• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 6.50.18 PM.png
Yes, the Bonafide was a game changer for sure. It was the ski that put Blizzard's name back on the map, the ski that Bull-ied its way to the front of the class, pushed the reigning reference ski off the pedestal, and claimed, “Bring it on one and all.” Blizzard did its best to cash in on the Flipcore design and followed the Bull collection with a freeride group of skis that, well, didn’t quite have the same success. The predecessor to the second subject of this comparison, the Rustler 10, was in this group as the Peacemaker.

The 2018 Bonafide is the ski's second generation, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Blizzard did all it could with the first generation: it made the Bonafide better looking and even added carbon to the extremities, but even the groundbreaking Flipcore design was getting a little long in tooth. For 2018, Blizzard made the ski more compliant and more reactionary in the snow by softening it a bit and shortening the tip to create more shape and decrease the turn radius. And it did so all without compromising what created such a large groundswell.

As exceptionally mediocre as the Peacemaker was, the Rustler 10 is a ski that actually leaves an impression. Who woulda thunk that so much could be done to an evolution of a ski? Blizzard fixed everything that was wrong with the outgoing model when it designed the Rustler, and kudos are deserved. It is also very good that Blizzard started fresh and didn’t try to keep the Peacemaker name going (not sure why Blizzard didn’t do that on the women's side by retaining the Sheeva name, but oh well). The on-snow feel of the Rustler 10 is so much better than the Peacemaker ever hoped to have.
  • Why choose the Bonafide? This one is for powermongers who are not in their 20s any more, good skiers who want to charge but don’t need to charge from bell to bell. This new Bonafide is the mature version of a ski that we fawned over from Day 1.
  • Why choose the Rustler 10? The Rustler wants you to hang a bit more off piste, but even though it prefers mixed conditions and the rough and tumble part of the mountain, it still possesses a significant amount of groomer performance, ready to come out like a pair of pocket aces.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO, the new Bonefide is the first one that I'd ever imagine owning. I don't think it's 'less' at all. If someone likes the E-98/100's, it will feel familiar.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Here is my mini-review of the Rustler 10.
Stev skiing toward a pond at the edge of Upper Highland Lake on September 10, 2017.
hl910IMG2655crcrr091017hl.jpg

This is the 11th run of the day and the fourth run I did while getting to demo the Blizzard Rustler10, 102 in 180cm. I felt comfortable on this ski right away. It was easy to turn, stable, had good edge hold, and a lot fun to ski. As you can see I am confident that I can easily make a last minute turn if I decide not to pond skim. Thank you Spence.

While I still don't know about groomer or powder performance, I'd guess that the Rustler 10 would perform well in both. It is a versatile ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice reviews @Philpug ! Really trying to figure out where the R10 would fit in the quiver given that I already own a set of the newer version of the Mantras & Bones. When I want to charge hard I'm on the "Bones" ........... when I'm chilln', I'm on the Mantras. R10's???
IMHO it doesn't fit into your quiver. I would say the Rustler 11 could be a better option. I think there is even more overlap between the your Bonafide and your Mantra. I guess the R10 could replace the Mantra but the R11 would be a better option there too. This is an either/or comparison, not an and comparison.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMHO it doesn't fit into your quiver. I would say the Rustler 11 could be a better option. I think there is even more overlap between the your Bonafide and your Mantra. I guess the R10 could replace the Mantra but the R11 would be a better option there too. This is an either/or comparison, not an and comparison.
Have been researching the Rustler 11 this morning. Sounds similar to my Line Sick Day 110's, my most playful and fun ski and the one that I turn to when it gets a bit deeper and for off piste...(other than my old Kuros that hardly see the light of day here in the East ha ha ha ) ............ What do ya think am I off on this one? :beercheer:

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I think your quiver is pretty complete without a new ski purchase (assuming they're all in good condition) and has some overlap, but who are we to criticize anyone's ski purchase predelictions? ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have been researching the Rustler 11 this morning. Sounds similar to my Line Sick Day 110's, my most playful and fun ski and the one that I turn to when it gets a bit deeper and for off piste...(other than my old Kuros that hardly see the light of day here in the East ha ha ha ) ............ What do ya think am I off on this one? :beercheer:
I didn't know you had a SickDay 110. But a quiver with a Bonafide, Mantra and Rustler 10...Well, there is a good amount of overlap there.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Overlap .... complete quiver .... WHAT ?
Then again I'm sporting some Bonifieds enforcer100, Z90s and SR107s

It's more of a what mood am I in today lineup.
@Yo Momma - tour binders on any of these ?
R10s with dynafits might be a cool setup ?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Overlap .... complete quiver .... WHAT ?
Then again I'm sporting some Bonifieds enforcer100, Z90s and SR107s

It's more of a what mood am I in today lineup.
@Yo Momma - tour binders on any of these ?
R10s with dynafits might be a cool setup ?

