• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Baker doesn't have a mid week pass, just one season pass and a senior discount. Stevens has the mid week pass, but very early and late in the season they include weekends on it. I'm not sure about exactly when this happens because I never ski there on the weekend anyway, so I don't pay much attention.
Please correct me if I am wrong. It looks to me like Vail replaced the weekday pass that was around $300 last year with the Local Pass that is now $629. There is a blurb that I saw that says the Select Pass (weekday) is still available but I do not see how a person could buy one. I was fortunate enough to qualify for the Military Veterans Pass. If I was a weekday only skier at Stevens Pass I would not be too happy at the huge price increase if this is correct.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want a Select Pass for Stevens, or any of the other passes they have that aren’t an Epic pass, you call them at the number listed on the website or buy it at the ticket office.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
To piggyback on David's post; there is no mention anywhere of this deal unless you ask. It lowered my opinion of Vail a whole lot, and it was pretty low to begin with. I only found out about it because someone here (THANK YOU) let me know about it.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Today was the next to last day of operations at Mt. Baker for the 18-19 season. The weather was incredible with sunshine and breathtaking views. It was "retro day" and there was a contest for best retro attire. A young woman won it who was dressed in a perfectly fitting one piece neon outfit and looked like a neon Suzy Chapstick. Sorry, guys, no pics. However I DID get a picture of some of the members of what I call the Chairlift Riding Band. This was a group of 8 or so musicians who rode around, and around on Chair 7 (right in front of the lodge) playing tunes. There was a cowbell, snare drum, two trumpets, trombone, and tuba (too bad it wasn't a sousaphone, the sound went up to where only the crows could hear it) and couple of other instruments, but it was hard to make out because of the bright sun. Anyway, it was a fabulous spring day with good snow, one of my best ever (and I've been skiing for 55 years).

Here's a video of the band making another turn around. Notice the noble trombone!

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Today was a really fun day up at Crystal. It's closing weekend, tomorrow is the last day, so it was a lot more crowded than the last couple weeks have been. Even so, lines weren't bad and almost non-existent after noon or so. The sun kept trying to come out but was fighting with low clouds/fog/whatever it was. Despite that, the temps were warm enough that things slushed up nicely without getting too sticky. Overall, it felt like a pretty perfect spring day. I won't be able to go up tomorrow so it's my last day at Crystal for the season.

Hoping for things to keep going at Alpental, but they're calling it TBD right now for next weekend. I know Crystal lost quite a bit of snow in the past week, anyone know how Alpental is doing?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Last day at Baker. Some sun, some clouds. It got sticky early so I bailed at noon. Now I'll have to start using the sea kayak I just bought. Looking forward to it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Now I'll have to start using the sea kayak I just bought. Looking forward to it.

I just got my Chestnut fibreglass canoe out of its storage spot and will be out sailing it soon. it has been a couple of years since I have gone sailing but in the past I have had it out on the Columbia River Gorge with the wind surfers as well as a slightly tamer more appropriate places.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Crystal this weekend which was their last for the season. It was a sad / happy time. Sad because it was the end and happy because it was a good day. There was really nice spring snow all day and I skied a couple of chutes that I hadn't skied all year. Now it is time to breakout the hiking boots and and backpacking gear. I'll be hoping for some good photos for photo of the day.
Well, maybe Mount Bachelor is calling. They are open till Memorial Day .

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big White closed on weekend pretty marginal conditions but the sun on Saturday and Sunday made it enjoyable,
Blackcomb also wrapped up yesterday now Whistler only to May 27

Happy Whistler instead of Blackcomb stays open this year.
However just checked site for best forcast this week and found Creekside's gondola will not upload midweek, Guess there is not enough traffic
forces me out of my parking spot and over to the darkside anyway

later start times are also in effect

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
today was last non download day of the year for me. Normally that happens in May
Doable to valley at Creekside and you still can ski to village but I would be lying if I recommended it.
Ok with the sunshine but was not great over the weekend. What traffic there was mainly stayed on groomers. Temps did not get high enough to create corn until below mid. Some alpine areas like Little Whistler still held winter snow and skied quite well but not the majority of off piste.
Coverage mid hill up is still excellent but the season is winding down.
now down to just Harmony,Peak, Red, Emerald, Tbar and the uploads for operation 10-4

TS
N

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last of the year for me. Reluctantly calling it quits early this year, to Naples on Thursday.

If anyone is still interested skiing remains decent in the alpine with pretty good coverage.
I think it's still worth a few days but I would also try to time the sun angles and ski on sunny days.

3 weeks left in season and the bikers now greatly outnumber the skiers.

SkiDB

Putting on skis
Skier
7BCDE278-8F08-454B-AF60-535634D41552.jpeg

Next to last weekend of operation at Mt. Bachelor. Conditions were better than expected, although wind and clouds kept the summit closed.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was up at Crystal today and had a ton of fun. A lot of the snow has melted out, but there is still enough hanging around Green Valley to enjoy. Weather was overcast with a couple periods of super light mist/drizzle. Not enough to really be an issue at all. Temps were warm enough to start the day soft but not too warm to get super gloppy and sticky. There is pretty thin cover at the very top of Green Valley, definitely want to have rock skis. All that said, it was a blast. For a totally unexpected weekend (they had closed back in April but opened back up for Memorial Day weekend), I couldn't have been happier. Great way to finish off the season.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
All that said, it was a blast. For a totally unexpected weekend (they had closed back in April but opened back up for Memorial Day weekend), I couldn't have been happier. Great way to finish off the season.

Just wondering how busy was it?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just wondering how busy was it?

Not busy at all. Most of the time we skied right up to the lift. Longest line was maybe 4 people in front of us. It seemed a touch more crowded than that on the slopes simply because there weren’t a lot of places to go, everyone was in a pretty small area.

I think if the weather forecast had been sunny and warm it would have been busy, but a 60% chance of showers kept a lot of people away I think. When we downloaded on the gondola, most of the people in line were scenic ride visitors (non-skiers).

Sponsor