• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading up next weekend, Feb 2-3, with my wife & the one year old. Anyone want to meet up for a few laps either day?

Also, it's our first time to Mammoth so any newbie recommendations/tips would be most appreciated. We're staying at the cinnamon bear inn b/c it seemed like a decent location and price and going to take the bus to the village. (so for instance, best locker location in the village?) It looks like we might get a small refresh, but that 10 day forecast is tricky!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We will be up from the 1st to the 4th, and wouldn't mind meeting up for a few runs. Will you and your wife be tag-teaming skiing? What type of terrain do you like to ski?

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@socalgal We will both be skiing both days. Kid is going to the childcare in the village. Hopefully it’s ok!

It’s my wife’s first time out this season, so she’ll probably want to stick to blue groomers and maybe small, soft bumps. Never know how adventurous she will get as she gets her legs back though. I’ll ski most anything on the mountain as long as you can actually “ski” it (as oppposed to hucking off cliffs!) Sometimes if there are parallel trails that vary in difficulty we’ll split and then pick a meeting spot or I’ll ski the trees next to whatever trail she’s skiing. Maybe that gives you some ideas. And thanks! :D

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Hard to beat this weeks conditions.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are wanting to leave your gear overnight, I believe there are lockers at the base of the gondola. If you are just thinking about day use, there are lockers inside Canyons which is the ski lodge once you gondola over from the village.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Question posed:
Sometimes if there are parallel trails that vary in difficulty we’ll split and then pick a meeting spot or I’ll ski the trees next to whatever trail she’s skiing. Maybe that gives you some ideas.

Chairs 3 and 5 work good for this kind of parallel skiing. There is a blue run off the back on chair 3 and a blue run on the side at chair 5. Meanwhile you can ski the black runs (bumps, trees, powder if it snowed).

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are wanting to leave your gear overnight, I believe there are lockers at the base of the gondola. If you are just thinking about day use, there are lockers inside Canyons which is the ski lodge once you gondola over from the village.

Thanks @Pat AKA mustski! Hadn’t considered the overnight option, but I think that could work *very* well to keep from schlepping skis to/from at least once. :golfclap:

Question posed:
Sometimes if there are parallel trails that vary in difficulty we’ll split and then pick a meeting spot or I’ll ski the trees next to whatever trail she’s skiing. Maybe that gives you some ideas.

Chairs 3 and 5 work good for this kind of parallel skiing. There is a blue run off the back on chair 3 and a blue run on the side at chair 5. Meanwhile you can ski the black runs (bumps, trees, powder if it snowed).
@river-z we will definitely check out chairs 3&5. Thanks for the recommendation! :thumb:

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks @Pat AKA mustski! Hadn’t considered the overnight option, but I think that could work *very* well to keep from schlepping skis to/from at least once. :golfclap:

@river-z we will definitely check out chairs 3&5. Thanks for the recommendation! :thumb:

Straight under Chair 5 is a lovely bump run that is (was) marked 'experts only' that is definitely not for experts only.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Straight under Chair 5 is a lovely bump run that is (was) marked 'experts only' that is definitely not for experts only.
Truth. If the snow is soft, I happily ski that run and I consider myself a scrappy intermediate. Your wife can scope it out from the chair and decide whether to try it or not. Also the backside - chairs 13 & 14 - have some great intermediate skiing with good off-piste opportunities for you and some really great tree skiing.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Roasty the thing about Mammoth is it’s all right there in front of you and always an easier way down.
An example is Dave’s run from the top, YOU can go over anytime while the wife can stay right the hole time , the shoulder and then come over at the bottom of the run and meet up.
Another way down from the top is the fire road that will take you to 13 and 14 where you can have a beautiful grilled cheese AND and this is a big AND THE TOMATO BISQUE !!
( Don’t pass on The Tomato Bisque )

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Better than the fire road (Roadrunner) is to just take chair 12 up and ski down under 13. Roadrunner is narrow and often icy. I am an intermediate skier and have no problem skiing down the face (groomed) from chair 23 if you want to drop in from the top.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Truth. If the snow is soft, I happily ski that run and I consider myself a scrappy intermediate. Your wife can scope it out from the chair and decide whether to try it or not. Also the backside - chairs 13 & 14 - have some great intermediate skiing with good off-piste opportunities for you and some really great tree skiing.

Scrappy intermediate! An excellent, descriptive term that I think conveys a lot about your skiing. The more I read on Pugski, the more I question my abilities and how I rate myself. Self assessment is hard.

Another way down from the top is the fire road that will take you to 13 and 14 where you can have a beautiful grilled cheese AND and this is a big AND THE TOMATO BISQUE !!
( Don’t pass on The Tomato Bisque )

Finding the good food is ALWAYS important, thanks @Viking9 sounds really great!

Better than the fire road (Roadrunner) is to just take chair 12 up and ski down under 13. Roadrunner is narrow and often icy. I am an intermediate skier and have no problem skiing down the face (groomed) from chair 23 if you want to drop in from the top.

Due to everyone’s contributions, I feel like I have a pretty darn good tentative plan. Chairs 3, 5, 13 & 14 for the win! And maybe 23!

Finally, If we’re at Outpost skiing 13 & 14 in the afternoon, what’s the best, non-challenging way to get back to the Village/Ski Back trail? Is the ski back trail worth it or is it super flat with lots of skating and should we just take the gondi back from Canyon?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally, If we’re at Outpost skiing 13 & 14 in the afternoon, what’s the best, non-challenging way to get back to the Village/Ski Back trail? Is the ski back trail worth it or is it super flat with lots of skating and should we just take the gondi back from Canyon?

From 12 - ski over to main and. ride up Broadway Express and ski down Stump Alley. Ride up Gold Rush Express and then ski back to Canyons and take the Gondi home.

Sponsor