• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Head Kore 93 vs 2018 Head Monster 88

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is the first of many cage matches this season, so let's get going! Head is hitting on all cylinders at this point; I don’t think there is a hole in the lineup -- and if there was one, the new Kore collection has filled it. Head is not rebuilding; it is reloading.

Monster 88 vs. Kore 93.png
*Kore is pictured with optional Attack binding

Let's start with the established ski, the Monster 88. First, this is not the old Monster 88 from the 2000s; it is a newer evolution of the recent-generation Monster that was introduced two short seasons ago. Just two years and they are already changing it? Say it isn’t so; why fix something that isn’t broken? Slow down, Hot Rod, take a breath. Are the New England Patriots successful year after year because they wait until an athlete is too old? No, they are constantly moving forward, staying ahead of the curve. The new Monster 88 is such an example. Head sent the very good Monster 88 (and 83) to finishing school so that more skiers would be able to obtain the energy of the ski. Don’t worry, Head didn't neuter the ski at all; it just made it smoother and lowered the minimum speed limit without losing what we liked about this reference ski in the category.

The Kore 93 is a glimpse into Head's future in ski building. The ski is all new, not an evolution of anything Head has produced before. It is light and playful yet displays a stability rarely found in such a ski design. Head was adamant about keeping the weight down without losing substance, and it achieved this goal in spades. We are looking forward to getting some more time on this ski, but we have seen nothing to show that this will not be another winner.
  • Why choose the Monster 88? Power; you want a frontside-biased charger. You stay more on the groomers and like to make high-speed turns. You have not met a speed that you were not comfortable with.
  • Why choose the Kore 93? You like to play, you venture off-piste a bit, and you look for bumps. You might even mount up some AT bindings on these; because of their light weight, they will be great on the ascent, too!

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I've spent a day on the Core 93, no time on the 88 but plenty of time on the Monster 98. It took very little time to get comfortable on the Core. Firm spring snow in the morning softened up later. These skis are light but they will charge just fine, I loved the feel on east wall, west wall, groomers. I hope to spend some more time on these as well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
An 88 and a Kore 105 would be a nice two ski quiver.

(And it'll be 2/3rds of this season's... iSpeed Pro, M88, K105 ogsmile )

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An 88 and a Kore 105 would be a nice two ski quiver.

This has crossed my mind more than a few times.....

@Philpug laid out the differences pretty nicely, though he did miss the key fact of the Monster being RED!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First day at the shop today for the 2017-2018 season. Got my "area" organized and set up after a long summer......

Headed over to my installs for the day, and guess what I grabbed first...

On my table, the Head Kore 93 gets the 1st install of the 2017-2018 season....:drool:

IMG_0582.JPG

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First day at the shop today for the 2017-2018 season. Got my "area" organized and set up after a long summer......

Headed over to my installs for the day, and guess what I grabbed first...

On my table, the Head Kore 93 gets the 1st install of the 2017-2018 season....:drool:

View attachment 29617
We need to get you some stickers

Reactions: BC.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
We had a size run in the shop. They're gone. More in the warehouse and on the way.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Easy answer.
Both
Jeff,
Not a bad answer, the two really could coexist in the same quiver. But as @markojp said, for a 2 ski Quiver it would be hard to argue against the Monster 88 and the Kore 93's big brother, the Kore 105.

Sponsor

Staff online