• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2018-2019 Hokkaido Japan

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh why not... I might as well start a thread as I'm leaning toward spending another winter in Hokkaido. I profess to knowing nothing about skiing in Honshu

Last year I used this Aussie site for some travel logistics:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/forums/japan.51/

I'll try to post some lessons learned from last winter over the next month or two. Perhaps one on ground transportation from airport and to various resorts, day travel lift ticket/shuttle packages, comparison of the popular resorts, the art of onsen (hot spring), and specialty food/winter cultural events.

Snowfall was reported at Asahidake and Kurodake August 16. According to my Google Flight email notification, the price for December departure LAX to CTS (Chitose near Sapporo) hovering around $1,000 has come down to $680-800 range in the past week.

One cannot start a thread without a photo...so I'm sharing a photo of Mt Rishiri I found online.

Last edited:
TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi folks from Sapporo, I was injured early January in Tahoe and am benched for a while although some days it can feel more like house arrest. Have fun and be safe out there, everyone. Sorry I'm putting this thread on the back burner.

Now back to my Sisyphean effort at learning the Japanese language... am incredibly thankful for the kanji characters learned from childhood. However, I have special affinity for useless things like names of trees, plants, prefectures/places/geography, and textile patterns...and unfortunately still cannot remember how to say simple greetings...Somehow Japanese sometimes get a bit mixed up with my high school Spanish. :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid