• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens - Fri 1/18
Stevens had 6 inches of new last night. It wasn't bang up geewiz powder snow, but it sure made off piste skiing nice. Most of the frozen crap layer was covered. There were some scrapie areas in mogul troughs but they were avoidable for the most part. The snow did get thicker lower down and as the day went on but it never got out of the fun category. Seventh was a little clumpy with some flat light when we did it, but it was worth doing. Corona Bowl was one and done. Off piste on the backside was not worth it. All the front side off of the groomers was pretty good.
Visibility started out nice, with filtered sunshine. The cloud cover increased and visibility got worse as the day went on. But it never got really bad.
Lift lines were there but never a big issue. Hogs did get pretty big by the time we quit around 2 o'clock.
It was a fun day.

Visibility - 0.8
Crowd - 0.8 Friday big
Snow - 0.8

2.4/3

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
pencil in Feb 7--10 just heard thats the weekend Dieter picked for his "annual" Baker get together.
last year saw 19 ski buddies from all over the province staying at the cabins at Glacier. Largest group we' ve assembled in decades
lets hope the snow comes even close to last year.
It's on the calendar!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a class to teach this morning (at Stevens) but had some fun off piste all afternoon. Agree that the frontside was better. I have an evening class to teach at 7:30 so grabbing a leisurely dinner at the Foggy Goggle, then some night free skiing before the class.

Nice to have some new snow, with more on the way.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: night skiing at Stevens is stellar! It’s snowing pretty good and the skied-out groomers are getting covered with more snow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I've been on the road in Idaho and Montana and I can tell you that, for skiing, I wish I was back home. Interesting places, but really low snow levels and the snow is getting harder, and harder, and harder by the day. I can't wait for some good old Cascade Concrete! I'll be home in about 4 days.

I am getting ready to leave on an extended Ikon base pass trip to UT, CO, WY, MT, so I did some ski resort website alpine base depth comparisons....:nono: Places in Utah that normally get twice the snow compared to Sun Peaks are sitting with a base that is only around a foot thicker and Colorado has less snow, All of these places are not likely to have done anything close to the amount of summer grooming that Sun Peaks does. I am packing extra P-Tex.

OTOH, Jackson Hole just got a foot (but are still not 100% open) and Steamboat is getting it too.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
i usually wait for at least end of January for road trips - its still relatively early season for a lot of interior locations, snow builds much slower
but by early Feb you should be golden in most places.
Have fun sounds like a great trip.
if your going via the coast on return pm me.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i usually wait for at least end of January for road trips - its still relatively early season for a lot of interior locations, snow builds much slower
but by early Feb you should be golden in most places.
Have fun sounds like a great trip.
if your going via the coast on return pm me.

I usually go on a out of town ski trip during the 2 week break between the last NFL playoff game and the Super Bowl. Last season I hit RMR, WH2O, Red, Silver Star and got fresh snow at every stop including fresh pow at Sun Peaks upon my return. This year I will be watching the SB in either Sandy UT or Aspen.

I expect to be returning to B.C. via Whitefish where this now 70 y.o. gets to ski free. I may also use some Ikon Pass days at RMR on the way through Revy but by then it will be early to mid March and I may be too travel weary to stop unless there is fresh pow at RMR.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
no idea when a break in NFL playoffs or the super bowl occurs,
I have a hard enough time remembering when the US holidays occur.
Yesterday on Creekside upload discovered it was Martin Luther King weekend, very glad to be ahead of the crowd.

The holiday weekend plus very high winds kept the alpine from opening and caused frequent stops on many lifts. Created some pretty significant lines.
Peak to Peak could not run to get over to Blackcomb which managed to get more open.
Snow was excellent mid hill but after half a dozen runs and the crowd was up loaded switched to lapping Mid station to Creekside
Valley snow while not powder was decent, good visibilty,
terrain may not as interesting but quite fun for high speed laps, and a walk on gondola always beats a lift line in my opinion
some days the valley is better.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
President's weekend Sunday 10:30am at Sun Peak's most popular lift, the Sundance Quad.
Village Day Lodge Slopeside.jpg

SP does get it's share of Seattle skiers and this line is about 10+ minutes long.

Meanwhile over on Mount Tod at the mid mountain Elevation Chair:
Elevation Chair.jpg

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hope I am on right site. Any info. on skiing and snow at Red Mt. and/or Whitewater?

I ski free at both so thought of making drive. Anyone stay yet at the new Hostel at Red ? Anyone know anything about hostel in Nelson ? Probably be by myself unless I can find a traveling companion.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
my kind of lines.

Whistler today from webcams only.
sunny no wind everything is open and the few lifts visible on webcams are walk on right now
A busy weekend crowd can spread out if everything opens.
today would have been a far better day so naturally I am busy with other things.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope I am on right site. Any info. on skiing and snow at Red Mt. and/or Whitewater?

I ski free at both so thought of making drive. Anyone stay yet at the new Hostel at Red ? Anyone know anything about hostel in Nelson ? Probably be by myself unless I can find a traveling companion.

Below is a screen shot from TGR, Southern BC Interior thread. I think it may have snowed some since these posts which were made on Jan 16.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-20_11-46-56.png
    upload_2019-1-20_11-46-56.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 9

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Dano if you hear on better conditions let me know I'd appreciate the input.

My best advice is to go to the Red and WH20 websites and sign up for "Powder Alert". If you are using a truck camper, Red is free parking, WH20 is $25CDN/ night, $40 for a 20amp plug-in of which there are only a few and you need a long extension cord.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens - Tue 1/22 Gore-Tex day
It was a special day because four old friends got together. What the mountain gave us was pretty much a mediocre day.
Crowd - not a bad line anywhere
Snow - a lot more icy mogul troughs, big snowboard ruts and scraped off areas on the groomers. It did snow all day so it got better and better. There was only a trace of new when we got there and probably 2 inches of new when we left. The snow was warm enough so it melted on you, therefore the Gore Tex day.
Visibility - a lot of flat light, snowing and freezing fog on the goggles. We skied a lot of tree lines.

I'm glad we went, but the highlight was the socializing not the skiing.

2/3

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
yesterday (Wed) Whistler 20cm fresh and a bluebird day.
One of those days you dream about, best ski day this year so far...
great untracked on all mid hill lifts initially and it carried over for a good part of the day as each of the the alpine lifts opened.
a good size line actually waited for Peak to open, think two very pretty patrol tracks down Shale slope kept the crowd drooling waiting for their shot
Once Peak opened it became ski on at Harmony and T bar. Symphony also had very nice turns out toward Flute.
snow skied a lot deeper than the 20cm reported.

that's it for new snow here until mid week next, break out the sun screen and enjoy the views .

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler has been pretty but needs a refresh.
Warmed up yesterday so today was westcoast icy in high traffic areas. There is still some decent snow but you either know where it is or have to look hard.
The blue skies combined with ski on lifts (on a weekend !!) is not common here so i appreciated it but i'll wait for another round of new before next day.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
the Whistler refresh arrived last night about 30cm so far and snowing heavily to base.
back to usual. Fresh snow with our famous "variable" visibility.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker today, Monday

10" of light powder on a windless day. The powder was laid over an ice base. It was fun, but a couple of inches of local fresh concrete on the bottom would have made it perfect. As it was, we bottomed out a bit.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had 8” of snow at my house, Stevens reported 1”.

Not fair!

Sponsor