skidding. The tune on the Rallys is factory and the mount point for the PRD 12s is on the recommended line. I had Cal Ski company in Berkeley mount the bindings and they didn't believe the skis needed a tune out of the box.

I’m 5’9” 165 lbs and skiing in the lake Tahoe area. I’m generally a pretty aggressive skier and normally I’d say an advanced skier, but these Rallys are making me question that.

I appreciate any input you all have. Thanks!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check the tune first even if CSC didn't believe it needed it . It's not uncommon for skis to come out of the wrapper with a less than stellar tune. What length Rallys do you have?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Prior to getting my Rallys, I had been on longer all-mountain skis with longer turn radius. It definitely took me a few runs to figure out my Rallys. Turn initiation is different, requiring less energy/aggressiveness.

To help me figure them out, I did the same initial routine I use when trying demo skis:

I go to a moderate pitch blue groomer and then do some runs straight down the fall line and execute shallow elongated carves (BTW: this hopefully takes skidding out of the equation). This lets me get the edge feel and figure out the sweet spot. In subsequent runs (on the same slope) I'll progressively adjust turn shape towards a more "C" shape. During the process I'm also adjusting my technique (stance, COM, pressure application in the turn, etc) to find the sweet spot for the skis. After a few runs I get a general clue about the skis carving personality - what works, what doesn't.

My Rallys definitely don't need (or like) aggressive initiation or unweighting to start a carve. And they do have an envelope they prefer for initiation and turn shape. Go outside the envelope and they can skid/chatter. They do really like being skied down the fall line.

TS
Lance

Lance

Booting up
Skier
Check the tune first even if CSC didn't believe it needed it . It's not uncommon for skis to come out of the wrapper with a less than stellar tune. What length Rallys do you have?

TS
Lance

Lance

Booting up
Skier
Prior to getting my Rallys, I had been on longer all-mountain skis with longer turn radius. It definitely took me a few runs to figure out my Rallys. Turn initiation is different, requiring less energy/aggressiveness.

To help me figure them out, I did the same initial routine I use when trying demo skis:

I go to a moderate pitch blue groomer and then do some runs straight down the fall line and execute shallow elongated carves (BTW: this hopefully takes skidding out of the equation). This lets me get the edge feel and figure out the sweet spot. In subsequent runs (on the same slope) I'll progressively adjust turn shape towards a more "C" shape. During the process I'm also adjusting my technique (stance, COM, pressure application in the turn, etc) to find the sweet spot for the skis. After a few runs I get a general clue about the skis carving personality - what works, what doesn't.

My Rallys definitely don't need (or like) aggressive initiation or unweighting to start a carve. And they do have an envelope they prefer for initiation and turn shape. Go outside the envelope and they can skid/chatter. They do really like being skied down the fall line.
Thanks, I'll try this next time. Perhaps I'm trying to force them into the turn I want and I'm missing the sweet spot.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well has the very front edge of the ski been dulled? Use your finger to test and a magnifying glass to look. I've seen a Kastle Mx83 ruined by a shop doing this. It would still carve though.

Good initial runs with a ski- If you have flat terrain leading to the lift just put the ski on edge and see how it turns. Do a one footed railroad track, see how long it takes to do an arc and when you have to transition to the new turn before running out of space. Then do a two footed if you can.
Do some slidey things. If it can't slide it's the tune. Could be a hanging burr or a more complex problem. A stone in your pocket could take care of a burr.

Realize that the most aggressive race tune, say .3/4, can slide just fine. If it doesn't slide, it's not the angles per se.

Last edited:
TS
Lance

Lance

Booting up
Skier
Well has the very front wdge of the ski been dulled? Use your finger to test and a magnifying glass to look. I've seen a Kastle Mx83 ruined by a shop doing this. It would still carve though.

Good initial runs with a ski- If you have flat terrain leading to the lift just put the ski on edge and see how it turns. Do a one footed railroad track, see how long it takes to do an arc and when you have to transition to the new turn before running out of space. Then do a two footed if you can.
Do some slidey things. If it can't slide it's the tune. Could be a hanging burr or a more complex problem. A stone in your pocket could take care of a burr.

Realize that the most aggressive race tune, say .3/4, can slide just fine. If it doesn't slide, it's not the angles per se.
Thanks for the input. I don't think it's the tune. Not to say they couldn't use a better tune, but I'm guessing I'm just not finding the sweet spot of the ski yet. I'll mess with the mount point and try some of the suggested drills to get a feel for the natural arc of this ski. I can force the Brahma into the turn shape I want, and I figured I could do the same with the Rallys, but perhaps not.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't own Rallys but I've demoed them. Last time was this past December. I felt immediately comfortable on them and had no trouble getting them to carve on typical firm Killington conditions. Since you don't claim to having similar issues with your Brahmas, something is going on.

TS
Lance

Lance

Booting up
Skier
I don't own Rallys but I've demoed them. Last time was this past December. I felt immediately comfortable on them and had no trouble getting them to carve on typical firm Killington conditions. Since you don't claim to having similar issues with your Brahmas, something is going on.
I just looked at a photo my wife took of me skiing on our last trip (it's blurry so I won't bother posting) and the Rallys are on edge and they are bent. So maybe I am carving them more effectively than I think and I'm just not loving the turn shape thus far, or perhaps I'm letting the tails slide out at the end of the turn. Seems unlikely with the flared tails on these things, but it's possible.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If it's not the tune, it could be that you are skiing faster than the skis were designed and trying to make a longer (bigger radius) turn than the skis were designed for. Try carving a slower speed turn on a green run, and let us know what happens.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
In case anyone is still following this...the issue was a hanging burr on the inside edge of one of the skis.

That was the exact issue I had with my Dynastar SL skis. Once I had them retuned by my usual shop I fell in love with the skis again. Glad your mystery is solved and your skis are all better.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In case anyone is still following this...the issue was a hanging burr on the inside edge of one of the skis.
My Rally skis are a little older than yours and you solved your issue but it doesn't mean you can't still play around with your mounting location. I have moved mine forward one or two notches and they ski different than the first time on the original mount spot. It is so much fun to ski with the forward position.