• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

LEGEND X106

123-106-139
r=17 mm @ 182
173, 182, 188

Update & reality check
:

I skied the 182 Dynastar x106 again at the Keystone/Ski & Golf demo yesterday, Saturday, to get a sense of how it would do on an "old snow" and groomer WROD day, since the first time I demoed this ski was at the earlier 2" plus 12" Loveland/Christy's demo day a few weeks ago, a true soft snow day.

The Dynastar rep said the x106 was designed to be a better skier's 70/30 ski (70% off piste, 30% on), and that is my conclusion too. Still, this ski was very good on piste, on the two available blue and green groomers, but not quite like the best skis with a more "old snow," groomer bias. The x106 felt a bit heavy, though fast. But otherwise was very stable, damp and fun to ski, making any size turns, slightly favoring fairly short turns - on edge, quick, fall line. Very dependable.

After talking to the Dynastar rep at length, I understood that this x106 is the only Legend version truly aimed at more advanced to expert skiers.

The Legend 88, in turn, is aimed more at advanced skiers who like forgiving but stable, on edge, longer, cruising turns (as a 50/50 ski, according to the rep: equal time on and off piste). The 88 has two layers of Titanal to help accomplish this (the only Legend ski that has this).

By contrast, the rep said, the Legends 98 and 84 have no Titanal, and are softer flex skis with greater "sweet spots," aimed more at intermediate to advanced skiers.

For my purposes, then, the x106 would be an excellent "in-between" day ski, maybe for the afternoon of a powder day, or the day after - for mostly soft snow and crud, where it shines brightest.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Dynastar is going to be at Mont Orford in the eastern townships of Quebec when we're there on 1/13/18 so taking a look at the lineup to see if there's anything I'd want to try. Last Dynastar demo was at Orford in 2016 where I tried the Elite 11 which was ok, the Glory 84 which I hated and the Omeglass S Fluid X which I loved, loved, loved.

Looking forward to the demo day this year.

LWSkier

Booting up
Skier
I'm cross posting this from TGR, but I thought the PUGSKI crowd might appreciate this as well.

188 Dynastar Legend X106 mini review:

Me: 29 yrs old, 5' 10" ~200lbs, ski instructed for a while and mostly like to just freeski fast, ski in a Lange RX 130 LV. Not a hucker but love skiing open bumped out terrain in a "GS" style. Fairly solid technique and I can ski anywhere on any mountain in any condition. Full disclosure: I like Dynastar and somehow got sent these skis for the TGR masses to try out. So I'm not on the take but take my review with a light salt grain. Hopefully this info helps someone learn more about these skis.

Other skis I like: 192 Legend Pro 105, any ski with good edge grip, damp layup and a traditional mount point. Blizzard Bonafide, Bodacious, Line Influence, Armada Inviticus TI, Head Monsters (new and old) , etc come to mind.
Don't like lots of tail or more centered mounts. Hated the Blizzard Gunsmoke for instance.

I used my x106 2 days at Mount Baker Ski Area. Conditions skid: mid-winter chalk, proto-corn, refrozen, lumpy chair 8 "groomers" (anyone who skis else where would not consider them groomers), recycled old pow, crud. Majority of the time spent lapping Upper Canucks Deluxe to Upper/Lower Honkers. Enjoyed the lack of people and got a wide variety of conditions in. (Side note, why does no one in the PNW ski off-piste post storm anymore? Some of my favorite ski days have been skiing bumps and crud.)

Conditions:
25130132_10214984826243802_13522543_o.jpg

The skis:

24958856_10214987242064196_4980179579654401648_o.jpg

188cm
139-106-123
19m Radius

Snow feel: Damper than the Cham 107 2.0 with much better edge grip. Real tail rocker makes for an easier slash than any Dynastar I've skied to date. Definitely not an old school Legend Pro race feel but they have guts for sure. Although they look similar, these skis are more Legend Pro than Cham. But unlike the old school LP, you don't have to go 40 mph to make these skis feel fun. They reward good technique and a fall-line approach to the mountain. Finishes turns much more readily than either the Cham 1.0 or 2.0. I think it has something to do with the extended taper/sidecut radius.

I started out at 0. At this mount point the ski feels super quick edge to edge and while it requires some forward pressure you are rewarded by big lateral movements and a slightly neutral stance. Sometimes in the bumps I would slightly notice the tail. But the tip is plenty supportive for me and I never once felt like I was overpowering the shovels. A tiny bit too quick on the groomers for me. Decided to go -2, just for kicks.

-2: Probably the best position for pure groomer skiing but the pin tail felt like it was sinking too much in soft stuff and they felt slugish.

-1: This is the perfect spot for more. almost as quick as on the line, can really push on the tips and the ski feels super balanced. If you're a more traditional skier and can really bend a ski, I bet this is the spot you'll like.

I never wanted for more stability or length, however a 193 version of this ski with a ~25m radius would be killer for a truly "big" mountain like Big Sky or Snowbird. For most PNW terrain I ski (tighter, more complex exits from areas) and lack of open terrain to let the ski run, the 188 is plenty. On the flipside, this is not an overbearing burly ski that requires sizing down. If you're an adult male who is at least an advanced skier, average height and over 150lbs I personally see no reason to go smaller than the 188, especially at the 0 mount point.

Anyways, more later once I get more days on the skis. My 188s have demo bindings on them and anyone on Pugski who wants to try them out are welcome to send me a PM. I'll be floating between Mission/Stevens/Alpental this winter, so hit me up if you want to give them a try.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Going to try to demo the dynastar speed zone today at mont orford. The ski shop still has a pair of 2016 dynastar omeglass. Fluid x to skis. $599 Canadian. I demoed these 2 years ago and loved them. I've grown a lot in the last 2 yeas so I know I'd appreciate this ski a lot more now.

Or wai and pick up a speed zone at a later time

So tempting

omeglass_speed_flx_spx12_fl_DAEC602_FCDB015_02.jpg

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
@Philpug - Did you think the X88 is nearly the same as Rossignol Experience 88? I've been skiing the Rossi's as my everyday driver for a few years now but am getting pushed to Dynastar and wanted some feedback.Cheers!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is a
@Philpug - Did you think the X88 is nearly the same as Rossignol Experience 88? I've been skiing the Rossi's as my everyday driver for a few years now but am getting pushed to Dynastar and wanted some feedback.Cheers!
It is a different animal. It will not lock into a turn like the E88 but will be a ton better off piste and in mixed conditions.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Thanks for the input. Conditions dependent, maybe an alternative to the current everyday driver(?) Well, guess I'll get some and give it a go.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I got a chance to hop on the Dynastar Speed Zone 10 and didn't care for it. Nor did my friend who's an advanced skier. Aside from a 175cm the only size they had was the 160cm and a 152. My friend is petite so she took out the 152 and I grabbed the 160. My guy took the 175. We both found them chattery and didn't have the edge hold we like. My SO like his a lot. Perhaps the issue with the shorter skis was a bad tune, who knows.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
@Philpug - I finally got on the new X88 this weekend. You're right, they don't lock into a turn and release out easier than the Rossi. I like that, though as they're quick in spite of having a theoretical slightly larger radius. I think they're just as quick. Then in about a foot of powder, they were nice and stable. Followed that with skiing through some manky mashed potatoes and they rocked through that like it was nothing. Really stable, no bucking. I also tried out some X106 in knee-deep in the trees and loved them. I've got those on the way. Really nice skis! I like both better than my Rossi comparisons and that's saying something. Glad they're from the same company, I don't have to feel guilty for a brand change.

Sponsor