• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Formula 1

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

"Sebastian Vettel fully deserved penalty for Hamilton incident." - Nico Rosberg

"I've been at odds with the Formula 1 stewards before - both during my career and after it - but this time I'm in complete agreement. Sebastian Vettel deserved his five-second penalty in the Canadian Grand Prix." - Jolyon Palmer

And, you never know who else may have been a driver. ogwink

Under the current rules / regulations / racing code, what took place is not allowed and thus needs to be addressed (5 second penalty). No rational person would argue this - that Sebastian broke the rules - intentionally or unintentionally. The rules are very, very clear. F1 does a great job of wording their rules so that the issue is black or white, binary - leaving very little room for subjectivity or doubt.

Another matter is whether some parts of the current rules / regulations / racing code need to be changed in some way. On this latter matter, it seems most people agree that some sections indeed need to be changed, including sections that relate to a driver coming back onto the track (there are other sections even more debatable/contentious among the drivers).

I for one would agree with changes to the rules that would prevent something like what happened last weekend to happen again. But, that does not mean that under the current rules / regulations / racing code that what did take place last weekend was not subject to a penalty. It clearly was, which is why the race marshals handed down the 5 second penalty to Sebastian (as they have done in similar situations in the past to other drivers - this is by no means the first time - Sebastian is by no means the only one).

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/2...ian-vettel-lewis-hamilton-and-f1s-controversy

"The geography of the track layout is all important here.

The T3/4 chicane in Montreal is unsighted, bumpy, slippery, downhill and effectively feeds into a narrow tunnel. The run-off area is rough grass, and Vettel was either going to end up back on the narrow track at some kind of angle, or in a heap against the wall."

Here is the non-call between HAM and RIC from 2016. I don't know what the Italian guy is saying, maybe he thinks it deserves a penalty.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jolyon Palmer? Your argument would be stronger with just Rosberg. ogsmile

Hey, don't go putting down Jolyn - at least he has some F1 points, more than most of the other so called "experts" can say.

There is no argument. A rule was broken, a penalty was handed.The rules are clear and the rules were clearly broken.

Should the rules change? IMO, absolutely. But that is another subject all together, one which folks do not seem to appreciate (and one which btw does not absolve Sebastian as he was very much aware of the rules - stupid/unfair as they may be).

Frankly there is no need to quote "experts" or keep this thread going and going and going around in circles.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
\There is no argument. A rule was broken, a penalty was handed.The rules are clear and the rules were clearly broken.

This is all true, and I have to say, I think Ferrari is wasting their time with the appeal. Apparently there is no appeal. They will be denied outright and then we can be indignant again. Or, the appeal is accepted and then you can be indignant. I guess that's the only reason for them to appeal, more indignation.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is all true, and I have to say, I think Ferrari is wasting their time with the appeal. Apparently there is no appeal. They will be denied outright and then we can be indignant again. Or, the appeal is accepted and then you can be indignant. I guess that's the only reason for them to appeal, more indignation.

You touch on the point that I thought about a lot - and likely a lot of other people did as well. That is the way Seb behaved after the race. It almost makes you feel like he deserved the 5 seconds just for his "antics" alone. Credit to him for how he interacted with Lewis, but the rest he should know better, including his non-stop bitching while driving instead of focusing on trying to gain the 5 seconds (more so when he makes $40M in base salary)

As for Ferrari, feels like the entire team is a bit of a mess. Certainly when it comes to Charles. The kid is just amazing. Ridiculous talent.Yet they keep findings ways to screw with him.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well there is no appeal, because even Ferrari know it was the right call as much as they hate to admit it -

In embarrassing climbdown, Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto wrote to the FIA to inform them that Ferrari will not be lodging a challenge ahead of the deadline on Thursday evening. This is despite Ferrari having previously said the appeal had gone in.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are definitely some suspect "experts" in Erik's link but I'm not a Palmer fan.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Ferrari is a mess. I hope they don't continue to screw the pooch, especially with Leclerc showing such promise.