• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
"Well we all need, someone, we can lean on, and if you want it, well you can lean on me." Let It Bleed Rolling Stones I will'nt go into verse two. Sometimes I just gotta catch my breath.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do any Mammoth/SoCal folks know about the Wailers Ski Club out of LA, particularly their trips to Mammoth this winter? https://www.wailersskiclub.org/skitrips

Worth it? Seems like it’d be nice not to drive occasionally. And if it’s not, are there any tips about places to stay, discounts and/or general logistics for Mammoth? Besides this from @Viking9!
The only thing I would offer is if your doing Mammoth on the weekends, you might want to try leaving at 3:30 or 4:00 am Saturday morning .If you do a steady 75 on 395 these days , don’t anybody FREAK OUT that’s not speeding you won’t get a ticket, 76 and you might.5 hour drive no problem You will need to do 67 when you get to Randsburg all the way to the T at the 14 merge, that’s where the Highway Patrol guys get everybody.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've found all of 395 is a speed trap. Especially in the towns. My friend who lives in Mammoth and worked in Bishop says that section is the most ticketed section of road in the state. Get a self driving Tesla and watch Harry Potter videos to pass the time at the speed limit up 395. It is a pretty easy drive once you clear LA. Just long.

Tip to skiing from Socal? Fly to Reno and ski Tahoe. My wife's record was under 4 hours travel time to the hill at Squaw from San Diego. Zoom out of the office to the airport, TSA pre checked, no flight delays, I picked her up at the airport on time , no traffic to Squaw and we got a few laps in! Reno is surprisingly reliable for direct flights. Don't connect in Vegas.

Big Bear is surprisingly fun. Mountain High is also good and an easy drive (unless it's a good weekend and the rest of LA gridlocks the road for you - Big Bear traffic might be worse). Count on manmade snow. Join a Masters racing group locally - I know some wonderful people there. I've had a couple excellent powder days in the local mountains. Nice steep high elevation hills. Too many snowboarders and too much grooming. Definitely worth it overall.

Consider June. I've only skied it once but it was a nice hill. None of the Mammoth crowds for just a little extra drive.

Regarding the ski club trips, party buses are fun - as long as you are part of the obnoxious party. It's a long time to party if you want to ski well that day. Or work the next day. But probably a great way to meet friends.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've found all of 395 is a speed trap. Especially in the towns. My friend who lives in Mammoth and worked in Bishop says that section is the most ticketed section of road in the state. Get a self driving Tesla and watch Harry Potter videos to pass the time at the speed limit up 395. It is a pretty easy drive once you clear LA. Just long.

Tip to skiing from Socal? Fly to Reno and ski Tahoe. My wife's record was under 4 hours travel time to the hill at Squaw from San Diego. Zoom out of the office to the airport, TSA pre checked, no flight delays, I picked her up at the airport on time , no traffic to Squaw and we got a few laps in! Reno is surprisingly reliable for direct flights. Don't connect in Vegas.

Big Bear is surprisingly fun. Mountain High is also good and an easy drive (unless it's a good weekend and the rest of LA gridlocks the road for you - Big Bear traffic might be worse). Count on manmade snow. Join a Masters racing group locally - I know some wonderful people there. I've had a couple excellent powder days in the local mountains. Nice steep high elevation hills. Too many snowboarders and too much grooming. Definitely worth it overall.

Consider June. I've only skied it once but it was a nice hill. None of the Mammoth crowds for just a little extra drive.

Regarding the ski club trips, party buses are fun - as long as you are part of the obnoxious party. It's a long time to party if you want to ski well that day. Or work the next day. But probably a great way to meet friends.

Eric
I friend suggested going through Wellington, it is a but further in miles but no traps and no 20MPH speed zones.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll be heading up to Mammoth next weekend with some friends, it'll be my first time skiing out west besides some summer skiing at Squaw so I have no idea what conditions are like or what skis I want to bring. Anyone know how the early season groomers compare to here in the north east? I can bring 2 out of my FIS SL, Cheater GS, Faction CT 3.0s, or G3 Findr 94 touring skis. Suggestions? I was thinking SL then the factions just in case there is some snow, unfortunately I have to decide what to pack today instead of next week.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bring that 3.0 for sure, twin tips are built for Mammoth.Bring your favorite frontside ripper,it doesn’t matter which one. I don’t mean to be flippant about the ripper but trust me with our terrain and typical conditions you’ll see, but you do need to bring that 3.0, good chance they’ll never leave your feet.
Of course your early ,,,so there’s that.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Only reporting 14" - 20" from yesterdays storm. Slow snow start......

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do any Mammoth/SoCal folks know about the Wailers Ski Club out of LA, particularly their trips to Mammoth this winter? https://www.wailersskiclub.org/skitrips

Worth it? Seems like it’d be nice not to drive occasionally. And if it’s not, are there any tips about places to stay, discounts and/or general logistics for Mammoth? Besides this from @Viking9!

I've met a couple of people from Wailers over the years; don't recall any names or particulars. Seem to be a good bunch. All the LA Council clubs seem to be good bunches. I happened to fall in with the Edelweiss Ski Club about 10 years ago and have been coordinating with them. They have monthly bus trips Jan.-Apr. leaving from Van Nuys. They have a Dec self-drive trip going up next weekend. I won't be going but PM me if interested. I drive up for about half their trips from the Central Valley and meet them up at Mammoth. Usually sharing a condo. Good bunch, tho we are aging. It would be good to get in some young blood. I go out on the hill with 2-3 friends who ski the whole mountain, and we would certainly welcome another skiing fiend.

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
I for one hate the ski bus trips and the obnoxious group of drunks that keep me awake the entire trip. YOMV. That said, I joined two different clubs that drive up to Mammoth. That works way better for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any Reno/Tahoe folks want to head to Mammoth this week? @Tricia and I are thinking about heading down Wed or Thursday, is anyone going to be around?

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've met a couple of people from Wailers over the years; don't recall any names or particulars. Seem to be a good bunch. All the LA Council clubs seem to be good bunches. I happened to fall in with the Edelweiss Ski Club about 10 years ago and have been coordinating with them.

Thanks @cosmoliu I didn’t even know to look for the LA Council, so finding their website is very helpful. Edelweiss is a lovely name, I could get behind a ski club with it.

I for one hate the ski bus trips and the obnoxious group of drunks that keep me awake the entire trip. YOMV. That said, I joined two different clubs that drive up to Mammoth. That works way better for me.

@liv2ski I was kinda getting that feeling^^^ from the wailers website, so thanks for the warning. That’s something I’d rather avoid as well.:thumb: If I’m going to spend hours getting there, spending $$$, etc., I want to go skiing!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LA Council is a sub set of the Far West Ski Assn. Each year Far West does a big trip to a western resort, this year's is to Steamboat the first week of Feb. There's usually 300+ participants and can be a lot of fun. With that many people they get pretty good pricing power and the resorts seem to woo the association officers to get their resort chosen. I've been on about a half dozen of those trips, but not in the last couple of years.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Any Reno/Tahoe folks want to head to Mammoth this week? @Tricia and I are thinking about heading down Wed or Thursday, is anyone going to be around?

I'm here for a few days. Ran into a few reno folks this morn.
Groomer are pretty hero, the top needs more inho

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Storm on the way
Clouds & wind building this morning

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS