• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been homing in on these skis for about a year. I was resigned to the internet approach (no offense @SkiEssentials, thanks for supporting the site). Today, on a whim, I stuck my head in both small local shops downtown, and one of them picked up Nordica........and now I own a pair of 185s with some Salomon STH2-13 binders.

So a question for pugski's B&B (Best and Brightest, stolen from TheTruthAboutCars): Where should I mount them compared to the mark? I've hear and read a lot about going a bit back, but don't know how this applies to the mark on THIS YEAR'S VERSION.

All opinions welcomed, esp from those who own or have actually skied the thing!

Me: 6'2" and 190. Traditional, directional skier. Likes to carve. Never smeared a turn that I didn't absolutely HAVE to.

Thanks B&B!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied my 185's on the line.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump.

Anybody else have any input?

They are getting drilled tomorrow.

Thanks!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, sell the bindings and get demos, so you can play with different positions? Or mount on the line and just have fun. :)

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, sell the bindings and get demos, so you can play with different positions? Or mount on the line and just have fun. :)

I have an acknowledged illogical dislike of demo bindings.

And though I've owned or demoed several skis over the years that I enjoyed more when mounted a bit forward (Blizzard Magnum 8.7, Atomic Nomad Savage, K2 Pinnacle 118, Head Monster 88), I've never felt the love when sliding when sliding bindings back.

Which speaks well to your recommendation of "on the line and just have fun", so thanks!

Hoping to hear from @Ron and some of the other testers, but leaning heavily towards on the line.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm similar weight and height, mounted mine on the recommended points. Love them!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Ok - So, I had the first year Enforcer 100's - 185. Mounted them in the line and did NOT like them - moved them back and they where a whole different deal. I went 1.5 back (would have just done 1cm back but had hole conflicts - went to FKS). Anyway there was a huge thread on the "Old" site. There was a significant # of people that liked them back. I can measure where the mark was on mine

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have an acknowledged illogical dislike of demo bindings.
I cannot disagree with the thoughts of earlier demo options, some of them were just not good, in fact they were bad. I agree that the new ones are not quite as good as the retail counterparts but they are as close as they ever were. The Salomon/Atomic, Warden 13, the Tyrolia Attack 13 GW, the Look SPX (although a bit tall), and the Marker Griffon are all damn good bindings and all are respectable clamps.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
On the top.

HOF response. Love it. I have some intel on this. There are three skiers in my family on the ski, and I think maybe seven pairs by now? All three are coaches, and this is the ski that they are generally free sking on. I have skied it in both a 185cm and a 193cm, as a result. Mooching a pair of theirs. Same BSL as our son, a pair of demo's on one of the 185cm's.

My recommendation without seeing how somebody skis, and will ski it, an without knowing exactly where they will ski, is to go with it on the line. Two of the family are on 185cm's....and ski it on the line. In their case, the ski is probably a touch longer than ideal. If it were made a touch shorter.....like a 182cm, that would be perfect. Both are women, either side of 150lbs, and both are exceptional skiers. They really drive the ski. Not a lot of slarving, pivoting, etc. What they love about the ski is the shape, the tip engagement and the rebound. The ski is fun.

Now our son skis it in a 193cm, and I think he is 1.5cm back of the line. He is a very strong, very dynamic skier. Rarely will he be in bumps, unless they are big soft pillows; bumps in the trees, yes. He much prefers the mount setup to lay to over and rip carved turns at all speeds and shapes. He also fully "gets" why Nordica recommends the mounting point that they do, as it's incredibly versatile when mounted that way. He's trying to maximize the ski....for him. To be honest, he's affiliated with Nordica, and he really wishes the 193cm was built with a beefier layup. The ski folds up under him reasonably easy. But he's kind of unusual. 200 lb beast.

I also know that when he first skied the ski, he felt that the tails just felt "long". Mostly in his head, he'll admit, as 1.5cm is not much. But that's his preference. He also skis it with a plate. He would rather NOT, would like to be flat down on the ski, but he feels that it stiffens it a touch.

If I were buying the ski, based on their input, I'd be buying the 193cm, and mounting it right on the line. I'd like to maximize the versatility and design of the ski.

And I agree don't rule out any of the current demo's....Attack's and Warden's are two that I have more experience with. No comparison to demo bindings of an earlier generation. Solid feel.

Enjoy them! Great ski!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I measured - my mark is 84cm from tail. Also, here is a picture, all are 185's all lined up, same angle - OG Enforcers on far right, Cochise on left - liked both of those skis - maybe why I didn't Enforcers v2.0 on the mark (this was before I moved them)

YMMV

The aattack demos are pretty solid - I have them on a pair of Bodacious right now

IMG_1363.JPG

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Muleski. Great info. On the line it is. Your son sounds like me 25 years ago -- or at least my age-enhanced memories of that time. It must be a blast to chase him around the mountain!

I also have a very "loose" Nordica connection, primarily due to being sponsored by Trek in the bike world (crossover is wonderful). But I bought these locally because it's a small town, and the fire-related closure of I-84 has CRUSHED fall business downtown. I can afford a few extra bucks to help bootstrap things here, as so many other locals are doing.

Sorry for the aside. So, knowing what I know about this year's Nordica line, I expect your son will be arcing around on a pair of the new Enforcer Pros this year? It sounds like a match made in heaven.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Tom i hope you got my pm? Overall i like them on the line where you can engage the tip better but at times the line seemed too forward. That was usually on a deeper day when i could get a bit of tip dive. I played around some at -1 and liked that on more open terrain but lost some of the fun. Maybe -5mm would be nirvana but the line was more fun in bumps and certainly in steamboat pillow bumps. Im on enforcers in my avatar btw.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unless you are skiing a lot of trees or play in the park, I would try mounting them aft. If you go a cm aft, remounting them on the line is not a problem. From what I've seen, women seem to prefer them straight up and men tend to prefer them back a bit. @Muleski makes a good point about plates. I definitely prefer them mounted flat. It makes the ski feel a little more playful. My dad prefers a plate because it makes the ski smoother when powering through crap. What ever you decide, if you don't like it, ski them for a while as they are. For some reason there seems to be a bit of a learning curve with them. I think they just ski differently than expected. I'd also consider a stone grind if the bases aren't flat. It makes a difference.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember discussion on Epic about this so before I got mine I moved them around a little via demo. I ended up going with mfr. recommendation (on the line). I can say this I've never owned a ski that did more things at such a high level. I find them brilliant in fresh in fact they supplanted my real powder skis at least until this year. Snorkel days do call for a little more but then these are 100-s.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom i hope you got my pm? Overall i like them on the line where you can engage the tip better but at times the line seemed too forward. That was usually on a deeper day when i could get a bit of tip dive. I played around some at -1 and liked that on more open terrain but lost some of the fun. Maybe -5mm would be nirvana but the line was more fun in bumps and certainly in steamboat pillow bumps. Im on enforcers in my avatar btw.

Thanks @Ron!

No PM though. A couple excellent ones from @Muleski, but none came through from you.

I might go -5mm.

Like I could ever pass the blindfold test on that one! :rolleyes:

Sponsor