• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Formula 1

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ferrari "gave" Vettel a race he had lost. Alonso looked great with a car that will only get better. Ricciardo and Raikkonen both very impressive.

Last edited:

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I did not see TV coverage of this one but my wife was not pleased with the announcers or the graphics. What did you guys think. @scott43 are you watching CBC or Fox? It's on Fox now, right?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Poor Haas. And Williams. Sirotkin foiled by a sandwich bag. Hey, at least Hamilton didn't win! Probably should have, but he'd had plenty of good fortune before this.
Meh..Williams ain't doing nothing this year..sandwich bag was mercy killing!! :roflmao: Haas was too bad..they appear to have improved quite a bit..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I did not see TV coverage of this one but my wife was not pleased with the announcers or the graphics. What did you guys think. @scott43 are you watching CBC or Fox? It's on Fox now, right?
We get the Sky feed on TSN with Martin Brundle..I do like him so not unhappy with that.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Really sucked that Lewis lost, especially the way it happened. Really Really sucked what happened to Haas, they were looking great and I was hoping for a great finish for them.

As an aside, has Kimi Raikkonen had his personality surgically removed? I have never seen any evidence he has on in any interview I have ever watched with him.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Netflix plans to produce a documentary series chronicling the 2018 Formula One season to be screened early next year. Formula One said the makers of the 10-part series would have unparalleled access over the course of the year to the drivers, team bosses and owners as well as the sport’s management team.

Formula One made the announcement Saturday, ahead of its opening race in Australia. The unnamed series will take audiences inside the cockpits, the paddock and the lives of the key players in the sport. Formula 1, which recently bowed its first over-the-top streaming service, believes Netflix’s global audience and brand will help attract more casual fans.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Jazzed to view my first F1 weekend of the season!

A couple of things caught my eye so far this week.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/robert-kubica-deliberately-sabotaging-williams-f1-team

Man, I was such a fan of JV. What's his gig now.... seems he's always making Weekly World News worthy headlines with his comments.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

This weekend, Liberty Media is expected to announce some new plans for race weekends. Could be interesting, the knockout qualifying format seems to be pretty popular.

Also saw RoGro stated that he's never had an F1 car as good as the current Haas:thumb:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess I will have to live through you guys here for my F1 and moto GP now that everything is F*#king pay per view. Refuse to pay for any additional screen time with my cable / internet providers.

Keep the results coming

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Man, I was such a fan of JV. What's his gig now.... seems he's always making Weekly World News worthy headlines with his comments.
Yeah..you know he's a fellow Canuck (kinda..) and I used to listen to him but yeah, he has said some pretty stupid and untrue things in the past 10 years. I don't know what his deal is. I think the answer to Williams problems is obvious and JV said it himself..they took drivers with better cash contributions..so they are likely not the best drivers, are they. Even Stroll..second year..how good is he? I know he's putting cash in.. And regarding the car setup..that's a very personal thing. They can't actually adjust the car THAT much...and some like understeer and some like oversteer..and some like neutral..so if the young pay drivers can't setup the car the way they like it, is that Kubica's fault?? I dunno..that's a stretch..and for sure someone on the team would notice if Kubica was making stupid changes. Not buying it..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
On another note, Honda are already replacing the ICE on both Toro Rosso's..they're allowed 3 all year..anyone still thinking McLaren made a mistake??

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Yeah..you know he's a fellow Canuck (kinda..) and I used to listen to him but yeah, he has said some pretty stupid and untrue things in the past 10 years. I don't know what his deal is. I think the answer to Williams problems is obvious and JV said it himself..they took drivers with better cash contributions..so they are likely not the best drivers, are they. Even Stroll..second year..how good is he? I know he's putting cash in.. And regarding the car setup..that's a very personal thing. They can't actually adjust the car THAT much...and some like understeer and some like oversteer..and some like neutral..so if the young pay drivers can't setup the car the way they like it, is that Kubica's fault?? I dunno..that's a stretch..and for sure someone on the team would notice if Kubica was making stupid changes. Not buying it..

Yeah, I thought this bit from the linked article was revealing:

“It’s possible that he’s tuning the car so that it’s hard to ride for the other drivers. His dream is to race again, not be a third man, I would not underestimate that, and I would do the same in his place.”

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Wow, I really enjoyed the race in Bahrain. Those first few laps were phenomenal, the drivers must have felt like any maneuver was possible on those super duper ultra mega softs. My wife said she didn't think she was up for two hours of David Croft's exclamations but damn, there was move after move worth screaming about.

Super impressive drives by both of the proclaimed title protagonists. Hats off to Seb for bring it home entirely inflated and leading the pack. Made my own exclamation when Lewis pulled off his three at once pass but his in car shot made it look like he mostly took the preferred line while the others were defending against each other.

Honda showing some muscle:thumb: RoGro still dealing with his brakes:huh:

No objection but personally I'd rather not have seen the tib/fib snapping multiple times.

So ESPN is unwilling to field its own team of announcers? IMHO Croft is a big upgrade, I find his commentary to be nicely crafted and info dense. Brundle and di Resta are high quality but the whole experience seemed antiseptic compared to the chumminess of Hobbes, Matchett and Buxton. Seemed like there was a lot less humor in total and when one made a joke the other responded with silence. I did appreciate that the presentation assumed that the viewer had a clue. Felt like I was listening to professionals rather than watching with three really insightful friends and a loud mouth :)

Three days until practice:golfclap:

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
What a race from start to finish. Always happy when Louis wins but that really sucked for Bottas.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d say 75% Max’s fault and 25% Daniel’s fault.

Then again the team must be questioned as well. Certainly not fair to complain to the drivers if the team does not set any strategy for these situations. Red Bull was blaming the drivers and taking no responsibility.

Amazing race by Kimi. The guy is still a top five driver.

Alonso was likely the best driver today. What a race with a car that was falling apart.

Happy to see Force India take a podium.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Disagree .Verstappen was clearly blocking. They know the rule from very early on . Schumacher legacy..

Sponsor