• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018-2020 Brahma vs earlier Brahma

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
In another thread, I posted the observation that a 2019 Brahma feels like it skis on its tails.

Ok, it’s not stack height, it’s not placement of binding. These newer Brahma’s simply feel like they ski on they’re tails. For expediency, I recently bought the 2019’s. As last year, skied them in boots I’ve used with other skis, but this time my touring boots. I had them mounted with Shifts. No, I didn’t ski them with the risers up. Exact same issue as last year. Again, I don’t feel it at all with my 2017’s. What exactly is the difference between the newer Brahma’s and those from 2017 and earlier?

I was able to adjust to it. But, I’ve never experienced anything like this

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In another thread, I posted the observation that a 2019 Brahma feels like it skis on its tails.

Ok, it’s not stack height, it’s not placement of binding. These newer Brahma’s simply feel like they ski on they’re tails. For expediency, I recently bought the 2019’s. As last year, skied them in boots I’ve used with other skis, but this time my touring boots. I had them mounted with Shifts. No, I didn’t ski them with the risers up. Exact same issue as last year. Again, I don’t feel it at all with my 2017’s. What exactly is the difference between the newer Brahma’s and those from 2017 and earlier?

I was able to adjust to it. But, I’ve never experienced anything like this
It is a different ski, tip and tail shape.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup--I did not click with the recent Brahma's and Bonafides, but have enjoyed the Enforcers. Sometimes that is the way life is....

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
have they been base ground or factory tune? Blizzard come pretty railed from the factory.

Just to be clear your Brahmas are mounted with Shifts? and the pair that feel like your on the tail has NX binding?

to answer the question what is different.

Old Brahmas had less underfoot camber, much more tip rocker, slightly more tail rocker, sidecut was straighter underfoot, and had more shape in the tip and tail, it was also a softer ski despite the fact that IMO it skied stiffer.

New Brahmas - are flatter underfoot , flatter in tip and tail, just flatter camber profile overall. Sidecut is more pronounced underfoot, with the tip and tail being straighter. BTW this is not advertised anywhere but its very much like what Volkl has been doing on their freeride skis. Also the new Brahma flexes stiffer but IMO it skis softer because of the flatter camber and the 16.5 m sidecut versus 18.5 sidecut seem to help the ski bend more. New one came more railed from factory,

I had both mine mounted with the same binding with the OG mounted on the line, and the newer one -.5 which I determined was my sweet spot on a demo binding.

Neither skis feels like the tails catch with a proper 1/3 non rail tuned.

But it is all a moot point. If your ramp(and maybe your touring boots) was different between skis like in the thread you quoted that is going to make a bigger difference than any difference between the skis.

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
have they been base ground or factory tune? Blizzard come pretty railed from the factory.

Just to be clear your Brahmas are mounted with Shifts? and the pair that feel like your on the tail has NX binding?
Both have factory turned and not skied much since new.

Yes, the New have Shift. The Old have Griffins.

I guess I simply prefer the Old

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
The shift has a vastly different ramp angle than Griffon. The toe is 3mm lower on the shift.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The shift has a vastly different ramp angle than Griffon. The toe is 3mm lower on the shift.

I’ve had the same issue with rented New gen Brahma’s that had Griffon’s, both 174 and 180. Worse on the 174

Sponsor

Staff online