• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sold 2018 Custom Made Praxis Freeride Skis 174cm FLAT

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm selling these because I got caught up in the excitement of having a pair of skis made for me over the summer. Honestly, they are a tad too tall for me, they've been sitting for months and I don't see using them for another 2-3 months and I have other financial priorities at the moment. On a superficial note due to the choice of finish the color didn't come out how I wanted. That said, they are beautiful.

Here's a little about the skis

Measure (Tip/Waist/Tail): 135/106/125 mm Turning radius: 21.00 m Weight: 376482 gram (174 cm)
Sizes: 174,184,194 cm
Manufacturers description
The Freeride model features a more traditional design with a square, flat tail, full length camber and a slow rise tip. Known for its fast and fluid domination of big-mountain lines, it is versatile enough to devour sustained vertical and the many variable snow conditions you might encounter on long, steep descents, and is also a key player in the resort ski category. While the Freeride transitions smoothly from edge to edge, effortlessly initiating carves and responsively exiting turns, it also feels great going straight down!

The Standard Edition Freeride is offered in a #4 flex with a maple ash core and carbon fiber layup.

Won't someone please give these a good home. Not looking for a profit, just to get what I paid for them.

$700 SHIPPED

I paid a little more than this but I'd like them to go to a good home so if I at least got this I'd be happy.

47031137_10156071185873014_3168246187115413504_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If anyone is curious, you won't find a more carefully made ski out there.

Are these the standard #4 flex? If so, these things will run.

Source: I have this ski in 184.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
You should probably try to sell this at tgr praxis thread, someone looking for a ski for girlfried/wife or some small dude. you might get better luck there

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
If anyone is curious, you won't find a more carefully made ski out there.

Are these the standard #4 flex? If so, these things will run.

Source: I have this ski in 184.

I’m curious if these are specifically for powder. Or are they one of those versatile wide skis? Can they hold a decent edge on firm or ice? And is the 4 flex very stiff? I’m wondering if this would be too much ski for me.

@surfsnowgirl ...you have got me thinking...

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I’m curious if these are specifically for powder. Or are they one of those versatile wide skis? Can they hold a decent edge on firm or ice? And is the 4 flex very stiff? I’m wondering if this would be too much ski for me.

I don't know if they'd be too much ski or not. Maybe others can elaborate there.

Here's a couple links I shared above which might answer some questions.

Based on conversations I had with Keith who designed these they aren't just a powder ski, I like all my skis to have some teeth because there's always hard pack somewhere. Keith said these have edge grip too. @jmeb your thoughts?

https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/praxis-freeride.html

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-skis/freeride-custom/

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

These are not powder specific. They have a flat, no-rocker tail, and mild tip taper and rocker. They excel in mixed conditions. I wouldn't say they are ideal for holding an edge on ice -- but for chopped up, low snow, wind buff, light powder, normal groomers, they are very predictable. You aren't going to carve deep trenches on them unless its soft. I like to think of them as a ski you grab if you have no idea what its going to be like out there.

I would say they are primarily designed as a West coast ski. They like skiing fast, on big terrain. If you're looking for a ski that is going to be very forgiving in Eastern trees, I don't think this is it. If you are a technically solid skier, who knows how to bend a ski and wants a great one ski quiver for when you travel out west -- grab this ski. The days that you "need" anything narrower or fatter out West are slim.

4 flex is certainly on the stiff end. I wouldn't call them very stiff -- they are no Head Monster. Whether they are appropriate for you depends on your size, weight, and skill. I would note that Praxis scales their stiffness to length, a flex 4 in this length should be a bit softer than a flex 4 in the longer length I have.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This has to be a typo... 37kg (aka ~72#) skis?!?

Wait....376,482 grams = 376.482 kg. 1000g = 1 kg. Move the decimal 3 places to the left. :roflmao:
Somebody better fix that typo if it’s on their website.

But the ski averages 8.2 lbs at that length, which is 3.7 kg. So somebody forgot a decimal in there somewhere.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Notes on my opinions: Western skier (CO), 6'2", 175# pre gear, comfortable skiing any inbounds terrain with relative fluidity short of mandatory air lines.

- I have these in a flex 4, 184cm that I use for early season "rock" touring. Personally I could go softer for a backcountry ski (flex 3) for better soft snow performance, but for an inbounds ski I think 4 is awesome.

I also regularly ski:
- Praxis Yetis (in flex 3, 182) which are far more forgiving due to rocker profile and softer flex, but less good at high speeds.
- Praxis Protests. I believe flex 3 (@Ron ?) in 187. Best pow ski ever.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Notes on my opinions: Western skier (CO), 6'2", 175# pre gear, comfortable skiing any inbounds terrain with relative fluidity short of mandatory air lines.

- I have these in a flex 4, 184cm that I use for early season "rock" touring. Personally I could go softer for a backcountry ski (flex 3) for better soft snow performance, but for an inbounds ski I think 4 is awesome.

I also regularly ski:
- Praxis Yetis (in flex 3, 182) which are far more forgiving due to rocker profile and softer flex, but less good at high speeds.
- Praxis Protests. I believe flex 3 (@Ron ?) in 187. Best pow ski ever.

not sure anymore. not a noodle though. Crazy fun :thumb:

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
Why would these be better for a girlfriend or a wife or a small dude. They might be light but are 174cm tall and are pretty beefy skis with a 4 for stiffness out of 5.

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-skis/freeride-custom/

174 is a short length by TGR standards, I think that's what he is referencing. There is a lot more "ski big skis that go fast" mentality over there. And relatively few women on the forum.

that's what I meant, there is a big number of people over at TGR that like praxis skis, but at 174 like said it's short for what most of the people over there which are more in the 180s / 190s for skis, so likely to be for someone finding a ski for someone shorter / lighter either themselves or a girlfriend/wife, which is pretty common over there since most forum posters are men. Really there is nothing wrong in saying it's targeted towards shorter people instead of a 6' / 190lbs lbs dude, it's a great all mountain ski and a good price if one is looking for this particular spec and praxis skis are amazing high quality skis!

Sponsor

Staff online