• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Fischer

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RC4 The Curv GT.png
Fischer Curv GT
Dimensions: 129-80-112
Radius: 16m@175cm
Sizes: 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175
Design: All New

Philpug: Fischer has always been known for making some of the best hard-snow skis on the planet. The Curv GT has the power that you would expect from its now-Euro-only Progressor skis and the versatility of its Pro MTN collection. The gradual tip rise allows you to ease into any turn you want thanks to a sidecut that runs past the running surface, and the square tail will hold though the turn.
  • Who is it for? Those who like to work their skis; the gradual curve tip allows it.
  • Who is it not for? Backseat skiers; the tip needs to be pressured to get the most out of it.
  • Insider tip: Fischer is on the rebound; not all shops carry them but you will be rewarded for the time you spend to seek them out.
Pro Mtn 86 Ti.png
Fischer Pro MTN 86TI
Dimensions: 128-86-116
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 175
Design: Carryover

Ron: This carryover from Fischer was a real surprise for me. Super versatile, it rails on the groomed, makes any turn shape, and, even though it might prefer harder snow, is quite capable in bumps and crud. It has a nice solid, stable feel, lots of energy, and decent pop. In my testing notes I commented that you can really feel its entire length. For an 86mm, this is what I am looking for: more groomed, carving chops than off-piste performance. My only slight gripe is the tip, which has more splay than I think it needs. I noted a slight bit of vibration at speed, but it didn’t cause instability. I also wonder if moving the mount point back a little would help.
  • Who is it for? Those seeking a high-performing mid ski with that classic Fischer feel. You might find this sleeper on discount racks, so keep an eye open! It does like some input and some skills.
  • Who is it not for? Not sure, it is a user-friendly ski that has a great bandwidth of performance. I wouldn’t recommend this for a Level 5, but it does offer room to grow for those who have or want to develop skills.
  • Insider tip: The 175 skied like a true 175: don’t size up if you usually ski a 178. Demo before you mount to dial in the binding position.

Women's
My Curv.png
Fischer My Curv RC4
Dimensions: 121-68-102
Radius: 13m@164cm
Sizes: 150, 157, 164, 171
Size tested: 164

Tricia: Fischer’s new Curv line is offered on the women’s side of the wall as My Curv. I was advised that this ski was set up with a race tune, which was immediately evident when I made my first turns. It really wants to be skied at speed, holding a strong edge and relying on skier input to move into the next turn. No getting lazy on this ski with this tune; I’d like to get a chance to ski it with a 1°/3°.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a strong carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.
  • Insider tip: Sharpen your skills, this ski needs to be driven.
My Mtn 84.png
Fischer My MTN 84
Dimensions: 126-84-112
Radius: 15m@167cm
Sizes: 150, 159, 167
Size tested: 167

Tricia: Fisher’s new My MTN series for women is designed to take you all over the mountain, much like its male counterpart, the Pro MTN. While this ski was okay on groomers, the area that it really made me grin was in the moguls. Lightweight, nimble, and easy.
  • Who is it for? When you want a nimble ski with an off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a strong groomer ski.
  • Inside tip: Relax and trust the ski.

doctortom

Booting up
Skier
Ron: Is the 2016/17 All Mountain Pro 86 the same as the 2017/18 version? Also-would the Look Pivot 12 binding work well with this ski? Thanks, Tom

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ron: Is the 2016/17 All Mountain Pro 86 the same as the 2017/18 version? Also-would the Look Pivot 12 binding work well with this ski? Thanks, Tom

I'm not Ron but my understanding is that it is the same ski. Ron must think so too as he lists it as a carryover model.

I happened to ski both of these skis Saturday at Snowbasin's demo day. Conditions were spring-like in that it was a little scratchy early and a little too slushy late. My son and I must have chosen our runs wisely as we had pretty good demo conditions. I heard a lot of people complaining about the conditions later and the next day but I thought we were able to get a good feel for the skis. We were primarily skiing areas that had been groomed at some point in the last couple of days due to the conditions and were skiing quite quickly. I think we logged about 45K in vertical before 3 pm when they closed up shop which included a lengthy lunch stop. I am 6' 2" (and shrinking) and weigh about 215. My son is a similar height but only weighs about 135. Some of the skis I demoed that I really liked: Head Kore 93, Head Kore 105, and Head Supershape Titan. For reference, most of my own skiing is done on one of the following 4 skis: Blizzard Bonafide 187, Fischer Motive 95 186, Nordica Unleashed Hell (Patron) 193, and Kastle MX 88 188.

We both had a high opinion of the Pro MTN 86. I skied the 182 and my son skied the 175. It was a ripper of a ski and really pulled into the turn and across the fall line when tipped. It also released predictably when rotated on the steeps. We were skiing primarily on trail and I would guess that is probably its strength. I own the Motive 95 and this is definitely in the same vein and feels like a Fischer ski in every way--solid and stable but not as damp as some other Teutonic brands. I would definitely own this ski if I had a need for it (which I don't).

I was able to get on the Fischer Curv GT late in the day (last ski I demoed). I had tried to get on it earlier when the snow was firmer but the longer sizes were always out. I really, really liked this ski. I was not educated about this ski when I took it out and would never have guessed its dimensions by skiing it (128-80-111 in 182 with a 17m radius). I erroneously thought it was much narrower like the current Curv models and was quite surprised when I looked up the dimensions after skiing. It handled the steeper small moguls off trail quite well and was more exhilarating than an all mountain ski on the packed slopes. This is an intriguing ski and one I would like to try again as the narrower end of my quiver could (maybe) use some attention. I have not skied the other Curv models for comparison purposes but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts who have.

Finally, my son skied the Ranger 90 in 179 right after having skied the Head Kore 93 in 180. He liked the Ranger a lot and thought it skied quite similar to the Head (although he slightly preferred the Head).

MSC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm on 175 progressor 1000. 6'3, 195.

What length curv gt should I get?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm on 175 progressor 1000. 6'3, 195.

What length curv gt should I get?
Stay the same if you want the same feel or if you want to let up open up some more, size up. No wrong answer.

MSC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Perfect, thank you very much. While I'd like to think I'm a GS speed guy, I'm more like a speed guy at turnier shorter speeds. Very much appreciated. These look wide enough to handle some chop too with some skill.

have a great season. Snowing in Tahoe now.

Chris

Sponsor

Staff online