• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
depends on June temps, 2017 June stayed in the high 50’s all month
Still looking forward to a great spring

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Mammoth have enough snow to make it 12 months....will they try?

Does having lift served mountain biking (they do, right?) increase the odds of staying open for skiing for 12 months, since they have to run the lifts anyway? That would be neat, but I still think it's unlikely. They'd have to make it to November 10th.

Sunnysloper

Putting on skis
Skier
At the end of last season (June 2018) there was a portable surface lift behind Chair 3 at the bottom of Climax, just above Dry Creek. The area it served was roped off and as far as I know it wasn’t open to the public, just to what appeared to be race camps. If they use something like that this season and open it to everyone, year round skiing would probably be possible.

In 2017 there was enough snow back there to ski on until at least October:

http://thesheetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The-Sheet_10.07.2017.pdf

Maintaining the snow at the top and bottom of chair 3 seemed to be what end that season. If they could move the lift around back they wouldn’t necessarily have that problem. I don’t think there’s as much snow on the ground this year however.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
So my dear wife suggested we leave for our ski vacation in June Lake one day early (tomorrow - Tuesday) in order to avoid traveling through the snowstorm on Wednesday. WHICH MEANS I get a riders on the storm day on Wednesday! I'm planning on making the most of the lower part of June Mnt, which I've looked at many times on my ride up but have never skied because of poor coverage.

And then when when I go up with my kids on Thursday (they don't particularly care for riders on the storm action ... cookies movies and games with grandma for them) I'll be hitting the leftover fresh on the sides of the runs. WOOOO!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We are up here now and had a bad day today, stormy and no visibility,fell over because of a verdigo feeling and hit my head !
Argh! Sorry- vertigo sucks and the only solution is get in tight to the trees. It can ruin a day quickly.

Does Mammoth have enough snow to make it 12 months....will they try?
Nope. They had better snow 2 seasons ago and August was the best they could do. I’ll take August- how about you?

Does having lift served mountain biking (they do, right?) increase the odds of staying open for skiing for 12 months, since they have to run the lifts anyway? That would be neat, but I still think it's unlikely. They'd have to make it to November 10th.
No. The mountain biking is out of Canyons which will close after Easter. The spring-summer skiing will be out of Main which is higher altitude. In 2016/17, we had both open at the same time which was kind of cool.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone skiing Mammoth tomorrow? My daughter is going to take a day off so I’ll be going solo. Just wondering if anyone that might be going would mind me tagging along for a little while. We went this morning for the first time and visibility was poor so I didn’t quite figure out my way around.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m not but I’m going to to talk to the Gods of Mammoth about the weather, I told you the mountain is right in front of you and here it is socked in.
In the immortal words of Joe Fox “ it would be a shame to miss Mammoth in the spring “.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m not but I’m going to to talk to the Gods of Mammoth about the weather, I told you the mountain is right in front of you and here it is socked in.
In the immortal words of Joe Fox “ it would be a shame to miss Mammoth in the spring “.

Tomorrow hopefully will be a little better and Friday/Saturday looks nice. I’ll be fine finding my way around, just thought i would throw it out there and see if someone was going to be around.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
0D3443BF-6A3D-4759-BFEA-1A2BB4BA9214.jpeg I spent the afternoon skiing the lower part of June Mountain for the first time and it was creamy. About 5 inches fresh on steep terrain and I had every run to myself.

I’m skiing with my kids Thursday and Saturday here at June, but might go to Mammoth on Friday morning.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Given current snow pack - how much terrain would be open in early/mid May? Best guess.

The latest I've ever skied was April 24 at A-Basin, thinking about extending that "record".

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Late update. Yesterday was socked in but the Canyons was open and it was hero snow. Great fun on Avalnche and the runs the parrallel it. Today was glorius though the top of the mountain was windy. Chair 5 was the ticket. 10 to 20 of fresh depending on where you went. Lower Dry Creek kicked my ass. Skied Upper Dry creek for one run. The closed sign blew over and was covered in snow. Ski patrol snag the three of us at the bottom and was about to yank our passes when they called down from above and validated our claim of no sign. Great day!

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given current snow pack - how much terrain would be open in early/mid May? Best guess.

The latest I've ever skied was April 24 at A-Basin, thinking about extending that "record".

A local can probaby give a better guess, but here is mine based on three trips in mid to late May. Not a matter of snowpack (this year) as much as stafffing and amount of customers.

Likely

Broadway #1
Stump Alley #2
Facelift #3
Gondi 1 &2 (if not down for maintenance)

Maybe (more likley earlier)

Gold Rush #10
High Five #5

Unlikley

Everything else, including Canyon and Eagle Lodges and Backside except for Roadrunner run

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I was at Mammoth this morning and the conditions there are fantastic - top to bottom. The ungroomed runs are soft and bumps not all that big. The top had some powder + wind buff that got torn up in short order. And the groomers ripped. In related news, my legs are shot.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was at Mammoth this morning and the conditions there are fantastic - top to bottom. The ungroomed runs are soft and bumps not all that big. The top had some powder + wind buff that got torn up in short order. And the groomers ripped. In related news, my legs are shot.

I was there all day today as well and I completely agree, great day!!

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I was there all day today as well and I completely agree, great day!!
Glad you enjoyed it.
What were your favorite parts of the mountain?

For my own part I’d been looking forward all month to going down Climax and Dropout, and they did not disappoint. Gravy Chute was fun too.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Glad you enjoyed it.
What were your favorite parts of the mountain?

For my own part I’d been looking forward all month to going down Climax and Dropout, and they did not disappoint. Gravy Chute was fun too.

We enjoyed Cornice Bowl. Someone had told me they normally groom that but hadn’t yesterday so it was fun to find a place to drop in, we lapped it several times. The very top of Climax looked a little too intense for us. After our legs burned out we went over to the backside down Road Runner and did Santiago Bowl, that area was fun. Great place all around.

Sponsor

Staff online