• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Stupid crowded ....

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
For those of you without a pass, the day ticket price is $179 ,” happy holiday” price

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I'm headed to Mammoth this weekend, skiing Sunday-Tuesday. Still crazy with holiday folks?

Also, any thoughts on driving 395 in a storm? Skiing Tahoe Saturday, driving to Mammoth (hopefully...) Saturday afternoon/evening. Supposed to snow 6-10 inches that day. Won't be heartbroken if stuck in Tahoe, but have a free place to stay in Mammoth and friends to meet.

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are a couple passes that are treacherous on 395. Carry chains or 4wd - you are likely to need them. But the crazyness of I80 over Donner isn't there. Traffic is lighter and the storms tend to get wrung out by the mountains to the west so there's less snowfall. Often there's zero snowfall even in a decent storm. Ridiculous winds instead so be careful. There are a couple of reasonable detours around messy parts as well.

With that said, the route is high and you can be in the snow the entire way from Tahoe. I've crawled for many hours on 395 in the wrong storm. Stuck in Tahoe might be a good option. Check road conditions.

It's a pretty drive if you can see.

Eric

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Yeah depending on the weather, I might just skip skiing in Tahoe and drive to Mammoth at like 6 am from Reno (I get into Reno at like 10 pm Friday). I've done the drive before, in summer and winter, but my winter drive was completely without visible snow for the most part. Could definitely see potential for badness.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Skied June Mountain Friday-Saturday and it was great. Warm and sunny Friday so my kids and I had a full day on the nice wide open blue runs here. Came up with my boys this morning with it snowy and windy and they only lasted 1 run. I guess they’re too used to being warm...

But I went back up and got a couple hours of powder and refills. The J7 lift at June is fantastic in a snowstorm - plenty steep and relatively protected.

Attachments

• A6B373E0-1F1D-415C-8CF0-7C12235763A8.jpeg
    A6B373E0-1F1D-415C-8CF0-7C12235763A8.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 208B138F-6E72-40E6-85F5-1A393B27FC7B.jpeg
    208B138F-6E72-40E6-85F5-1A393B27FC7B.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 8

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Mammoth getting DUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMPPPPPPPED on as we speak, continuing through at least tomorrow. They're saying 9-13" for today with another 4-8" tomorrow. Skiing today was real windy with lots of blowing snow, poor viz, but great snow as the day progressed. Lots of lift closures due to wind. Can't wait to see what tomorrow and Monday bring!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth getting DUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMPPPPPPPED on as we speak, continuing through at least tomorrow. They're saying 9-13" for today with another 4-8" tomorrow. Skiing today was real windy with lots of blowing snow, poor viz, but great snow as the day progressed. Lots of lift closures due to wind. Can't wait to see what tomorrow and Monday bring!

The next several days look interesting on OpenSnow! (Note it's a mid-mountain forecast, not a town forecast.)

upload_2019-1-6_10-53-37.png

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
headin up on Thurs. afternoon with Santa Barb Ski Club...
ski full days - Fri-Sun
early-ups on Sat
iff'n anyone wants to do a few runs together - post here...
Normally I don;t carry my cell on the mtn - however I do have a flipfone I carry for emergencies when riding the bike...
I may decide to bring and carry on-hill for TXT - if so I can give that # via PM

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Originally had a trip planned this upcoming weekend to sun valley. Given all the new snow recently in the Sierra (and possible fresh snow in the long term forecast for the weekend) I'm toying with the idea of switching the southwest flight to reno instead and driving down to mammoth. My usual lodging option in mammoth, Motel6, is sold out. Considering getting a room in june lake. Anybody have any other suggestions for last minute lodging?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Check out the hostels: Moderne or Davison Street guest house. June is a good alternative.

Sponsor

Staff online