• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wind factors also make it possible that the base in that area is deeper than 29".
It also looks like the snow that's fallen has somehow managed to stay in place. Most years it seems much of Spauding Bowl slides to the ground and has to start over. I wonder if the snowpack is different this year, or if maybe they've done something differently in terms of control and preservation?

Whatever happened it's fantastic to see the fantastic conditions so early! Glad ya'll got some great turns in one of my favorite spots anywhere. At our wedding, our tables were labeled with favorite ski runs and our head table was Spaulding Bowl. :D

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It also looks like the snow that's fallen has somehow managed to stay in place. Most years it seems much of Spauding Bowl slides to the ground and has to start over. I wonder if the snowpack is different this year, or if maybe they've done something differently in terms of control and preservation?

Whatever happened it's fantastic to see the fantastic conditions so early! Glad ya'll got some great turns in one of my favorite spots anywhere. At our wedding, our tables were labeled with favorite ski runs and our head table was Spaulding Bowl. :D

This is Nov 14th along I-70 Continental Divide after the big early Nov cycle.

25D2717B-38BE-48EE-9264-3816826F67BF.jpeg

What is striking is we look coastal, more like say the Sierra, because of high snowfall/relative density and low relative wind. The west facing aspects that are usually wind stripped are loaded.

That snow has been coming over to the east facing aspects since the wind has picked up last couple of weeks, but I think it sat there long enough to get ‘older’. There were some straight out sugar snow deposits at Luv on Tue all the way down to South Chutes, and that stuff is too granular to just blow away. We were just drooling at all that loaded terrain not open yet - there are spots that are probably 20-30” deep (not that this matters for skiing).

It’s always wind for the win around here. I love the Beavers terrain for what I’ve skied, but it’s upper reaches are a depositor, not a depositee, so I’m going to be pretty selective on skiing back there more on storm days given I vastly prefer high alpine wind load skiing to tree skiing. Enormous potential difference in what a 37” base means there vs. one of the east facing bowls right now.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I will be skiing A-Basin on Tuesday, if anyone's around..... should be there sometime after 10am. Hope to see some Pugs oot and aboot.

- Matt

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure of etiquette for a Tuesday in the Snow post. Does it need to be in Colorado? Anyway, it was my first T.i.t.s. of the season and it was Glorious.
8-10 inches of fresh snow on Tuesday morning at Jay Peak. Tram never ran due to high winds and the ridge line being closed. Ended up cycling the Flyer all morning before heading over to the Jet for an afternoon session. Temps were low teens and the wind was howling. Uncomfortable lift ride, but the soft snow was worth it.

Waiting for the Flyer to open up.
20181218_090021.jpg

Deep lines in Andre's Paradise
20181218_111946.jpg

Jay is freezing cold. Never go there.
20181218_111909.jpg

Searching for fresh snow on Monday off of the "pumphouse" (you won't find it on the trailmap, but you can see it to the looker's right of Green Beret).
This line was barely skiable off of pumphouse proper
20181217_132335.jpg

Did I mention it was Glorious?
intothetrees.jpg until next time, and may it be soon, bye....

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Did my t.i.t.s @ mammoth yesterday

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Holidays are over. So lets start up Tuesdays In The Snow 2019ed next Tue.

I now have a Copper Pass as well as the Epic. :D:D:D

So Im leaning towards Copper. :wave:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Big snow coming in later this week. I'm saving my energy!

Good idea, no skiing tomorrow, getting winter tires on my Ascent.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January