• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Formula 1

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Disagree .Verstappen was clearly blocking. They know the rule from very early on . Schumacher legacy..

The rules have changed since Schumacher!

As I said, Max was largely responsible. It was not his defense of his position as much as the fact that he blocked at least TWICE and did so while in the braking zone, That is not allowed. Verstappen has become no more than a liability to his team.

But, Daniel was def pushing if not exceeding the limit on that pass. I have my doubts he would have been able to make that inside turn going at the speed he was going. More importantly, he made the mistake of treating Max with some degree of credibility, a huge misjudgment. Daniel should know his teammate. Max did the same thing to Kimi in Spa. Daniel may not have caused the crash but he might have been able to avoid it.

Beyond the drivers the issue I have is with Red Bull. Daniel clearly had more rhythem than Max today and Red Bull should have managed that momentum better and leverage it instead of wasting it. Red Bull needs to manage its drivers. They set the strategy, not the drivers. Some teams have a clear 1 and 2 and others do not. Red Bull does not, but that means they need to be clear how the drivers can race when the two find themselves battling for position.

And let us not forget about Sebastian. Poor guy keeps getting taken out by Max. Today the safety car cost Sebastian the race. He has Mad Max to thank for that.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, maybe I'm just being too harsh.. Old age maybe.. :(

I tell you what - it was one exciting race!

I am certainly not looking to encourage crashes, but all this drama really made it an exciting race.

I hope Max gets things under control. He is a great driver. No doubt about it. Just needs to mature a bit more like Lewis said the other day.

Do you think Senna or Schumacher or Prost would have let some young kid like Max "get away" with this? I think they would have put the hurt on him after the first time he did it and he would have never even thought about doing something like that again.

Spain should be interesting. Unfortunately Alonso is still way off pace but btwn Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari, we might have a race on our hands. Throw in a wild card like Sainz and it might just make for TV-worthy racing.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Do you think Senna or Schumacher or Prost would have let some young kid like Max "get away" with this? I think they would have put the hurt on him after the first time he did it and he would have never even thought about doing something like that again.

Do you mean like Vettel did with HAM in Baku last year?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I don’t feel to sorry for whining Vettel. He already won a race this year when the safety car worked in his favor.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you mean like Vettel did with HAM in Baku last year?

I am not saying Vettel was right, but there are degrees/perspective to everything in life and there are about 200km difference in speed between the two incidents, a stop and go penalty handed to Sebastian vs no penalty given to Max, not to mention that Sebastian and Lewis were not teammates and that Hamilton had def break tested Sebastian earlier in the lap. By the way, there is a reason why Lewis has publicly stated that he respects Sebastian even more today than before that incident.

As for Max, in 2016 he crashed at Spa and then almost crashed in Brazil where he also clearly pushed Sebastian off the track. Last year, he crashed three or four times. And so far this year he has had a series of spins and accidents at three races, so far!

He has certainly kept things interesting to say the least.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just watching it right now...Team Red Bull cannot be happy.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I am not saying Vettel was right, but there are degrees/perspective to everything in life and there are about 200km difference in speed between the two incidents, a stop and go penalty handed to Sebastian vs no penalty given to Max, not to mention that Sebastian and Lewis were not teammates and that Hamilton had def break tested Sebastian earlier in the lap. By the way, there is a reason why Lewis has publicly stated that he respects Sebastian even more today than before that incident.

As for Max, in 2016 he crashed at Spa and then almost crashed in Brazil where he also clearly pushed Sebastian off the track. Last year, he crashed three or four times. And so far this year he has had a series of spins and accidents at three races, so far!

He has certainly kept things interesting to say the least.

I'm not comparing those two incidents. I'm saying that would be an example of "enforcing". I'm not against a little bit of enforcing, but it doesn't work as well in open wheel cars as it does if you are Dale Earnhardt.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not comparing those two incidents. I'm saying that would be an example of "enforcing". I'm not against a little bit of enforcing, but it doesn't work as well in open wheel cars as it does if you are Dale Earnhardt.

Completely agree. Reminds me of how Lance used to "enforce" at the TDF :eek:

When Lewis was asked about Sebastian, he said that after the dust settled that he "understood" Sebastian's actions - that they showed his passion, his fire. When asked about Max, the most positive thing Lewis could say was that Max "drive differently".

There are not that many cars and certainly not that many competitive cars today, so it's a real shame to loose top contenders to dumb crashes. Back in the late 80s and early 90s there was a much deeper field - Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet, Hakkinen, Barrichello, Hill, Coulthard, Villaneuve,... - all of them having won upwards of 12 grand prix. Today, we have Hamilton, Vettel and Kimi with a bunch of wins (hard to count Alonso as a contender these days given his lack of a competitive car) and then there is no one else in the field who has more than a few wins to their credit.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Order has been restored and the Formula 1world is as it should be. Hamilton on top and MB 1&2 in both qualifying and race. The only bummer was Grojean crashing out in lap 1.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
montreal-ferrari.png

What's wrong with this picture - Ferrari?? Nothing like placing the wrong city on your ad!

Sponsor

Staff online