• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Formula 1

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
They're talking like the Ferrari power unit is ahead of the MB..but who knows. Force India has had good top speed with low drag for a while. It seems to be a characteristic of their car..they do well at the higher speed circuits. They have trouble producing more downforce with lower drag at more turny places though. They've got some quality folks there for sure. Williams..well..they seem to have lost the plot. Apparently they tried something with the back end aero and it didn't work out. So now they're trying to patch it up but obviously any change can affect the balance in other ways so it's tricky mid-season. I think they've written this year off and will try again with next year's car, using this season as a testing session. Now with Stroll leaving perhaps they can get a more...experienced..driver in there to help them.

As for Spa..well..unfortunately the cars have somewhat taken the fun out..Eau Rouge is flat and Pouhon is flat. There was some DRS passing at the end of the Kemmel but yeah, I know what you're saying. I think, for me, this goes back to "We want the lap times to be lower.." I think they want more exciting racing and lower lap times in and of themselves aren't going to do that. I think they may one day sort that out but..I dunno..I'm curious to see what F1 looks like in 5 years.. Maybe not existential..but..things will probably be much different..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
You know, just to expand on this..I'm watching the IMSA qualifying for Mosport from this summer. So these are not prototype cars, but prod based racing cars, Porsche GT3 and the like. So Mosport is a pretty fast, scary track, Jackie Stewart called it the Mini-Green Hell after the Nurburgring, that he called the Green Hell. I've done a bunch of track days there, mostly on a Yamaha R6, a few loaner bikes etc. I was doing 1m33s-1m34s laps there. Pro Superbike guys do 1m 28s laps there. These IMSA cars are doing 1m15s laps. Prototype cars are doing 1m8s laps. Ok, they're fast cars. Thing is, the commentator just said the prototype drivers only brake 3 times a lap. So basically downforce, tires and carbon brakes have emasculated the track. On the bike I had to brake at least 8 times a lap. I just don't know how much of a test it is when you're flat in 7 out of 10 corners. I feel like it's IRL when they're flat around Indy. I love Spa, but I think Suzuka is a better test because there is a bit more braking going on at least.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I figured Kimi would retire but he's headed to Sauber instead. It'll be interesting to see if Leclerc lives up to the early hype.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vettel and Ferrari have thrown it away. Too bad; it would have been fun to see someone other than Lewis/Merc win.

InvalidConflict

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yup. Greatly talented jerk. IOW, future F1 champion. ogsmile

Ocon was getting lapped... He was trying to race the leader when he had no right to try and challenge the leader. Max can be a jerk, but Ocon was in the wrong today.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ocon was getting lapped... He was trying to race the leader when he had no right to try and challenge the leader. Max can be a jerk, but Ocon was in the wrong today.

I agree. Ocon was an idiot for doing what he did. It doesn't change the fact that Max has attitude issues. Be pissed off but don't shove the guy.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Max was awesome in the race today. Ocon wasn't being lapped though, he was trying to un-lap himself. He still should have respected the leader more though.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I mean, all he has to do is suck it up, let him go and he's got the race in the bag. But no..he has to race a back marker and crashes in the process, a crash that is arguably his fault. It's still a race..Ocon is racing for next year..for his next seat. And then he makes it even better by starting a physical confrontation in the parking lot after the game. He needs some serious life lessons and perspective.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
What @scott43 said. Ocon was on fresher tires, going faster than Verstappen and had people in front of Verstappen he was racing against. He had every right to unlap himself and try to catch those in front of him. Verstappen had nothing to gain and everything to loose by not letting him go. But his ego wouldn't let him do it.

I also found it interesting that when Lewis thinks he was gifted a race, be either team orders like Japan or where the leader has problems outside his control, Lewis is very subdued in his celebrations. That wasn't the case here. He saw the whole thing here and by his comments after the race he clearly thought Max brought it upon himself..

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
With the potential for rain and/or safety cars, Ocon had to unlap himself. You just never know, you could end up like JB in Montreal, zero to hero.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Max was awesome in the race today. Ocon wasn't being lapped though, he was trying to un-lap himself. He still should have respected the leader more though.
And really I don't disagree with your thoughts on Ocon. Like, don't take out the leader..but..having said that..it's always Max, isn't it? Pretty sure Lewis wouldn't have hit him and scuppered his own race.... He's like a spoiled rich kid who has been told his whole life he's the best at everything. And I still think it's weird to have your dad at your races in F1..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January