• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Time to start thinking about it

official opening day for Whistler and Blackcomb is Nov 22
this year Whistler instead of Blackcomb runs to end of May.

new this year
Blackcomb
- new 10 passenger gondola base to adjacent Peak to Peak
mid station of same is fairly close to the old Wizzard/Solar Coaster exchange point
- and the last of the old slow original chairs Catskinner has been replaced with a high speed quad

Whistler
Emerald has been upgraded to a six seater

these improvements will reduce some wait times and help spread the traffic out on the hill more but for the most part they are in intermediate terrain or family zones and only involved minor changes with base and top locations, no new terrain.

the pineapple express in it's usual early November mode so not a lot on hill yet, but it comes fast here. .

have a good season hope to ski with some of you this year

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Let me know when you're down to Baker. I'd love to make some turns again. I probably won't be making it to W/B this season because I'm heading out on an extended trip into eastern WA, ID, and MT in January and I'll probably hunker for the rest of the season.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
will do. We always ski Baker a few times each year.
last season's assembling of 19 guys from our old Baker crowd at Glacier may also become an annual event .

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
happy.
I always prefer Whistler to Blackcomb - as long as the Peak is open
a lot of my favorite routes start off Peak

find Blackcomb,has more limited options late spring over cornice concerns .
but both have decent snow well into May in the Alpine on some aspects so either way it's not a hardship

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
they used to alternate years ago although I would not be surprised if its because of more development on Blackcomb starting next spring.

Last edited:

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally blowing snow at Crystal. The freezing level is going up so I hope it doesn't all melt.

Image 11-8-18 at 8.47 AM.jpg

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
this year Whistler instead of Blackcomb runs to end of May.

Interesting ... I see this confirmed on the WB hours of operation page, is there any more info on why this is happening? Being primarily a Whistler skier, I welcome this, but I also enjoyed being forced to explore Blackcomb. Spring skiing at WB is awesome ... I would usually buy the unlimited spring pass and park myself up in Whistler for several weeks at a time, holed up in a cheap hostel for $30/night. Unfortunately though, the spring pass has changed substantially (double the price, only 10 days) under the Vail regime.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
i am only guessing but there are some big plans for Base 2 area ,so if they are starting there would not be as much free parking adjacent the mid load this spring.

I also always added that spring deal onto an edge card- but now i'm an oldie my season pass really isn't much more.

however I'm quite willing to swap dollars for years with you, if you can make it happen

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler, 10 days to opening but currently not much snow.
They report 19cm base and it's all mid up, still green in valley.
There are some snow days expected this week and cool enough to use all the snow guns but no big dumps in short term forecast .
It's starting to look like man made groomers are on the menu for your Thanksgiving. I wouldn't hurry to get here.

wutangclan

Getting on the lift
Skier
One can reliably extrapolate from Vancouver’s North Shore what Whistler will be like up to mid-mountain. Here’s the view right now from my window. Bone dry.

CC061265-58B6-4FAC-A48F-9AB33FA440EC.jpeg

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
at least there is a small bit of white on them now.
Whistler got another 11 cm, not much. Good thing they have all that snow making capacity.
Sun Peaks plans to open tomorrow probably in similar conditions.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Silver Star (Okanogan) has now delayed their planned downhill opening but crosscountry trail are open.
Whistler opens Thursday with a just enough in forecast to add to the misery but dry again next week
Looking grim in this region for a while .

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like snow is starting (for real this time) today in the Cascades. Current forecast calls for snow increasing tonight and to continue Thursday and Friday, pick up again on Monday with snow showers all next week.

It’s about freaking time.....

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal Mt opened today, Discovery and Chinook Express, beginner and intermediate terrain only. Looks like they’ve been doing a lot of snowmaking, and they got 7” since yesterday.

Sadly, I have post-Thanksgiving crap to do and will have to wait.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pineapple express is in full bloom. Only serious snow falling is in the Alpine at Whistler - and it's closed
looks like November is going to be a wash out. What is open is not very interesting.
Drove Vancouver to Calgary on Saturday and did not see much in the valleys anywhere.
hope this current wet weather on the coast at least results in a some more snow for the interior.

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler - first of the alpine chairs to open
will be nice snow above Roundhouse with plenty of hidden surprises.
still very limited ops.

Sponsor

Staff online