Pacific NW/AK/BC 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by noncrazycanuck, Nov 1, 2018.

1. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    Last season and even more so this season there is an increasing number of Vancouver skiers visiting Sun Peaks, many for the first time or returning after a several year absence. High prices at Whistler are a factor.

Slasher and noncrazycanuck like this.
  2. Tom Co.

Tom Co. quickfoot Skier

At Stevens, we are starting to run out of snow on the south and east facing backside. Our snow pack is definitely less than normal, Here is a report from today -

We started skiing a bit before 10:00 to to pretty much unskiable on everything but the groomed but the groomed was nice. There was good visibility, only some filtering high clouds. No lines anywhere. On the backside, only the power line run was groomed and a lot of brush is starting to show in the main run. Aquarius was frozen crap early but softened about 12 o'clock. The ungroomed runs on the lower half of the backside also got good about the same time. The off piste on the front side was just starting to go off about 1230 when we had to leave. The lack of people and the good snow quality on the groomers made hauling ass a hoot. The snow never got sticky.
    Fun Factor 3/5
    Stoke-o-Meter 2/5. It got off the peg because of the high speed cruising.

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

noncrazycanuck Getting off the lift Skier

still decent at Whistler mid hill up but the deterioration below 4500 feet is very evident.

4. Posaune

Posaune sliding Skier

Baker is showing wear and tear as well. East facing slopes like Honkers are showing stumps and rocks in places, though the vast majority of terrain is fully covered.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

Whistler
    timing the sun angles is starting to become important
    alpine has stayed wintery firm, limited good snow areas, mid hill softens late day in full sun, icy in shade
    made a number of high speed laps Peak to Creekside yesterday, now corn in valley by late morning and a few thin patches to avoid.
    if we get many more weeks of this sun downloading will wise, almost a month early.

6. Tom Co.

Tom Co. quickfoot Skier

Is anybody else still skiing in the PNW?
    There is great spring snow happening now.
    Sunday at Hyak was superb
    Today at Stevens was a bonus:

Today was really good. Full sun most of the day with a little high clouds coming in later. A nice sun dog mid day. Empty. The snow was good. there were bare spots here and there, especially on the back side. 7th was to firm at the top when we did it mid day. The rest of the mountain skied really well. Some highlights- Orion mid morning, both sides of Big Chief, and the off piste chair line run on Skyline. There minimal sticky areas on the flats.
    Fun in the sun.

7. pchewn

pchewn Out on the slopes Skier

Sat, Sun, Mon at Timberline were good. Firm early, then nice and soft, then slush on the lower lifts at 11:00. Moved up to the Magic Mile for better snow. Finished off with cat rides up to the top of Palmer for the best snow of all.

We tried a few runs at night over at Skibowl, but it was slush everywhere. Good views though.

0331192019c-EFFECTS.jpg

Big J likes this.
  8. John O

John O Getting on the lift Skier

I'm still going, was up at Crystal this past Saturday for the demo day. Beautiful sunny day, slushy spring conditions once things softened up (and some legit soft snow on north facing aspects before then). Looking forward to another month of the lift served season. Plan to hit Alpental after Crystal shuts down.

9. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

anyone still skiing ?
    last I checked there is over 6 weeks left in the season. April normally is my favorite month at Whistler

March typically is a great month for snow but we just had our second driest March ever, combined with some record temperatures..
    So the base shrunk rather than built this year

Finally some much needed rain falling in Vancouver, about 8cm of snow so far at plot.
    but after this March the lower hill is already thin and not a lot of snow falls in the valley after mid April

skiing in the alpine will be fine

10. PNWRod

PNWRod Putting on skis Skier

I was up for the Crystal Demo day on Saturday. It's spring break for my son this week so I'm trying to sneak up there either Thursday or Friday. If we get a little bit of snow Friday night we may try to hit it again Saturday or Sunday.

11. Posaune

Posaune sliding Skier

I've been chugging away at Baker. Until today it has been sunny and warm. The coverage is rather thin on Honkers, in fact entering Lower Honkers is quickly becoming impossible due to melt and bare ground just below the cat track. Icy in the morning and gooey in the afternoon, there have been some good turns when you find the right aspect.

