• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Head Kore 117 (189cm)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Ski tested: 2018 Head Kore 117 (189 length, 117 mm underfoot, turn radius ca. 24m.

One sentence review: This ski will defy your expectations; yet it nails the “resort powder ski formula”.
Kore 117.jpg

First, thanks to BlueZone Sports in Truckee for a chance to take out their demo pair. For the past 7-8 years my powder ski was the original DPS Wailer 112rp, which along with the Rossi S7, defined the resort powder category in its day. An ideal “resort powder” ski should excel in untracked powder, but still hold its mettle when resort slopes get cut up. Lately the “powder” phase at Squaw rarely lasts beyond the first 45 minutes, so the “resort” part of the performance has become a critical component. This shift, coupled with the graceful aging of the Wailers, made me look for a new powder ski.

This is what I want from my powder ski:
  1. Good float. First tracks at Squaw are a treat that you have to fight for, so you need all the help you can get to stay afloat and ahead of the guy who is breathing down your neck.
  2. Decently light weight. No matter how well you plan, you still have to occasionally throw your skis sideways in the trees of in crud. Di it a few more times with a heavy ski and you get tired and will be forced to retire at lunch.
  3. Stability and dampness. That has to do with skiing past those golden 45 minutes.
Enter the Kore 117. I was intrigued by the positive reviews of this ski, but a hand flex in the store early in the season convinced me that it was not for me. See, I don’t like still powder skis. Yet, somehow I was intrigued enough by the buzz to get on them.

Design and shape. This is critical for understanding how this ski works. First the design has a pretty substantial shovel with a very gradual tapered tip, with surprisingly moderate amount of splay. The tail in contrast does not have much taper at all and only very moderate amount of splay. This geometry has a very interesting effect in that it places you relatively close to the center of the ski on firm surface and as snow get deeper and more of the shovel starts to engage, the effective mounting point shifts backwards, increasing the float. The top sheets are minimalist, and downright classy. Well-done Head.

Flex and weight. Much has been said about his stiff this ski is. There is no denying that, it flexes pretty burly, but the flex is even.
The ski is light, even with demo bindings. It is not quite close to the DPS Pure construction, but it feels approaching that territory.

Skiing impressions. I actually tested the ski at Mammoth, so the snow was a mix of wind buffed snow, groomers and about boot-deep fresh powder that became cut up in due course. This is where surprises started. First of all, the ski is very well damped for not having any metal and for bing this light. It is not as dead-quiet as my Kastle HP, but not many skis are. Second, they are very well behaved on there groomers. The edge hold is very decent, and the edging is quite quick for a 117mm ski. The only element where they are substandard are dynamic carving turns where you are trying to actively drive the shovel into the turn. The short effective shovel up front and stiff flex work again you in this situation. Steer from the center by tipping the skis rather than than pressuring the shovels works much better. In cut-up snow 117 width glides over the small stuff, and the stiff flex allows it to punch through where it needs to punch. My Wailers always feel like they have a relatively short wheelbase in crud, the Heads feel that they ski their length. Powder is no surprises, any 117mm ski will float well, but light weight and the aforementioned tip-tail taper asymmetry combine to work better than average. DPS W1122RP always wants to bang out short powder turns, I feel that the Heads like to run a bit wider. I didn’t do any real glade skiing, but in whatever tree tracks I had on that day the Heads felt quick enough. Steeps: Again, Kore 117 skis its true length, which is an asset in steep terrain. Light weight coupled with long wheelbase feels very secure and yet nimble enough to feel confident. I was afraid that with this steep flex they will be hard to turn, but I found them quiet easy, even skiing steep-ish chutes at Mammoth. I didn’t get into really tight terrain like you would get into at Squaw, but overall, I had a blast. I still think Wailers will be a bit easier in really tight spaces, just because of the huge amount of tip-tail rocker they have.

Compared to Wailer 112rp. The key difference with the W112RP was that on that ski I always bring a second pair of all-mountain skis and usually switch to them by 11am. I can ski the Kore all day, long after all powder is cut up, so it lives up to the “resort powder” classification. Another different is that Wailers wants to bang out as many powder turns as they can. Kores are much more neutral and prefer medium radius turns, subtly encouraging you too go faster. At the same time, they don’t lock you into one radius, I was able to ski asymmetric turns to drift across the slope very naturally. Both the Wailer and Kore are very well balanced skis (unlike the Rossi Super 7 series which has floppy tips and tails connected to relatively stiff body, making it ski for me like a short plank with floppy wings). If it makes any sense, Wailers skis powder like a slalom ski, and Kore feel more “GS-sy”. In powder, Wailers plane primarily from their shape, the tip splay is so large and soft enough that it pulls you up (and into the turn) almost immediately, Kore floats primarily from the mounting point. That trait of the Kore reminds me of a ski I once had and liked a lot, the Dynastar Huge Trouble. Keep in mind that even with this trait, Kore is not a pintail design, the tail is there, and it is very functional.