Thanks and Yep! Tour setup on the Mantras and on my Dynastar Cham 107 H/M's........... Yeah......... I have way too much gear! :huh:

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't know you had a SickDay 110. But a quiver with a Bonafide, Mantra and Rustler 10...Well, there is a good amount of overlap there.
What I did was buy the new Mantras in a 177......... just like my older Mantras w/ the stiff tail. It's a VERY diff ski than the older model but what the shortened length does for me is mellow it into a fun and easy/quick vehicle for fast turns and a fun and easy full day ski. Also w/ the back country setup, it remains a versatile and strong enough ski to handle that and super light due to the short length.......... for heavier B/C I use my Cham 107 H/M's.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
the Rustler 10 is def' not a Mantra. Its no wimp but its decidedly off piste oriented or intended. Paging @SBrown

I totally agree with @Stev: "I felt comfortable on this ski right away. It was easy to turn, stable, had good edge hold, and a lot fun to ski." I wish I needed this ski. I wish I needed this ski. I wish I needed this ski....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
One thing of note is that the Rustler 10 is MUCH lighter in weight than the Bonafide. It is a notch down in stiffness but it still is a pretty stout ski. Its no wimp for sure. That all makes it a way different ski than the Bonafide. Pending some demoing I think the Rustler 10 is a good alternative to the Kore 105 and so an awesome resort ski for soft snow days. The Bonafide (16'-17') to me was more of a hard snow ski with off trail capability, specially in wider open spaces while still being capable in tighter quarters. I though about buying it but decided on the Monster 88 instead.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The Bonafide (16'-17') to me was more of a hard snow ski with off trail capability, specially in wider open spaces while still being capable in tighter quarters. I though about buying it but decided on the Monster 88 instead.

If you like the Monster, I think you'd enjoy the 17-18 Bonafide.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you like the Monster, I think you'd enjoy the 17-18 Bonafide.

I know I will :D , its just that I wanted something narrower for a hard snow biased piste/off-piste ski. So in a ~100mm wide ski I am looking for a ski that handles powder a bit better and is just a fun overall ski. The Bonafide was just too much like the Monster 88's but with just a bit of tip rise and hence not as much contact with snow in firm conditions. Awesome ski though. I was torn between the two believe me, super fun ski for me as well. (I demoed the 187cm 16'-17' Bondafide and got the 184cm 16'-17' Monster 88). I might just demo the current Bonafide and Rustler 10 back to back.

I wish Ski Manufacturers had a much Better Demo program, spread among the Ski Resorts in the state. It would make buying skis a much much better experience. Colorado is a perfect place for that. (Long season, wide range of conditions and terrain, awesome facilities and plenty of resident skiers and visitors alike)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Fwiw, and I'm a minority here, the old Bonafide just didn't do it for me for the reason you mentioned. The 17-18 is a much better creature than the previous iterations for a monster skier. The tip profile and rise is a nice improvement for folks who tip to turn.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I'm contemplating my next ski. I have the original Bones in 180 and I like them, even though they are a bit much for my 5'9" 150 lb frame. The safe bet would be the new Bonafide. I think the Rustler 10 might be going too wide. I'm actually curious about something like a Stormrider 95. That would fit better with a more dedicated powder ski. For firm days, I have the MX83.

Or, I could just keep skiing what I have.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing of note is that the Rustler 10 is MUCH lighter in weight than the Bonafide. It is a notch down in stiffness but it still is a pretty stout ski. Its no wimp for sure. That all makes it a way different ski than the Bonafide. Pending some demoing I think the Rustler 10 is a good alternative to the Kore 105 and so an awesome resort ski for soft snow days. The Bonafide (16'-17') to me was more of a hard snow ski with off trail capability, specially in wider open spaces while still being capable in tighter quarters. I though about buying it but decided on the Monster 88 instead.

This is very helpful, Ken R. I'm trying to decide between these two skis. My bones are at least 4 years old and it sounds like its been through a some fairly significant changes. I like mine but its time for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide between the all-mtn-firmer bias of the of the Bones vs the All-mtn softer snow bias of the Rustler. I also would love to just ski them back-to-back...that's definitely the right answer if I an do it.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I've started to think about my next set of skis. I have 5 yr old Hell 'n Backs, 98mm underfoot, basically the old Enforcer without the metal layer, that I picked up during a StartHaus blemish sale (never demoed them, but the Enforcers were gone and the price was way more than great). I love them in the powder and trees, but they handle poorly in crud and though they hold an edge well they lack pop and thus limit fun on groomers. I also have 7 yr old Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous CAs, 78mm underfoot, for my east coast default.

I'm 5'4" 158lbs, consider myself on the the advanced spectrum. Ski most everywhere on the mountain, but given the opportunity, I'd rather be off-piste. Not so much interested in speed as in finding the right rhythm. Live in Maryland so Mid Atlantic gets half or more of my days, but try to get out west 1-2 times and New England 1-2 times per season.

From what I read, the Rustler should be a bit lighter than the Enforcers, having one layer metal versus two, but a bit beefier than my HnB. I plan on demoing whenever possible. Would appreciate recommendations.

Sponsor

Staff online