Pacific NW/AK/BC 2018-2019

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by noncrazycanuck, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Posaune

Posaune sliding Skier

I was at Stevens Wed. through Friday. How'd I miss you all on Thursday?

I've never seen Stevens (or maybe anywhere else) groomed as well as on Wednesday. They groomed from edge to edge and in a whole lot of places I've not ever seen groomed. The new snow on Thursday made it a bit more like I remember, but Wed. was beyond my mental grasp. I don't get to line it out quite the same at Baker. With nobody there we could go at mach speed with impunity.

Thursday was as described above.

On Friday a bunch more people showed up and they closed Skyline for maintenance for a couple of hours which resulted in LINES! I've gotten unused to standing in any lines at all, so it was a big shock to have to line up with a couple dozen others.

There is a different culture at Stevens from that at Baker. I wasn't there, but I'd bet anything I own on the fact that Baker was more crowded on Thursday for the big dump than it was on Friday for the leftovers. Not so at Stevens.

2. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Meet upwith @DanoT for a few turns at Revy. The fresh snow is a welcomed change from the hard pack of lake Louise/Sunshine.

IMG_20190311_112228.jpg

John Webb, dbostedo and Posaune like this.
  3. Tom Co.

Tom Co. quickfoot Skier

Stevens Tuesday
    Well was this the last day of winter? A change is coming.
    Looking at last nights weather hype I thought yes, a powder day. Well it wasn't quite that. There was 4 to 5 inches of new snow when we got there. It did snow all day, but not enough to build up anything. The visibility was not bad, but we did ski lots of trees and tree lines. The most disappointing part of the day is just how skied out the trees are at Stevens. They're all just full of big moguls and snowboard ruts . With a sharp eye and controlling your speed they are still skiable, but it's just more confining and energy consuming. Seventh Heaven, Tye Bowl and Big Chief Bowl all skied okay, but they weren't as good as last week. The snow wasn't quite deep enough and the base underneath was more evident.
    It was still a fun day.
    Fun Factor 3/5
    Stoke-o-Meter. 1.5/5 There weren't many areas that got us stoked although we did do a run in Shims. The bumps and ruts were big there too.

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

noncrazycanuck Getting off the lift Skier

Whistler minor powder day Tuesday -sunny Wed - Thur back to the usual variable visibility.
    No big snow events in near future and looks like spring arrives next week.
    most enjoyable skiing yesterday was mid hill. the Garbonzo lift line was especially sweet -soft nicely spaced bumps
    in Alpine plenty of patches of untracked but the last snow fall was not nearly enough avoid those bump surprises if braille skiing was required .

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:17 PM
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

forgot to mention crowds.
    had a couple of 5 chair waits yesterday and Crystal chair had a few stops while we where in line so it was more like 10 chairs,.
    But for the most part a ski on day.

heads up for any just arriving B.C. spring break starts tomorrow. For next 2 weeks it could be busier than usual.

6. Posaune

Posaune sliding Skier

Just spent three days at Mt. Hood Meadows. On Wed. there was new snow and when you found the places that weren't wind affected it was good skiing on somewhat dense snow (just like home). Thursday and Friday were bluebird days and I enjoyed the different kind of view that Hood gives over Baker. We could see forever, with volcanoes popping up here and there (Jefferson, Broken Top, North and South Sisters, Bachelor) and the eastern Oregon plateau looked like a cloud bank because of all of the snow. A very different kind of view from the ones at home. The groomers were nice and the crowds were low to none. Now I have to pay for it with a drive up I-5 to B'ham, and they've closed it in the Seattle area, so it should be lots of fun (NOT).

7. PNWRod

PNWRod Booting up Skier

Glad you had a great time. I've limited my time through Seattle to almost none (except to get to Baker of course).

John Webb likes this.
  8. Thread Starter
    TS
    noncrazycanuck

Sat Whistler - first day of spring break.
    very pleasantly surprised to find minimal lines on our choices.
    Try be ahead of that 8:45- 9: ish Whistler Kids upload.
    there are a lot of kids up for spring break.
    good winter snow alpine to below mid hill - by late day on lower Big Timber encountered my first sun soften snow of the year.
    I always enjoy those mushy bump ski outs but with warm sunny days forecast all week the sun effected will be higher every day.

9. Tom Co.

Tom Co. quickfoot Skier

It is spring in the PNW. Sunny and temperatures pushing 80 in the low lands
    Here is a report from today Tuesday from Stevens Pass. P1040460.jpg
    Seventh Heaven Area is at upper left, Skyline HSQ chair at center right

Twas a beautiful sunny day with no crowd at all. Stevens had that strong East wind that the Crystal reports mentioned yesterday, but in some ways that was helpful. It prevented a lot of areas from getting too slushy and sticky to ski. We got there about 10 o'clock and went for the sunshine because that's where the softer snow was. It was pretty firm in the shady areas and stayed that way for quite a while. Skyline on the sunny side was a good run early. The backside which had early full on sun was good. Tye Mill had kind of styrofoam winter snow early which ski well. The flats started getting sticky about noon, however a new wax job helped with that. I wasn't very adventurous today, but I did try Orion and it skied well once it it softened. The backside did get overripe after lunch. The front side stayed pretty good so we ended up skiing later than normal.
    It was very much worth going.

Fun factor- 3.5/5
    Stoke-o-meter- 2/5

David Chaus and Bad Bob like this.