• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Faction

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Faction Candide 1.0
Dimensions: 121-90-121
Radius: 18m@182cm
Sizes: 164, 170, 176, 182
Size tested: 182
Design: Carryover

dean_spirito: When the greatest freeskier on the planet designs a ski, people should probably stop what they are doing and take notice. While many brands have moved away from fully symmetrical designs in order to appeal to larger audiences, Faction has figured out a way to combine the body of a traditional park ski with the soul of a big-mountain ripper. The Candide 1.0 was the only symmetrical ski I tested this year, and it also happened to be the stiffest and most conducive to hard charging. Candide Thovex is probably one of the most aggressive freeskiers out there, and this ski is a perfect reflection of that style: incredibly stable at high speeds and burly enough to handle any size airs, whether in the park or backcountry.
  • Who is it for? Big-mountain skiers and heavy, aggressive park riders.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and intermediates skiing on piste: this is a stiff ski that demands a competent driver.
  • Insider tip: Symmetrical skis have a unique feel and can be difficult for traditional skiers to adjust to; don’t disregard this ski simply because of its shape, just realize it may take some getting used to.

gozoogle

Booting up
Skier
What length would you recommend for park skiing? Equal to height?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Faction Candide 1.0
Dimensions: 121-90-121
Radius: 18m@182cm
Sizes: 164, 170, 176, 182
Size tested: 182
Design: Carryover

dean_spirito: When the greatest freeskier on the planet designs a ski, people should probably stop what they are doing and take notice. While many brands have moved away from fully symmetrical designs in order to appeal to larger audiences, Faction has figured out a way to combine the body of a traditional park ski with the soul of a big-mountain ripper. The Candide 1.0 was the only symmetrical ski I tested this year, and it also happened to be the stiffest and most conducive to hard charging. Candide Thovex is probably one of the most aggressive freeskiers out there, and this ski is a perfect reflection of that style: incredibly stable at high speeds and burly enough to handle any size airs, whether in the park or backcountry.
  • Who is it for? Big-mountain skiers and heavy, aggressive park riders.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and intermediates skiing on piste: this is a stiff ski that demands a competent driver.
  • Insider tip: Symmetrical skis have a unique feel and can be difficult for traditional skiers to adjust to; don’t disregard this ski simply because of its shape, just realize it may take some getting used to.
Great review. Dude... I had no idea until now who candide thovex is ... I do now! If I ever have a quiver, this ski is going at the top of my list. You note in another thread that this park ski class can be also used in moguls. I will definately keep that in mind. cheers

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Dumb question time: what's the difference between a symmetrical design and a twin tip?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dumb question time: what's the difference between a symmetrical design and a twin tip?

A twin tip just has tip and tail turn up with the edges going 'round both.

A symmetrical design has tip width = tail width and tip-center distance = tail-center distance and shovel flex ~ tail flex.

In case you were wondering, yes it is completely possible to have a symmetrical design that isn't a twin tip. My 87-45-87 Elans are one example.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A twin tip just has tip and tail turn up with the edges going 'round both.

A symmetrical design has tip width = tail width and tip-center distance = tail-center distance and shovel flex ~ tail flex.

In case you were wondering, yes it is completely possible to have a symmetrical design that isn't a twin tip. My 87-45-87 Elans are one example.
So theory wise one can mount the bindings backwards and note no difference - yes?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So theory wise one can mount the bindings backwards and note no difference - yes?

I almost did that - twice :roflmao: Joking aside, on the skis I'm thinking of (not Factions) the topsheet was utterly useless to orient the jig and I was shooting for a -2.5 mount - and the base diecuts were done one in the tip and one in the tail for a slant look. Gah.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anybody skied the Faction Candide 2.0?

As a directional skier, in 16/17 I early season demoed the Candide 4.0 - quite floppy at speed; and the Candide 3.0 - very good, although not sure it was a standout for me personally. Unfortunately I never got on the 3.0 in more than 2" fresh and would like to have tried it on a real powder/variable resort day.

The Candide 1.0 was not at the demo, but the other three were. I often demo with the Frontrange Christy's staff and tech people, getting their feedback to add to my own. And for them, the Candide ski that got the buzz and got bought by staff/tech folks was the 2.0, the one I didn't get to. Go figure.

One tech guy whose opinion I really enjoy, for my own skiing, used the 2.0 in 184 as his daily driver all of last year, and loved it.

This year, I very much want to try that 2.0 as soon as possible. 16/17 version:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online