• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sunnysloper

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah that’s windy. Here’s how the National Weather Service describes wind that strong:

From https://www.weather.gov/lix/htiwind

Hurricane winds - 130 to 160 mph gusts 170+ mph: Devastating damage is expected. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer.

* At least one half of well constructed homes will have roof and wall failure. All gabled roofs will fail, leaving those homes severely damaged or destroyed.

* The majority of industrial buildings will become non functional.

* Concrete block low rise apartments will sustain major damage, including some wall and roof failure.

* High rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously, a few to the point of total collapse. All windows will blow out. Airborne debris will be widespread and may include heavy items such as household appliances and even light vehicles.

* The blown debris will create additional destruction. People, pets and livestock exposed to the winds will face certain death if struck.

* Power outages will last for weeks as most power poles will be down and transformers destroyed.

* Water shortages will make human suffering incredible by modern standards.

* The vast majority of native trees will be snapped or uprooted.

* Few crops will remain. Livestock left exposed to the winds will be killed.

———————-

Guess its a good thing there are no livestock up there.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
———————-

Guess its a good thing there are no livestock up there.

There is a human that lives up there.
I spoke to him about the weather & the sound of 181mph winds ( also the week of sia demo's 2017 ) strongest winds I'v heard of up there.
he said the sound was indescribable,

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
^^^^^^
I'd be interested to know how this years snow pack compares to 2017. The storms in January that year loaded the mountain up and the snow was reportedly 50 feet deep in some areas that benefited from wind blown snow.
Does it seem as heavy duty this year?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
^^^^^^
I'd be interested to know how this years snow pack compares to 2017. The storms in January that year loaded the mountain up and the snow was reportedly 50 feet deep in some areas that benefited from wind blown snow.
It must be getting very close to 16/17, I can't remember an open through the FOJ announcement being made this early. That is what I call a snow bank, save now, use later. Most snow ever in February with ten more days left to go.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It must be getting very close to 16/17, I can't remember an open through the FOJ announcement being made this early. That is what I call a snow bank, save now, use later. Most snow ever in February with ten more days left to go.

I don't know if 16/17 is the highest, but it's getting fairly close to the highest base depth recorded according to OpenSnow :

upload_2019-2-18_15-8-11.png

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I postponed my mammoth trip gonna try to hit it in april-june since it is likely they might have enough snow to stay open for the rest of this season and all of next season. :eek:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I postponed my mammoth trip gonna try to hit it in april-june since it is likely they might have enough snow to stay open for the rest of this season and all of next season. :eek:

They will stay open a long time, but even in the best years have rarely made it past July 4th... a warm spring/early summer can kill even the deepest snowpack. They've only stayed open until August once in history (2016/17), and closed on June 17th last year. They've made it to July 4th or later 9 times in the past 30 years.

https://www.mammothsnowman.com/wint...f-mammoth-mountain-opening-and-closing-dates/

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
2017 June temps stayed in the high 50’s everyday , put the melt on

James T Kirk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
They will stay open a long time, but even in the best years have rarely made it past July 4th... a warm spring/early summer can kill even the deepest snowpack. They've only stayed open until August once in history (2016/17), and closed on June 17th last year. They've made it to July 4th or later 9 times in the past 30 years.

https://www.mammothsnowman.com/wint...f-mammoth-mountain-opening-and-closing-dates/

Not true, the longest season was 94/95, they stayed open to 8/13, with a 10/08 opening date.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sunnysloper

Putting on skis
Skier
^^^^^^

Not yet. The snowfall numbers are close for sure but the coverage isn’t quite like Spring ‘17. All the usual runs are totally filled in right now, and in awesome shape. But in Spring of ‘17 Mammoth Mountain had it’s all of it’s unusual lines totally filled in too (Varmit’s, MJB’s, TotW type stuff) and that hasn’t happened yet.

There’s still A LOT of winter left, They’ll get there!

BTW, the top should open first thing tomorrow morning after a long closure and a ton of new snow. Back of 3 traverse was open today the conditions are really nice.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
You guys might want to check out the McCoy Cam.The nob to the left of 3 looks weird with so much snow in that area.

Sunnysloper

Putting on skis
Skier

Having the lifts running at Mammoth on July 4th nearly one out of every three years makes means they “rarely make it past July 4th”?

The July 4th thing is kind of a gimmick that’s been marketed successfully in recent years. Sure, there are “only” nine July 4th or later closings in the thirty years covered by Snowman’s records (there were big years before 1969 too) but there are *eighteen* July 1st or later closings on that list which means they’re open for at least a day in July, 3 out of every 5 years.

Could a late June, July 1st close in some past decade been stretched to the 4th with current grooming technology and marketing needs? My guess is yes but who knows.

It doesn’t really matter, its not like there’s no where to ski when the lifts stop running.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
According to the Snowman, the water content of the snow this year is a completely different ballgame. Unless, we get a lot more snow, anything past July 4 is looking unlikely. Of course, in 2017, this is the time they announced they would stay open until July 4th ... so there is certainly some hope.

I know we plan to camp and ski this year in May and June.

Sponsor

Staff online