Mounting point. Much has been said about the mounting point of the Kore series. Blister reviewers recommend mounting at +1, the Blue Zone demo pair was mounted at -1 (to my surprise, but I since heard that Phil recommends Kores at -1). Luckily, the demo binding allowed me to play with mounting point a bit. I don’t think -1 makes a lot of sense unless you ski only deep powder day after day. +1 mount is interesting. It makes the skis much much quicker and shorter in feel. The turn initiation becomes pretty intuitive. However there was a run where I tried to chase someone who is a ripping good skier over a nice wind-packed powder field and I felt that I was going "over the handlebars". Even though it was arguably a tough test because the snow was not deep enough to engage the full shovels, this is something I would never want to feel in my powder ski, so I moved the binding back a click to the "recommended" position and never looked back. Keep in mind that at 27.5 mondo I am right in the middle of the typical boot sole length for that rage of length in skis, so I tend to end up on the “recommended” line for most of the skis.

Bottom line: I purchased a pair off Kore 117 in 189 and I am mounting it at the recommended line. It will be my new powder end of the quiver.

Here is Kore in its native environment:
IMG_0841.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice review. I hear Head is adding material to some of their Kores and increasing the weight. Not sure if they are modifying the 117 width. The light weight impresses me a lot.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great review--I had a chance to pick up a pair really cheap about a month ago and am still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A few more thoughts after skiing the Kores in totally unsuitable conditions, early spring ice and firm crud. It can hold its own but it is not my FX95HP by any means. It skis like a 120 mm long stiffish ski, a lot of torque on the knees and back. It's surprising that Pivots transmit a lot more snow feel than demo Aatacks.

Last edited:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
The pair I was referring to was at Level 9 in SLC and they were new. They are gone now. The stupid thing is that I ad skied the Kore 93 and 105 at a demo day last year and really liked them so I had a pretty good idea what they would be like.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
My 112RPs are an older generation that had more tip and tail rocker but less tail taper than the current shape. I think Hybrid construction of that generation is roughly equal to today's Foundation. A better cage match will be with the Wailer 112 RPC ( I'm actually not sure that ski is even current). I was actually eyeing the DPS Lotus A124 spoon, but could not stomach the "comma-level" price. I reserve that category for my everyday skis;-).

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
My 112RPs are an older generation that had more tip and tail rocker but less tail taper than the current shape. I think Hybrid construction of that generation is roughly equal to today's Foundation. A better cage match will be with the Wailer 112 RPC ( I'm actually not sure that ski is even current). I was actually eyeing the DPS Lotus A124 spoon, but could not stomach the "comma-level" price. I reserve that category for my everyday skis;-).

Curious about the 124 lotus also.
I'm a big fan of the spoon tip on directional big mtn/deep day skis. This is my deep day ski. Same sort of surfy shape at a more stomachable price. He sent me a 50% off custom email code last week . As long as you don't get to crazy with the upgrades you can walk away with an bomber set of planks at a totally reasonable $$. The new wood graphics are pretty awesome

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-skis/ullr-custom/

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Me too, plus my choice of a pair of skis to demo for the week. Keith is truly amazing.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I spent Wednesday afternoon on the 189 Kore 117 slaying the pow pow at Monarch Cat Skiing. I found the Kore well-suited to the 18-24 inches of snow we skied. The float was as expected and the skis handled easily. The weight to strength of the Kore series of skis is simply amazing. The way the Kore 117 handled the little bit of crusted snow was excellent. The ski stayed on top well but had the backbone to plow through when needed. The tip and tail really shined in the trees and chutes with great initiation and release. The Kore was strong when needed but not demanding of constant attention. I liked the ability to surf, slarve and carve on demand. I did feel the mount point was a bit forward. I moved the Attack demo bindings back a click and the ski became much more lively and enjoyable. I’ve skied every ski in the Kore series now and could own all of them. I hope Head keeps going forward with the Kores as all the models have proven to be reliable, predictable, enjoyable rides.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Some impressions on my Kore 117 from a powder day at Squaw last Monday. Awesome ski, floats well, turns predictably, easy to ski, has oomph when I needed that, super-reliable in deep and cut-up snow, very serviceable even on a groomer. Tight trees was where you start noticing the size of the ski a little bit, a Wailer 112 is quicker in that terrain. So for a powder ski that handle anything from Alaska steeps to Squaw trees to Squaw by the end of a powder day, Kore 117 is amazing. I am really glad I made that call.

604Sean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'd like to know what the Kore 117 is like vs both a true pow ski (like the Atomic Backland FR 117) and a stiffer charger like a Volkl Confession or Blizzard Cochise.....thoughts? I know the Kore is both light and stiff (which seems odd), but if you had to choose, better as a pow ski or charger?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd like to know what the Kore 117 is like vs both a true pow ski (like the Atomic Backland FR 117) and a stiffer charger like a Volkl Confession or Blizzard Cochise.....thoughts? I know the Kore is both light and stiff (which seems odd), but if you had to choose, better as a pow ski or charger?

Or split the difference on a playful charger like the Moment Wildcat. Stiff underfoot but more playful tip/tail that is about the same weight as the Kore and many other skis that are just okay in crud or on groomers yet the Wildcat crushes crud and groomers. Very stable at speed yet can pivot very well at low speed. The Moment Bibby and it’s updated Wildcat version is a “must try” in this width range.