Heading up to Stevens next week, since Baker is closing on weekdays. We may head down to Portland and Hood Meadows for one last shot after the local hills are closed.

12. PNWRod

Hit Crystal on the way by. I know a guy....

13. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

When is Crystal's last day?

14. PNWRod

April 21st.

DanoT likes this.
  15. David Chaus

David Chaus If I am skiing the world is a perfect place. Skier

The last day at Stevens is also 4/21.

I was at Stevens this past Sunday (nice bluebird day with spring conditions) whereas the weekend before it was snowing (in theory), it was pretty wet and even rain at the bottom of the Jupiter/Southern Cross.

I’m planning to go tomorrow (Thursday) as my schedule is free until the late afternoon. Will also be there both Sat and Sun and I’m hoping it’ll be more snow than rain (the forecast is changing by the day).

PNWRod likes this.
  16. Seldomski

Seldomski Paralysis by analysis Skier

I skied Blackcomb side of Whistler March 30 - April 1. Best snow was under showcase T-bar before noon. I did many quick laps there. Always entertaining to watch the snowboarders on the bar there... On way down from T-bar/Glacier chair, you can traverse skiers left and hit bottom of Pakalolo and Secret Chutes for some chalky steeps. The snow there kept very nice - they remind me of Whale's Tail at Breck. There is still quite a bit of snow in high alpine especially considering the poor snowfall in March. They are doing a good job grooming the old snowpack - conditions were decent on all groomers under Jersey Cream.

I did the Momentum Mogul clinic for March 30-31. We did drills on groomer in morning, then slush bumps starting around 1pm, mainly under Excelerator chair. Camp director was getting a bit concerned about Horstman being closed. I do not think they use the lift to do runs in summer, but it is used to exit at end of day. Campers may have to hike out at the end of the day this summer. You could see where groomers had pushed snow under the Horstman tbar in an effort to get it open. Still some very low spots that I don't think can be filled. But you could theoretically pick up the bar somewhere in the middle.

April 1 they didn't bother to groom the Lower Cruiser/Lower Merlins. They may be giving up on the bottom? Or maybe they don't bother grooming the lower area on weekdays? I observed coverage on the bottom was noticeably worse from March 29 to April 1.

noncrazycanuck likes this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

lower hill is not groomed mid week that often.
    not a lot of traffic as the skiing into the village on lower hill is not very exciting and this time of year pretty mushy late day. By far better skiing lower hill is on Creekside. But it's not the usual choice if staying in the village.

Whistler April 10-14 has the World Ski and Snowboard Festival, lots happening.
    Best is the demo tents. Usually on weekend - has always been free (need to leave id or cc)
    Have picked my next ski many times at this event- often great deals to be had.
    Most brands will be there so it's easy to find the ones which your interested in.

A peak to valley run is a good test platform, this time of year you encounter just about every snow condition.

18. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    49 is still good early in the day or in the shadows and Mt Spokane is very good spring depending on the aspect. They are both getting set to close for lack of crowd though.

49* North is done this Sunday. The same.

19. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks is now a ghost town but this coming weekend is the Snowbomb Music Festival so there will be lots of party people which is odd for Sun Peaks as it is not a party mountain.

Most of the south facing runs on lower Mount Tod are closed while just about all runs on Sundance Ridge and Mount Morrisey are open. Orient Ridge and chair are closed.

I stay down the valley and 1000' below the mountain so it was raining in the morning yesterday in the valley but as I got to the site of the former "Magic Cattle Gate" (the gate was removed during a repaving a few years ago), about a quarter mile from the Burfield Chair, it turned from rain to snow. It was 2*C and snowing and 1*C and snowing in the village. The gate is gone, but the magic continues.

With the change in weather yesterday, anywhere that was not recently groomed is now frozen ruts with 6cm fresh on top. It did turn to rain on the bottom 2-300' vertical in the afternoon so the last 1000' feet of skiing into the village was ugly.

SP is closing April 14 so I was thinking about heading to Banff, but the very mild March weather and the amount of rocks in the Rockies has caused me to change plans and call it an end to the season after next week.

20. Big J

Big J Putting on skis Skier

Great picture!!