Heavier Charger like the Confession or the old Monster 108 are great for high speed crud busting but are more tiring to ski and only great at higher speeds. Volkl Revolt 121 is a more fun freestyle powder ski that still isn’t a lightweight but more playful than previous Volkl powder skis.

“Pure powder skis” like some versions of the Backland or other superlight wide skis are great for untracked powder but get thrown around in tracked up powder or crud. Like the heavy charger skis, aren’t as versatile for skiing the whole day.

The Kores split the difference as they are light but still okay in crud. Light and Easy to ski but aren’t TOO light. Pretty versatile ski.

Skis like the Moment Wildcat, Black Crows Anima, Nordica Enforcer 110 and Blizzard Rustler 11 would all be great playful charger type skis that are a bit heavier then the super light skis but not as heavy as the Chargers yet are still great through crud.

604Sean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Or split the difference on a playful charger like the Moment Wildcat. Stiff underfoot but more playful tip/tail that is about the same weight as the Kore and many other skis that are just okay in crud or on groomers yet the Wildcat crushes crud and groomers. Very stable at speed yet can pivot very well at low speed. The Moment Bibby and it’s updated Wildcat version is a “must try” in this width range.

Heavier Charger like the Confession or the old Monster 108 are great for high speed crud busting but are more tiring to ski and only great at higher speeds. Volkl Revolt 121 is a more fun freestyle powder ski that still isn’t a lightweight but more playful than previous Volkl powder skis.

“Pure powder skis” like some versions of the Backland or other superlight wide skis are great for untracked powder but get thrown around in tracked up powder or crud. Like the heavy charger skis, aren’t as versatile for skiing the whole day.

The Kores split the difference as they are light but still okay in crud. Light and Easy to ski but aren’t TOO light. Pretty versatile ski.

Skis like the Moment Wildcat, Black Crows Anima, Nordica Enforcer 110 and Blizzard Rustler 11 would all be great playful charger type skis that are a bit heavier then the super light skis but not as heavy as the Chargers yet are still great through crud.

I'd like to look more closely at the Moment's, but I can't find a place in the Lower Mainland (BC) that sells them at all.....very hard find. I might have updated my thoughts a bit and am also considering the Blizzard Bonafide and Volkl Mantra M5.....but again, if I can find those Wildcat's, those would be a contender too. Thanks for the info:)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd like to look more closely at the Moment's, but I can't find a place in the Lower Mainland (BC) that sells them at all.....very hard find. I might have updated my thoughts a bit and am also considering the Blizzard Bonafide and Volkl Mantra M5.....but again, if I can find those Wildcat's, those would be a contender too. Thanks for the info:)

Bonifide is easier to handle than the Cochise and more friendly than it used to be, so a narrower charger type ski that can be playful. Mantra M5 a similar ski as well that’s damp and stable but not a “tiring” ski.

The Enforcer line as well as the K2 Mindbender 99Ti would also be great skis that are a little more playful than the Bonifide or M5 but can still rip crud. All great skis in that “around 100mm” range.

Moment’s forte is wider skis but they would have the Commander 98 in this range which hauls. Know there’s dealers in the Calgary area for them but not sure about BC.

All Blizzard, Nordica and Enforcer skis will be blown out in Spring sales starting next week. We actually pay far less for most skis in Canada that aren’t made in the States like Moment.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@604Sean i think you are confused. Bonafide and M5 are all mountain everyday skis that are suboptimal in powder. You buy something like a Kore 117 in addition to a Bonafide-like ski.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Alexzn So it's a year after your initial review. Any updated thoughts? I think you may recall I have the original 112RP so I found your comparison info quite helpful. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Kore 117 or the Enforcer Pro 115.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Noodler I am still very happy that I bought the Kore 117s, and this year I had quite a few powder days on them (in addition to an Alaska heli trip last spring). I think Head nailed the combination of the shape and stiffness that makes this ski quite a bit more versatile than you would think.Its one of the best resort powder skis on the market for sure, if not the best. And the key to make a stiffish wide ski sing in powder is the light weight.

I was also looking at the Enforcer Pro 115, but that skis is much heavier, so it would ski more like Volkl Confession, which a lot of people characterize as not quick and playful enough and more of a big mountain ski. Wailer 112RP is much more of a pure powder ski and I started finding a speed limit for them even in powder. I'd still say that the Wailer has an advantage only in tight trees and powder where you want/need to milk the maximum number of turns. Anything else, Kore wins with a wide margin. Original Wailer is still unbeatable in my opinion as a gateway to powder skiing, it is the best ski for someone who either does not know of is afraid of skiing powder becuase it provides a totally automatic turn. But at this point that is not your goal.

First caveat: another disadvantage of the Kore that I have to mention is that the top sheets are fragile, I already had to epoxy a small piece of the top sheet at one of the tails. Purely cosmetic, but worth mentioning.

Final caveat: I ski mostly maritime snowpack, and you are in Colorado where the snow is lighter and fluffier.

Sponsor

Staff online